Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

TP-Link TL-MR6400 Wireless 300Mbps N 4G LTE Router work on Telstra 4G or not

Hi,

I am trying to understand whether buying a wireless router and inserting a Telstra sim into it, will allow me to have 4G internet?

A few other threads, have seemed to run into issues?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: TP-Link TL-MR6400 Wireless 300Mbps N 4G LTE Router work on Telstra 4G or not

You need to make sure you get the APAC V3 version, otherwise it will not work. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Re: TP-Link TL-MR6400 Wireless 300Mbps N 4G LTE Router work on Telstra 4G or not

Thanks Jupiter,

I appreciate the advise. I will double check that. It does however appear tgat even the eu? Versions does have similar bands?

In any case i will ensure its an apac one.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

If you already have a Telstra Smart modem, you can remove the existing sim and add another Telstra sim card (Pre paid or on a plan). You can then use the 4G connection that way.

If you don't already have a Telstra Smart modem, you can usually find them online on sites like eBay or Gumtree or purchase one new from Telstra.

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Thanks thats a good idea. So i should be able to pick up one from someone else and it shoyld work fine?

Would there be any restrictions?

I noticed online some others have had issues with this?

Highlighted

The non-APAC versions don't have the 3G band that Telstra uses (UMTS 850MHz) or the main LTE Bands (700MHz).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

As long as you remove the existing sim card and insert a new one with a data plan/prepaid data on it and don't connect anything thing to the DSL or WAN ports on the modem it should work.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Thanks,

The Modem "works" and is capped/shaped by Tesltra. I can work things like FB, but the rest just doesn't load. Any advice?

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you have replaced the SIM card in the modem the speed should be uncapped.

One setting you need to change in the Technicolor modem is the profile used. Change it to telstra.internet (Advanced > Mobile > Configuration).

If you have the Arcadyan modem change APN to telstra.internet and PDP type to IPv4/IPv6 (Go to Advanced > Internet > LTE)

Highlighted

Thanks a Billion! It works now. It was set to default, and there was a combination of hyrid and the internet additionally as well.

It works now! I appreciate it a lot!!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more