Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

TG797n V3 no longer connets to the internet

Answered

Hi,

New to the forum and internet in general lol, and I’ve come here seeking some assistance if possible.

I signed up with BigPond on an ADSL 200GB Liberty plan and have been happily using the TG797n V3 modem supplied by Telstra for the last few weeks, but now I can no longer connect to the internet at all.

Since Friday morning (going on 3 days now) the ECO light on the modem itself stays a constant solid red at all times and the Internet light no longer appears, no amount of resetting does anything. All other lights such as Ethernet, Wireless, WAN etc are still green like they always have been.

Now I’ve gone through the (rather useless) step by step troubleshooting section on their site but to no avail, so I’ve come here to see if there may be a simple fix before I make the call to BigPond customer support.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: TG797n V3 no longer connets to the internet

Hey DanDan, Welcome to CS

Sounds like a connection issue, or (username and password) configuration problem. Good idea to login into the modem interface and check if your details are correct. 

To do this just follow the following steps found here

if no joy, I've private messaged you with a form to send me your details.

- Jon 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey DanDan, Welcome to CS

Sounds like a connection issue, or (username and password) configuration problem. Good idea to login into the modem interface and check if your details are correct. 

To do this just follow the following steps found here

if no joy, I've private messaged you with a form to send me your details.

- Jon 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I am having the same error has this been fixed or not since if so I could use the help
Highlighted

Re: TG797n V3 no longer connects to the Internet

I have the similar problem with a Techicolour TG587n V3 modem. Even with the internet light is green I still can not connect to the internet without resetting the modem. This happens every time I turn the computer on. The modem is always on for the T-hub. I don't have to re-enter user name or password - just open up the modem home page and reset or reboot the modem and then it works. Turn off the computer and then on again and I have to go through the same procedure again.

Highlighted

I need help with Same problem
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Sam,

It might be best to give us a call on 133933. We can walk through a modem factory reset and see if we can get this modem functioning correctly Smiley Happy

Brodie

Highlighted

I was interested to see this thread had something like 25,000 views! That tells me there are a few frustrated people out there using this modem. My elderly parents are in a retirment living scenario. They run a very simple laptop set up and have a 200gb data plan, as part of a Telstra bundle. Dad occasionaly logs on to update a Kindle reader. 

The modem in question, seems to forever show a solid red light next to the 'internet'. The cable goes from the modem, to a splitter to a wall socket. There is a line coming into the house, with dial tone. 

What am I missing and why will the modem not connect to the internet? I have tried just about everything, in regards to reboots, unplugged/re-plugged, powered off/on - and it's driving us all bananas. 

What would be the step-by-step process, to eliminate issues, and eventually solve whether the issue is the modem itself, or the line coming into the house. 

The parents are not at all tech savvy, so will need myself or brother, in situ to try to resolve. If anyone reading this has a similar story, and managed to solve it, and could offer some advice, that would be terrific. 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi richiec,

I apologise for the delayed response. Hopefully you have been able to resolve this issue by now, but just in case you still need assistance, my response is below.

If the WAN light on the modem is green but the Internet light is red, this would indicate that the modem is able to communicate with our network but has the incorrect username/password configured within the modem.

It would also be worthwhile to ensure that the equipment in the premises is isolated appropriately as described in the following link: How to perform an Isolation Test

- Shelly

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Sam ,ring that number and you will be in for a treat. I have been talking to these Telstra Technicians since my internet speed dropped to half on March 16 at 7.30 am. Have spoken to 6 different operaters who don't have a clue if your problem is not on a sheet or on their screen.They could not even help with the set up of the new TG797 I recieved 8 days later that was going to fix my problem. It didn't. So here we are 10 days later and I still cannot properly connect to Perfect Golf in Steam and play with my friends  from overseas that I have been playing with for years.I have a Technician coming to my place on the 29th who is probably going to tell that the reason I am no longer getting my normal speed is because of some upgrade work to my exchange.I would really like a Technician from Australia to test my line and actually speak to me ON THE PHONE about this modem and what has happened on March 16 in my exchange.

Highlighted

I have no internet. The line has dial tone. Done a isolation test. Multiple resets and even bought a new modem. This is totally out of the blue. Have to do bas and other business work. Have employed a baby sitter so i could work but couldn't because internet was down. Have rang the help line. They got me to reset my modem 3 times with no avail. They finally admitted they can even see my modem from their end. This was after being on the phone for over an hour. Have a tech coming friday. I agree he is going to tell me that there is work being done on a line somewhere. Agree with yhe bloke above.
Highlighted

Its now 2016. I bought one of these modems from my telstra business outlet 6 months ago. Since Tuesday i am getting the same problem..6days ago.. my ISP cannot fix it. .have no idea why i am not connecting. Have worked with support for hours each day.. Anyone have any idea how to resolve this?????
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Beep1,

When you have contacted your ISP they will be able to run a line test to see if the modem is achieving sync. If it is not achieving sync it is likely a faulty modem and I recommend taking this back to the store to diagnose. If it is achieving sync there may be an issue with the settings that need to be corrected.

-Chris

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more