Libby995
Level 1: Cadet

Unlock technicolor tg797n v3 modem

Answered

Hello,

I own a telstra technicolor tg797n v3 modem that I purchased for $100 when I was trying to set up broadband with you last year. However due to connection issues we were left unable to get the internet set up and have ended up with a modem just lying around.

It seems ridiculous that we had to pay for a modem that we are unable to use and therefore I would like to know how do we unlock this modem so that it can be used with another provider?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Unlock technicolor tg797n v3 modem

Hey Libby995,

Welcome to Crowd Support 🙂

With the majority of ADSL modems they are not able to be locked to a specific network. All you have to do is enter your current providers details into the modem settings and have this connect with them. It would be best to have the modem reset to factory settings as it would currently be configured to work optimally with Telstra's network and there would be a small space on the back of the modem that you need to press in for 10 seconds to have this completed. Once reset you have to enter the primary username and password for your current provider and have this connect. 

Let us know if you have any issues with this.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey Libby995,

Welcome to Crowd Support 🙂

With the majority of ADSL modems they are not able to be locked to a specific network. All you have to do is enter your current providers details into the modem settings and have this connect with them. It would be best to have the modem reset to factory settings as it would currently be configured to work optimally with Telstra's network and there would be a small space on the back of the modem that you need to press in for 10 seconds to have this completed. Once reset you have to enter the primary username and password for your current provider and have this connect. 

Let us know if you have any issues with this.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

samuelfewster1

Can the technicolor TG587n v3 modem be unlocked too?  If so, how?  Thank you!

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Samuelfewster1,

Our ADSL modems aren't locked to Telstra. They do have our custom firmware, but this shouldn't affect the use of the device. All you need to do is setup the modem with your different ISP details 🙂

Brodie

Jay3695

I have send my modem to my parents in India, they are not able to connect as they cannot change VPI AND VCI setting.
Could u please help me to how to change those settings ? Also if you can advice me with the higher access login detail which can help them to change the details and able to connect to modem.
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jay3695, 

As mentioned above Our ADSL modems aren't locked to the Telstra network, but they do have custom firmware, so certain modifications may not be possible.

To get it to connect to an ISP in India, you can try accessing the modem interface 10.0.0.138, when in there click on the Technicolor Gateway link, under Pick a task... select Setup my Technicolor Gateway, follow the setup wizard and choose Routed PPP and continue with your details.

As for "higher access login detail" the default settings for TG797n v3 modems do not require any login details, to access the modem interface.  If you mean the Wi-Fi network name and security key, that is usually printed on the back of the modem.  

If any settings have been changed or lost resetting the modem to factory default will bring the modems settings back to 'out-of-the-box' Telstra default settings.

Hope this helps.

anatomy

I was having the same issue, going via the wizard locked up the modem, but using the link to PPPoEWAN  (from memory) section from Home and slapping my new ISPs credentials straight in there worked a treat.

liselou

I have followed the wizard to add new credentials but it won't connect to the Internet - where else can I change things to connect to my new service?
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi liselou, 

In order to get  your username and password into your TG797n V3 try the steps in the following walk-thru.  

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-Change-the-WiFi-channel-on-the-T-Ga...

Halfway down the page is the title How to Enter Your Username and Password into the T-Gateway TG797 ADSL Modem, follow these steps.

Ben

p-f

satinder

hi Ben Telstra
I have tg587n v3 modem in India. I set up its Gateway as you told but i am not able to changa its VPI and VCI values. current VPI is 8 but it can be 0 . how it can be changed
thanks

satinder

Hi Jay3695
I have same issue in India . I have tg587n modem.
Is your problem solved?? if yes then how??

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more