Highlighted
Level 12: Master Detective

TG797n Feature Settings Questions

Answered

So we just received our new Technicolor TG797n - more affectionately known as the "Telstra T-Gateway" - and I have a few questions regarding its features and their use, as well as the purpose and/or optimal status for certain settings within the modem/router...

But first, the easiest question of all - what is the process to update the firmware on my TG797n ("T-Gateway")?

Next up, what is the difference between "PPPoEDSL", "PPPoeWAN" and "IPoEDSL" and "IPoeWAN"? The "EDSL" is regular ADSL/ADSL 2/ADSL 2+ and the "EWAN" is the NBN (National Broadband Network), right?

So then what's the difference between "PPPo" and "IPo"?

Next, "Telephony" and "SIP" are enabled by default - these are for VoIP, right? I don't use VoIP at this time, so I can safely disable these setting, right (I only use the software version of Skype for Windows 8...)?

Regarding security, I use CheckPoint's "ZoneAlarm Extreme Security" - known to be one of the strongest firewalls available to consumers (if not the strongest!) - do I really need the TG797n Intrusion Detection and Firewall activated?

Is there any benefits to disabling these settings?

Any advantages to enabling Dynamic DNS? It's disabled by default?

I'm having some trouble connecting to my NAS (Network Attached Storage) server with our new modem - the "Content Sharing" feature is disabled by default, could this have anything to do with it?

What does the "Channel Width" setting do (with regards to the WLAN/Wi-Fi), and what is the optimal setting?

Obviously the "Eco" feature is some sort of power-saving functionality, but how does it work and are there any settings I could or need to play around with?

I see "Voice" and "DECT" lights on the front of my modem/router - what are these for and how do I use them?

And now the tricky question - I have the old modem/router (specifically, the Thompson TG782(T))(actually, I have two of them for some reason, one never opened!), can I "bridge" it to my new modem/router to create some sort of "super" network with a wider coverage footprint?

Yeah, it's a random question... But surely I'm not the first person that's thought of doing this?

NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: TG797n Feature Settings Questions

@gregoryopera wrote:

So we just received our new Technicolor TG797n - more affectionately known as the "Telstra T-Gateway" - and I have a few questions regarding its features and their use, as well as the purpose and/or optimal status for certain settings within the modem/router...

But first, the easiest question of all - what is the process to update the firmware on my TG797n ("T-Gateway")?

Next up, what is the difference between "PPPoEDSL", "PPPoeWAN" and "IPoEDSL" and "IPoeWAN"? The "EDSL" is regular ADSL/ADSL 2/ADSL 2+ and the "EWAN" is the NBN (National Broadband Network), right?

Next, "Telephony" and "SIP" are enabled by default - these are for VoIP, right? I don't use VoIP at this time, so I can safely disable these setting, right (I only use the software version of Skype for Windows 8...)?

Regarding security, I use CheckPoint's "ZoneAlarm Extreme Security" - known to be one of the strongest firewalls available to consumers (if not the strongest!) - do I really need the TG797n Intrusion Detection and Firewall activated?

I'm having some trouble connecting to my NAS (Network Attached Storage) server with our new modem - the "Content Sharing" feature is disabled by default, could this have anything to do with it?

What does the "Channel Width" setting do (with regards to the WLAN/Wi-Fi), and what is the optimal setting?

Obviously the "Eco" feature is some sort of power-saving functionality, but how does it work and are there any settings I could or need to play around with?

I see "Voice" and "DECT" lights on the front of my modem/router - what are these for and how do I use them?

And now the tricky question - I have the old modem/router (specifically, the Thompson TG782(T))(actually, I have two of them for some reason, one never opened!), can I "bridge" it to my new modem/router to create some sort of "super" network with a wider coverage footprint?

Yeah, it's a random question... But surely I'm not the first person that's thought of doing this?

Greg,

to some of your questions on the TG797n - T-Gateway:

Firmware updates:

FIrmware updates are managed via Telstra over Telstra's remote management system.  These updates may occur from time to time.

Authentication types:

The various "PPPo" and IPo" as you have listed below are related to the various methods this gateway can authenticate and also subject to what connection port you are using.

For services that are provisioned via the 'Telephone port' on the gateway, may use authentication types of 'PPPoEDSL' or IPoEDSL'.

For services that are provisioned via the 'RED Ethernet WAN port' (such as NBN) my use authentication types of 'PPPoEWAN' or IPoEWAN'.

SIP:

You may disable the 'Telephony' and SIP details.

FIrewall:

If you are using an external FIrewall application on your PC, you may disable the Firewall on the gateway.  But please do note, that the Firewall on the gateway is a firewall to protect any Home Network device connected to the gateway, whilst ZoneAlarm in this instance only protects the machines that have it installed

Dynamic DNS:

Dynamic DNS is used when you are trying to run your own custom servers in your home network and make them accessible from a remote location (ftp or httpd servers, are typically ones customers may set up)

Content Sharing:

This section of the gateway is for the gateway in build DLNA DMS, and the FTP file serving on the gateway when a USB HDD is attached to the gateway.  It should not conflict with your NAS.  <-- On your NAS do you know what it's IP address is?

Wi-Fi Channel Width:

Channel width selection between 20/40 MHz is allowing you to increase the bandwidth of the theoretical Wi-Fi throughput when connected  on the gateway.  If 40 MHz is selected and your computer has a Wi-Fi adaptor that is marked to be supporting 'Wi-Fi N 300mpbs', this "Link Rate" reading will then be supported.

ECO:

THe Eco function on the gateway is a quick way of 'disabling' the Wi-Fi access point on the gateway.  This will reduce the amount of power consumed by the gateway. Note: any connected device over Wi-Fi will not be able to connect when ECO is activated.  LED will be "Blue" when it is on.

DECT:

The T-Gateway has a build in DECT module, as the reference suggests.  This will support the pairing of DECT handsets to the gateway, so phone calls can be made. 

Bridging Gateway:

Yes, the TG797n or "Telstra T-Gateway" can be set into 'bridged' mode.  This will then allow you to have another Router attached behind it to handle all your in home networking functions.  Note, when bridging your T-Gateway, you will only be able to receive limited Technical support.

To enter the gateway into 'bridge', you will need to run the 'in-build' Configuration Wizard, and manually select the 'Bridged Mode' option.

Final note: Most of the categories are applicable for the TG587n as well, with the exception of the 'SIP and DECT' categories

Hope this helps.

Chi

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@gregoryopera wrote:

Greg,

to some of your questions on the TG797n - T-Gateway:

Firmware updates:

FIrmware updates are managed via Telstra over Telstra's remote management system.  These updates may occur from time to time.

Authentication types:

The various "PPPo" and IPo" as you have listed below are related to the various methods this gateway can authenticate and also subject to what connection port you are using.

For services that are provisioned via the 'Telephone port' on the gateway, may use authentication types of 'PPPoEDSL' or IPoEDSL'.

For services that are provisioned via the 'RED Ethernet WAN port' (such as NBN) my use authentication types of 'PPPoEWAN' or IPoEWAN'.

SIP:

You may disable the 'Telephony' and SIP details.

FIrewall:

If you are using an external FIrewall application on your PC, you may disable the Firewall on the gateway.  But please do note, that the Firewall on the gateway is a firewall to protect any Home Network device connected to the gateway, whilst ZoneAlarm in this instance only protects the machines that have it installed

Dynamic DNS:

Dynamic DNS is used when you are trying to run your own custom servers in your home network and make them accessible from a remote location (ftp or httpd servers, are typically ones customers may set up)

Content Sharing:

This section of the gateway is for the gateway in build DLNA DMS, and the FTP file serving on the gateway when a USB HDD is attached to the gateway.  It should not conflict with your NAS.  <-- On your NAS do you know what it's IP address is?

Wi-Fi Channel Width:

Channel width selection between 20/40 MHz is allowing you to increase the bandwidth of the theoretical Wi-Fi throughput when connected  on the gateway.  If 40 MHz is selected and your computer has a Wi-Fi adaptor that is marked to be supporting 'Wi-Fi N 300mpbs', this "Link Rate" reading will then be supported.

ECO:

THe Eco function on the gateway is a quick way of 'disabling' the Wi-Fi access point on the gateway.  This will reduce the amount of power consumed by the gateway. Note: any connected device over Wi-Fi will not be able to connect when ECO is activated.  LED will be "Blue" when it is on.

DECT:

The T-Gateway has a build in DECT module, as the reference suggests.  This will support the pairing of DECT handsets to the gateway, so phone calls can be made. 

Bridging Gateway:

Yes, the TG797n or "Telstra T-Gateway" can be set into 'bridged' mode.  This will then allow you to have another Router attached behind it to handle all your in home networking functions.  Note, when bridging your T-Gateway, you will only be able to receive limited Technical support.

To enter the gateway into 'bridge', you will need to run the 'in-build' Configuration Wizard, and manually select the 'Bridged Mode' option.

Final note: Most of the categories are applicable for the TG587n as well, with the exception of the 'SIP and DECT' categories

Hope this helps.

Chi

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Chi,

Firstly, let me thank you for your reply - you've been extremely helpful thus far. I do however, have a few point which I would like clarified...

When you say that you guys handle the firmware updates remotely, are you talking OTA (over-the-air), like with the T-Box and whatnot?

Does it matter that the default setting for "Remote Assistance" on the T-Gateway (TG797n) is "disabled"?

The "Telephony", "SIP" and "DECT" features - these are for VoIP, right? Will these work with any old VoIP service (specifically, Skype) using a compatible DECT handset, or is there more to it than that?

The IP address for my Stora NAS is 10.0.0.2 (well, as far as I know this is the IP address, anyway) - if I login via http://www.mystora.com, I get re-directed to "http://10.0.0.2/" (as was the case with my previous modem/router/access point, the Thompson TG782(T)), however if I try to access my Stora NAS via My Network Places (or simply "Network", as it's known in Windows 8), I simpy cannot "see" it... Furthermore, the mounted shortcuts in My Computer that I created previously tell me the Stora NAS cannot be found!

Regarding the channel width, I have this set to 20/40MHz (the default setting was 40MHz) - will this still enable 802.11n-compatible devices to theoretically achieve faster speeds (which is what I assume you mean by "Link Rate")?

As for the bridging, well I've got an early start tomorrow, so I'll have to come back to that, in a different thread if I still need help...

But to clarify my understanding of bridging, if I "bridge" all three of my modems/routers/access points (the TG797n, and two TG782(T)s), I should theoretically be able to expand the coverage of my wireless network significantly, right?

Will the fact that the TG782(T) doesn't support 802.11n affect performance in anyway?

Lastly, have you seen my other threads?

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Gigabit-Ethernet-on-the-TG979n/m-p/127586

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/TG797n-Can-t-Connect-to-Stora/m-p/127576

You've been pretty helpful here, so perhaps you'd be able to assist me with these issues also?

NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Greg,

As per 'Jupiter's' comment, have you tried out your NAS connecting to any other LAN port on the T-gateway to verify that the NAS is functioning properly and LAN switch is working on the T-Gateway?

If you have and then re-attached, the NAS to the T-Gateway "GbE" port without success, maybe try to connect another device to the GbE port to verify that it is not faulty.

Chi

Highlighted

Yeah, I got it sorted.

Hey Chi, those firmware updates - does "Remote Assistance" need to be enabled? It's disabled by default...

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@gregoryopera wrote:

Yeah, I got it sorted.

Hey Chi, those firmware updates - does "Remote Assistance" need to be enabled? It's disabled by default...

Hi Greg,

Firmware updates are performed using other internal Telstra systems.  The 'Remote Assistance' feature, is not required for the firmware updates.

Remote assistance is really a feature, for customers who are less confident in performing any kind of configuration/modification to 'default' gateway settings.

Or atlernatively, it can be used as a 'Remote Access' to your gateway interface, when you are away (if Set up as "Permanent Mode").

Chi

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

You say the led will be blue when it is on.

Does this mean the blue light is on when eco is on or

the blue light is on when wireless is on and using more power?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Himsy, 

LED will be "Blue" when it is on -> meaning when the Wi-Fi access point on the gateway is disabled the ECO LED will be Blue.

The ECO light will be either Green, Blue or Red.  When the ECO light is blue it means the Wi-Fi has been disabled and no Wi-Fi enabled device will be able to connect to your TG797n modem. 

Hope this clears things up.

-BenD

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

ty that cleared it up perfectly Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Chi you say
"Or atlernatively, it can be used as a 'Remote Access' to your gateway interface, when you are away (if Set up as "Permanent Mode")."
but i have done this and it just keeps going to login page

Ash
Highlighted

Hi,

Is there a way to disable Intrusion Detection? I need to run a network control software on my pc, to provent someone's high speed uploading in my home, that may affect my online game. But it seems Intrusion Detection denied the access of the network controller.

Regards

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Yaoyu, 

We'll get our Tech Team to take a look at your post on Monday and see if there is anything they can recommend :-)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thank you

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more