hello_hello
Level 2: Rookie

unknown wifi name in Anti virus program

Answered

Have a Telstra Smart modem Gen2  Technicolor DJA0231,

and wonder if the name of the unknown wifi showing in my Anti Virus program is that of the sim in the Telstra modem?

Is there any way of finding out (I've searched high & low)?

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: unknown wifi name in Anti virus program

The hidden network is from modem. If you turn off WiFi on the modem the hidden network should disappear.

Devices that you can miracast to such as the Telstra TV also broadcast a hidden WiFi network. A windows 10 PC that is set up to cast to also broadcast a hidden netework.

View solution in original post

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

I use Bit Defender and don't see any 'hidden networks' in BD and in my house/workshop there are over 20 such beasties at different times.

There is one hidden, secured, network showing in the Windows network list but that is the Smart Modem backhaul to the Wi-Fi Booster (even though it actually connects by cable) - proved by turning off the modem. But it is nothing that I worry about. BD doesn't see it because it doesn't try to connect.

However, I would think that if you ever tried to connect to that 'hidden network' then you might see it in the AV (which should block it).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Glad things have settled down. Yes unexplained things happen with communications and upgrades frequently. I had some fun today with the Windows 10 20H2 Update which caused my YouTube to black screen and error out. Eventually solved. The only thing I can think that would typically use an 8 digit numeric password code in Wi-Fi is WPS PIN Method which is an alternative to the simpler WPS Push Button method; both methods can be used to connect wireless printers or other low level devices. All the best. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The SIM doesn't have anything to do with the WiFI. It could be a number of things. A neighbour's modem, a smart device, TV, Solar Inverter....

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

Can you see that same unknown Wi-Fi in the list of available networks on your phone? As @Jupiter says, it could come from many places.

The broadcast SSID can be a clue, if there is a label there. Could be a guest network, a wi-fi extender/booster or even a Fon/Air device in the vicinity.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
hello_hello

Thanks Jupiter

SteveW_52

Have turn the mobile off, however, even though it's off maybe the anti virus program remembers it??

So having turned it back on there are a few wifi s available but none with the same name.

Cannot see SSID but can see the password (same deal?) in the anti virus program (which is odd?).

There is another 'Hidden Network' (secured) showing in Windows10's task bar, but I isolated this to the Telstra Call Guardian by turning it off.

Thanks

SteveW_52

"There is another 'Hidden Network' (secured) showing in Windows10's task bar, but I isolated this to the Telstra Call Guardian by turning it off."  - the Call Guardian doesn't use Wi-Fi to my knowledge?? They are DECT devices, so if your Wi-Fi is seeing it then something is wrong (DECT works in the 1.9GHz band, Wi-Fi in 2.4 or 5 GHz).

Unusal for a Wi-Fi device to broadcast a password, but not the SSID - how do you know it is the password? and if it is a password, does it match any of your modem Wi-Fi credentials?

For your AV to list it, either you tried to connect to it at some stage or it tried to connect to you. If you block that Wi-Fi, what stops working (if anything).

If the phone can't see that unknown Wi-Fi, check to see if you PC can see it from the Wi-Fi adaptor. If not, try to remove it from your AV if you can and see if the PC will find it or if it tries to reconnect in either direction.

Stevo 52
cf4

If its a hidden network it is probably the 5G hidden network broadcast by the modem which is used for the backhaul for the Gen 2 WiFi boosters.

hello_hello

Hi SteveW_52

What comes up in my windows10  are 2 networks. First is the connection to my Telstra/Bigpond wifi. Then there is one that only displays 'Hidden Network Secured'. This is the one that disappears when I unplug both the power and the phone line from the wall on the 'Call guardian'. I cannot see a wifi name or a password.

The name and password that that I can see is within the av program.

I have not been able to correlate details or credentials to any other devices. I'm inclined to delete this wifi connection in the AV program, but not sure??

hello_hello

Hi cf4

I'm lost....   "used for the backhaul for the Gen 2 WiFi boosters."

What does this mean?

Thanks

SteveW_52

OK, the 'Hidden network' is a puzzle..  not sure about how the Call Guardian does that and I don't have one to check. could be the name is crossed up with another Wi-Fi device...  but, you are not connected to it by your description.

You see a name AND a password in the AV? but can't identify it. Also a puzzle then. In your place I would delete it from the AV and see what happens. The 'backhaul" mentioned by cf4  is a specific wi-fi service used to communicate between the Smart Modem 2 and any Smart Wi-Fi boosters you might have (these aren't really a 'booster', more a Wi-Fi Access Point (AP) to provide wider coverage of Wi-Fi. Do you have any such AP's?

Stevo 52
cf4

Backhaul is used for the connection between how the Gen 2 boosters and the modem to transfer data.. It can either be an ethernet connection or a wireless connection. When the boosters are not connected to the modem by ethernet cable they use another WiFi network that has a hidden SSID. separate from the modem's normal WiFi network. Even when no boosters are connected the modem still broadcasts this WiFi network with a hidden SSID.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/wifi-vs-ethernet-backhaul/

hello_hello

Thanks SteveW_52 and cf4 for the explanation.

No, I don't have anything like a backhaul.

Guess I'll try deleting the odd AV program network, and maybe just get rid of the Call Guardian phone and plug the old phone back in.

Thanks again.

Mkrtich

Hi - unusual phenomena which doesn't add up - what is the name of your AV program? Is this a new install or a peculiarity that has just occurred after a recent firmware update. Steve is correct, in Australia DECT operates at 1880-1900 Mhz, so your PC Wi-Fi Adapter would not usually pick up that frequency which makes one question how an AV program would pick it up or even list an analog base station connected to the modem.  When this occurs is the Pair button on the back of the modem stuck on flashing - it is used for WPS or DECT handset pairing.

I would not expect an AV program to display any password. Passwords can be seen by using Windows CMD command line entries once you have established the SSID Profile name of a previously connected to Wi-Fi network. Write down the 'password' shown on the AV for the hidden network  e.g  (i) a simple four digit code, such as 0000 usually applicable to DECT pairing or (ii) a longer continuous string alpha numeric code Wi-Fi Network Key or (iii)  a MAC Address e.g AB:CD:12:34:TY:99. Without revealing actual password codes, is it (i), (ii) or (iii)?

If (iii) , have you tried connecting to the Hidden Network using that MAC address and your actual Wi-Fi password key ; every Hidden Network has a  corresponding BSSID which is the MAC address?

hello_hello

There might have been some misunderstanding. The unknown wifi in Bitdefender may not have been related to the Hidden netowrk in windows (??). Anyway, per instruction from Bitdefender support I deleted the wifi there. It hasn't come back and does not seem to have caused any issue. Interestingly, after this I have reinstalled the AV and then windows did an auto update with a couple of reboots. The password I could see through the AV was an 8 digit all number code.

The Hidden Network is still in windows and I tested unplugging the Call Guardian phone but this time the hidden network did not dissappear!! Strange!

Thanks

cf4
Accepted Solution

The hidden network is from modem. If you turn off WiFi on the modem the hidden network should disappear.

Devices that you can miracast to such as the Telstra TV also broadcast a hidden WiFi network. A windows 10 PC that is set up to cast to also broadcast a hidden netework.

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

I use Bit Defender and don't see any 'hidden networks' in BD and in my house/workshop there are over 20 such beasties at different times.

There is one hidden, secured, network showing in the Windows network list but that is the Smart Modem backhaul to the Wi-Fi Booster (even though it actually connects by cable) - proved by turning off the modem. But it is nothing that I worry about. BD doesn't see it because it doesn't try to connect.

However, I would think that if you ever tried to connect to that 'hidden network' then you might see it in the AV (which should block it).

Stevo 52

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Glad things have settled down. Yes unexplained things happen with communications and upgrades frequently. I had some fun today with the Windows 10 20H2 Update which caused my YouTube to black screen and error out. Eventually solved. The only thing I can think that would typically use an 8 digit numeric password code in Wi-Fi is WPS PIN Method which is an alternative to the simpler WPS Push Button method; both methods can be used to connect wireless printers or other low level devices. All the best. 

hello_hello

Mkrtich, cf4 & SteveW52,

Many thanks for sorting me out. Appreciate especially the understanding re the modem broadcasting to more than just my PC.

Shall sign off now. Its good to get help seeing Telstra cannot provide it. Scary to consider all the people that don't manage to connect with outside help such as what you provide - esp older people.

Cheers

SteveW_52

"- esp older people."

I resemble that remark..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more