Transfloat
Level 3: Gumshoe

TG800vac port forwrding

Answered

I have an application that requires port forwarding.    The application is "Wires-X".

Background

The application was working correctly using an older Telstra BigPond Thompson TG782T gateway.

Unfortunatly the wireless antenna was broken & a new unit, a Telstra TG800vac has replaced the old Gateway.

The application that requires the port forwarding is not working with the new gateway as the ports are not opened.

The application has UPNP capability for setting the ports in the modem - Not working on the TG800vac with the application

(UPNP did work on the old unit)  Numerous restarts of both the computer and the Gateway were done

Manual setting of the required ports again - not working on the TG800vac with the same computer setup and program

numerous restarts of the computer and gateway were done

A web based port check was done and none of the ports were able to be seen from outside in the cloud

Set gateway firewall to the lowest seting - again not working restart computer and gateway to no avail

Turned off computer firewall & restart computer and Gateway to no avail - turned computer firewall back on

I request that Telstra respond to and address each of the below

Is the Telstra TG800vac fully enabled and capable of port forwarding to run my software in, as my previous Telsta BigPond Thompson TG782T did with my software?

Is the Telstra TG800vac fully enabled and capable of Plug and Play port forwarding as my previous Telstra Bigpond Thompson TG782T did with my software?

Why is the firmware "cut down" on the new gateway and not featuring the capability of setting up and naming an appliaction for port forwarding?  Is there a firmware update proposed to address known issues? - if so what tare the known issues?

In what areas is the TG800vac less capable or more difficult to use or setup compared to the ThompsonTG782?

Does Telstra have the capability to Identify and sort this problem of port forwarding out in a timely manner?

The Unit appears to be missing  the User Manual.

Does Telstra have available a comprehensive User Manual or other documentation / specifications for the TG800vac?

- I request Telstra supply / make available a comprehensive User Manual & specifications & any other documentation for the TG800vac - ( not the piece piece of cardboard Quick start guide supplied with the unit)

Telstra Phone support have directed me to Telstra paid service for port forwarding - I have a problem here

1. It would be unconscionable to supply a complex device with no proper user manual or specifications and then say "you need to pay us more to have us sort out out what should be basic setup stuff that was easy and worked out of the box on our previous supplied units

2. The supplied package includes no specifications or statement of the capabilities of the device - Telstra crowd support forum indicate that other modems by Techniclour appear to have features disabled that one would expect to be there given the user interface.

3. The unit appears not to work as it should with regards port forwarding

I am concerned that Telstra have supplied a gateway ( stated as their BEST UNIT) that may not have the capabilities and functionality of older units, (capability that would be expected in any modern decent commercially available unit and that they have failed to disclose this to customers).

Any comments or support frm the community in relation to the above would be most welcome

Regards

John Allen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Transfloat
Accepted Solution

Re: TG800vac port forwrding

Darrell 2007

The TG800vac is capable of port forwarding - successfully! -  mine is now working with manual setup of ports.

- The UPNP continues to play dead.

For manual forwarding of ports you must set each and every port individually and direct them to teh computer

There is means in the device for specifying fixed IP address, This needs the mac Adddress of the computer or device that requires the fixed IP address.   I have also adjusted my DHCP range to not cover the area used for the fixed IP address.

regards

John Allen

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Darrell007
Level 2: Rookie

I am having  same issue's with Port forwarding .I cant Host  rfactor 2 though Steam tanymore with new TG800vac

Transfloat
Accepted Solution

Darrell 2007

The TG800vac is capable of port forwarding - successfully! -  mine is now working with manual setup of ports.

- The UPNP continues to play dead.

For manual forwarding of ports you must set each and every port individually and direct them to teh computer

There is means in the device for specifying fixed IP address, This needs the mac Adddress of the computer or device that requires the fixed IP address.   I have also adjusted my DHCP range to not cover the area used for the fixed IP address.

regards

John Allen

View solution in original post

bullockornis
Level 6: Bloodhound

This is an old thread.

Anyone watching it now?  Anyone with knowledge of these TG800vac routers?

Mine is not forwarding.

And Telstra is  not helping.

That post about doing it 'manually'  I don't understand.  There's only the one way available on the router that I can see.

Perhaps he means as against an app that claims to do it for you?  Not relevant to me.  I want to forward to my IP cameras and my IIS.

You get to that page and write in the port numbers, select the protocol, give it a name,  select the computer from the drop down or write the IP in yourself (makes no difference)..  that's it.

I need some help.  Anyone?

Transfloat

by manual port forwarding, I mean that you have to set port individually - you cannot select an application in a dropdown box that will then set the port configuration for you ( as you can with some for friendly devices).    you will need to go into the web page for the router for this setup proceedure.  there must be no errors in the setup ( numbers wrong etc) 

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You should manually assign an IP to each of the devices first and I suggest starting a bit higher in the number range eg: 10.0.0.100 

Within the Advanced menu to go Local Network then Add Static Lease.

Once done, restart the modem, configure your port forwarding.

Try another restart if this still doesn't work.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Boris_Locks
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,

I've just had NBN installed and have this model of router.

I have exactly the same issue, cannot port forward.

My old router handled this without issue.

I have set up exactly the same way no joy.

Ports do not seem to be open.

Router has latest firmware.

Any info / screen shots of config would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You need to assign all devices a local static IP within the modem interface, restart the modem and then you should be able to assign ports

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more