Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

unable to connect hik vision wifi doorbell to wifi

Hey guys,

Good day.

Im unable to connect my HikVision wifi camera doorbell to the network. 

I was with the broad band plan with telstra then and now with the NBN with telstra.

My modem is the telstra supplied - Technicolor TG799vac

- Tried to use a mobile phone as a wifi hot spot and camera connected easily

- tried to bring the wifi modem router closer to the camera/doorbell got as close as few inches away and no luck.

- (when i was on broadband) tried to use a different modem to rule out the modem and the camera/doorbell connected easily, there was no need to move it closer or whatever.

I dont want to use another modem now that i am on NBN with Telstra and now need assistance in solving this issue. If anyone has encountered this and succeeded, i would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance guys. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: unable to connect hik vision wifi doorbell to wifi

If there is a band steering option in the 2.4 GHz WiFi band settings on the modem you could try disabling band steering. This will result in a different WiFi SSID for the 5 GHz WiFi band.

Highlighted

Hi, just checked, there is no band steering option for 2.4GHz Wifi settiing Smiley Sad
Highlighted

but somehow 5GHz does Smiley Sad i might be looking at the wrong place please assist

thanks
Highlighted

If band steering option is located in the 5GHz settings then remove then disable band steering there. In all the other Technicolor modems the band steering option is located only in the 2.4 GHz settings that's why assumed if the option would also be located in the 2.4 GHz  Wifi settings for the TG799.

Highlighted

Ahh, i originally thought there would be separate options for 2.4 and 5. Thanks for clearing that up.
I noticed just now that band steering enabled = NO on the 5GHz
Highlighted

When connecting to the modems wifi are you centering the 2.4 GHz Band's SSID and password?
Highlighted

auto connect onto the 2.4GHz before NBN, now auto connect onto the 5GHz.
If you meant the camera/doorbell yes, it is manually entered prior to creating the QR code for the camera/doorbell to scan. but always get the prompt "connecting failed" even after several checks if the password is correct.
Highlighted

The only other suggestion I can think of is to set channel width to 20 Mhz and Standard to 802.11 b/g/n in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. Also check that WiFi channel is between 1 and 11. Some devices don't support channels 12 and 13.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more