CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

TG799 ADSL Ethernet working but WIFI not connecting!

I have been having trouble with WIFI connection for the last couple of weeks. The Telstra TG797nv3 I’d had for about for about 6 months had been working fine (both WIFI and Ethernet) started having intermittent issues with WIFI.

Nothing around my home or the modem had changed (i.e. no new “microwaves” or other electronic devices installed, no new walls built or wiring modified etc.)  

I made a number of calls to Telstra ending up with a new modem being sent to me. It is the latest TG799vac. I am still having the same problems with the new modem.

Ethernet cable connected computers are working fine, good speed and no interruption to service all the time that the WIFI issues are happening.

WIFI however is very problematic and extremely frustrating.  The issues are random and intermittent. Sometimes it will connect and work for a few hours. Other times it will refuse to connect at all. Most times it will “connect” but not have internet access.

This will occur even in the same room as the modem, with a strong signal so it’s not about range or interference!

It is also occurring with different types of devices – we have Samsung & Apple mobile phones, Windows and Apple laptops as well as iPads all having the same problems, so it is not a device/brand/operating system issue!

Yes, I have restarted the modem and also reset to default numerous times!

Yes, I have restarted the devices/ turned off WIFI etc. numerous times.

Yes, the correct PPE username & password are entered in the modem.

Yes, I have tried different channels 1, 5, 6, 11 etc. both on 2.4 & 5Ghz.

Yes, I have tried turning off/just using 2.4 or 5 Ghz.

Yes, I’ve tried numerous combinations of the advanced settings.

This is driving me crazy! I am paying for a service that I am not getting and having to waste valuable data on mobile devices to make up for it. I have a full Telstra bundle of home phone, internet, mobile, Presto etc. but am at the point of going to another provider because of this!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: TG799 ADSL Ethernet working but WIFI not connecting!

Hi JohnWR,

It looks like you've done quite a bit of the required troubleshooting, so you may need to look for an external cause for this interference.  

Radio Frequency Interference [RFI] is more common than people expect it can be caused by a number of different devices such wireless phones, mobile phones, Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS), fluorescent & halogen lights, dimmer switches, faulty power packs on laptops and treadmills to name a few.  

Some of our Crowdsupport contributors have some interesting stories about this, one had connection drop out whenever his neighbour started using his Drone. One of the strangest examples of RFI is a beer fridge that created a black spot in the Telstra Mobile Network. You can find the news article here: 
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/fridge-fault-causes-telstra-mobile-network-blackouts/story...

Here are a few more Crowdsupport articles about similar issues:

Did-someone-try-to-hack-or-Jam-my-TGN797-v3-last-night 

ADSL-dropouts-not-just-a-myth 

In order to try and track it down you could try our 'Telstra WiFi Maximiser' app which can check the WiFi coverage in your premises.  It can be downloaded from: http://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/getwifi/  There are other 3rd party tools called Wifi/Network Analysers which diagnose various problems in your wifi network setup and Internet connectivity, some even come with a radar feature which allows you to track down rouge signals.

Give this a go and see if this helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more