Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

TG799vac pppoe details reverting to former owner

Answered

The tesltra tech in town gave me the old Centrelink/DHS modem when he replaced all their equipment locally for them.   It is a Telstra home gateway max tg799vac. He seemed to think with a factory reset it would be fine.

It works really well on my internode connection except that every time the modem is power cycled (or if ADSL sync drops for any reason), the old pppoe username and password (a Bigpond username) replaces my internode details and the internet won't connect.

From a bit of online research it seems some sort of Remote Management System sends through the username and password based on the serial number of the modem at the time of connection (and before an actual internet connection is established). This effectively makes the modem into more electronic junk unless it can be fixed.

I ran off with the tip 'Telstra need to remove the serial number from RMS (Remote Management Support) database'. Unfortunately after I ran through several levels of Telstra support by online chat and phone, they weren't able to help me with this. Their unhelpful suggestions were to contact internode or Technicolor (who manufacture the modem). Given that I was not a Telstra customer I was still mildly impressed they didn't hang up on me.

But their should be some responsibility here to allow working electronics to be reused and not just dumped.

I have Googled quite a bit of technical information about how and why this happens but none of it is going to make this modem work through a restart.

I did try a factory reset and just about everything else in the modem interface (which is pretty limited).

potential confounding factors:

*I am connected through the same DSLAM on the same exchange as the old modem user was.
*The previous owners were a government body so perhaps they have some unique access/ lockdown on their devices which normal Telstra support can't access.

Any ideas/ contacts how I can fix this one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: TG799vac pppoe details reverting to former owner

I'd reconmend getting a different modem to use with your internet service. From my understanding only the account holder can request that modem have that feature disabled. The tech shouldn't have given it away in the first place.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I'd reconmend getting a different modem to use with your internet service. From my understanding only the account holder can request that modem have that feature disabled. The tech shouldn't have given it away in the first place.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to give up. I have worked out this modem works well as a modem in bridge mode. I'll pair it with a Gargoyle router and call it done.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more