Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Turn off NAT - Netgear CGD24N

What does turning off NAT do?

Turning off NAT, turns off the router component of the CGD24N, turning it into a simple modem, this setting also allows you to add a separate router (this stops double NAT'ing your network).

It will also give any connected devices on the LAN ports public IP addresses (when NAT is on, these ports will give private IP's), please make sure that you have your firewalls installed and working for any PC's connected to these LAN ports.

How do we do this?

1) Login to the modems GUI via: http://192.168.0.1

2) From the side menu, select "Advanced", then "NAT"

3) Uncheck "Turn NAT on", select "Apply"

The unit will then reboot into a simple modem, with no router access or the associated menu's.

Interested in a video on how to do this?

Turn off NAT on YouTube

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Turn off NAT - Netgear CGD24N

This is especially handy if you have multiple PCs on the local network that want to use the same ports for a game or something.
Highlighted

The idea of turning off NAT is to give the LAN ports of the CGD24N public IP's or to use a separate router to do the NAT addressing for extra LAN ports.

Basically, the CGD24N with NAT turned off, will act the same as a basic modem.

Yes, it can help with games etc Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

can you tell me why my cgd24n always reboots? telstra cant help me. i dont want to login to the modem because i may break something
Highlighted

It could be a number of things.

However the most common cause of this is an overloaded NAT table, if you have many connections (like torrenting) the table fills up and the modem must reboot to clear this table.

I would not be worried about breaking anything as the settings can be reset to default at any point in time.

Do you have a router, or need for one?

Try disabling NAT and let us know if the reboots continue.

Highlighted

wow, you really know your stuff. thanks it works now and does not reboot. telstra never was able to help when i called. i dont have a router, the modem connects to the only pc we have. thanks
Highlighted

Sure, if you need any further help, you know where we are!

Highlighted

Hi - I have a problem in this thread too. Have had a wired/wireless network for years, via an airport extreme router using DHCP. My old motorola surfboard modem-only ended up being incompatible with the new cable speeds (I'm told). Kept dropping out on hot days only. Telstra sent me a netgear cgd24n and after getting the NAT errors I turned NAT off on the netgear after reading the related articles on this forum (Thanks to all!). Anyway, now I'm getting a "windows system error - there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network". I have double checked my netgear settings and the NAT checkbox is unchecked. Can anyone help please?

Highlighted

I had the same drop out problems

Turn off NAT & wireless on Netgear CGD24N, Now running WGR614 v6 for wireless.

Wireless connections ok for laptop, phone etc.

Now my laptop cant see the desktop to share files, nor can the desktop see the laptop.

Can't print either...

What am I missing?

Highlighted

Hi Extreame

I am trying to increase the wirless coverage in my house.  I have tried a Belkin extender and it does not do the job and halves the speed.  I am interested in a Netgear 6300, but that is a dsl router and mine is cable (CGD24N)  I tried you recommendation to turn off the NAT but it asked for a Netgear password.  Have you experienced this and do you know how do I get one please?

Highlighted

In reply: @Paddo911

Turning off NAT disables the routing components of your modem, therefore will pass WAN directly to LAN, giving your devices public IP addresses.

If you attach a router with NAT disabled, then your router should be serving your devices, not the modem. Turning off wireless is also recommended on the modem, so your router will serve wireless, not the modem.

As for the password details, they are on the bottom of the modem (In fact with ALL Netgear devices). Remembering that the modems URL changes to 192.168.100.1 when NAT is disabled.

Now for your extended wireless, the D6300 is an ADSL gateway, yet the better option would have been a R6300 or above. I am not sure if the WAN port can be changed to an EWAN port on this model, I simply have not done any research on it.

If you have any further questions, I will be happy to answer Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Extreame  Tks for your timely response.

Are you sugesting

1.  I need to turn off the wirless (ie untick the Enable wirelss router).  Do I untick the SSID as well?  

2.  I also need to turn off the NAT to stop the router function?

Rgs

Highlighted

Yes I recommend that you disable NAT and wireless on the CGD24N before bridging it with a router.

If you need any further advice, please don't hesitate to reply Smiley Happy

Highlighted

OK Tks  WIll get a 6300 (will check D or R) and give it a go.  Thanks alot for your help

Highlighted

Happy to help!

If you need any further advice, please feel free to reply Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Since we have added extra devices over time, both wired and wireless, to our home network, we have been getting increased dropout rates, and now devices often cannot get a connection.  I had thought the problem was a DHCP error but I've been told that the NAT table in this modem can't accommodate so many devices (we probably have 20 devices concurrently conected at any given time including 4 phones, 5 tablets, 4 PC's, three printers, multiple gaming and entertainment boxes, NAS, home controllers, etc).

I don't see why I should have to fork out for a separate router to compensate for the inadequacy of the Telstra-supplied CGD24N but, assuming I do go ahead with that, at a cost of some $300, what is the best router to get - I notice that Netgear has an R6300, an R6400 and a new one called R7000 which I think uses 802.11ac (which I doubt I have anything using).

All suggestions gratefully received.

Highlighted

After turning off NAT, I couldn't connect to the internet even after connecting my laptop to the modem using LAN cable. Please help.
Highlighted

I have solved this problem. The important thing to remember when turning off NAT is that only one device can connect to the modem. To make sure that only your new router connects to the modem, it's better to turn off the wireless of the modem so that no other device connects accidentally to the modem.
Highlighted

Wanting to turn off Nat and disable wireless on my CGD24n as i have purchased a tp link Archer C5 AC1200 wireless dual band router. I am hoping for better wireless capabilities. But i cant seem to access netgear by using : http://192.168.0.1 

It asks for a username and password. So i cannot get in to disable anything. Is this the right address to even use

please help

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Paws,  the ADSL modem address is: http://10.0.0.138/ or for cable type in  http://192.168.0.1/  I hope this helps Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

i would like to use my old netgear cgd24n as a switch, what is nat and how do i turn off?

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

@yimidat wrote:

i would like to use my old netgear cgd24n as a switch, what is nat and how do i turn off?

The CGD24N does not have a cable RF interface bypass feature, sorry. Only the CG3100D-2 & C6300 have this feature.

You will need to either purchase a separate high end router (prefered) or switch to be compatable with ED3.0.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Thank you for your advice.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more