Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Unreliable VoIP on Smart Modem Gen 2

Hi I have a Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 modem with 3 connected via DECT T-Voice-503 handsets that occasionally for some reason return a busy signal after two rings on inbound calls.

You can bring it to life by making an outgoing call but its intermittent.

Any suggestions?

Modem software 18.1c  (Technicolor variant)

Modem firmware version 18.1c 0514-950-RC

Handset version TelstraCATiqH6886

I assume as Telstra sell the T-Voice-503 handsets they should be compatible with the Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TLS.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Unreliable VoIP on Smart Modem Gen 2

Hi - is the condition you describe

1. being reported to you by family and friends trying to contact you or

2. being encountered when you are making test calls from a mobile phone to your own number or

3. you are in the process of answering a call after two rings and getting a 'busy' signal on pick up instead of a voice - is the signal a repetitive one with the same frequency (busy tone), or is it a repetitive two frequencies, high and low (congestion tone). If this is the case, is it the same T-Voice handset that you experience this with or all phones? If it is the same handset, Delete it and Re-Register it again.

To check if these calls are from the same source, have a look in your Advanced Telephony Tile in the Call Log folio. The issue may be from their end - if they are known to you and on NBN as well, suggest they power reset their modems. Also do the same thing on your modem to see if any improvement occurs.

Your firmware may upgrade to the current version soon - I haven't seen an RC version before - mine was RB before it upgraded to 18.1.c 0543-950-RA. I take it that you have not previously set up any Call Blocking instructions in your Telstra 24X7 Account Profiles?

Highlighted

Hi there, 

1+2 are the issues. The handsets do not ring but the caller hears 2-3 rings then a busy tone (same frequency)

Everything has been reset and factory defaulted with no change.

Highlighted

Hi - I assume you did not have this issue with the Uniden 1635 cordless system before you replaced it with the T-Voice 503 phones. Has your modem's firmware been recently upgraded to the RC level or has it been on that level prior to the T-Voice phones being connected. Hopefully your modem may be upgraded to current firmware soon in case that is the problem.

Do you have a wired phone that you can connect to the green Phone Port for testing if it rings on incoming calls. If that doesn't ring, it implies a Telstra VoIP network registration or modem issue. Suggest to Delete the T-Voice 503 phones and SAVE, then put the modem into Factory Default, then only connect the wired phone. If it rings on incoming calls and works on outgoing calls, you can then focus on the T-Voice 503 Phones as the possible cause. Add one and see if it rings in parallel to the wired phone or causes the original fault. If both ring, add the second one , test and then the third.

If a wired phone rings OK, the original condition seems to indicate a problem with CATiq 2.0 DECT controller or T-Voice 503 Phone registration and connection where the transmission signal from the modem is not being received properly at the cordless phone but the signal from the T-Voice to the modem is working for outgoing calls. The Event Log in the modem's admin screens may show some sort of entry that relates to the cordless malfunction, but I have found Technicolor logs to be minimalist in nature.  

If you are still having the problem, you will need to contact Telstra for them to investigate and remedy. You will have done enough troubleshooting to give them useful information for further diagnosis.

Highlighted

Unfortunately I didnt have the wired phone connected for long enough to know whether it worked as the problem is intermittent.

How can I find out whether the new version of the TG2 firmware has a fix for DECT/VoIP - do Telstra issue release notes for these?

Highlighted

We are hoping that a Discussion Thread will be created for the Technicolor modem, similar to the recently launched one for the Arcadyan modem; with its launch it featured new improvements to the firmware and has provided a good 'Go To' collection of customer problems and experiences associated with the firmware versions as they identified. Will keep a lookout for the Technicolor version if it gets published and let you know.

Highlighted

Hi - your existing firmware suffix RC has me puzzled - haven't found that on other Forum posts including Whirlpool. One of my test modems, DJA0230, updated 18.1.c 0549-MR17-RB yesterday. You may get lucky with an upgrade to improve your DECT issue. This one happened automatically after 3:00am, but previously I fluked a modem upgrade by Factory Resetting it three times in succession from within the Admin Screens to see it doing the Reset; started process around 8:00pm, it didn't update after the last Reset ( I gave it another two attempts), so sensing failure, I turned it OFF and the next morning it showed that the update happened after 3:00am that day. Looks like upgrades occur during Off-Peak times. Could just be pure chance but maybe worth a go. Hoping it doesn't create new issues !  

Highlighted

Hi thanks for this I will try and force the update.

Also I think I may have made a discovery. The T-Voice 503 exhibits the behaviour when one of the phones is in the opposite side of the house furthest from the Telstra modem, Ive noticed the audio is a bit patchy on this phone even though the signal strength is showing full bars.

The problem never appears when the phone is closer. So It seems if one phone is out of range then the other two handsets closer to the modem responds with a busy signal for a incoming call.

How do I get the other two 503 phones to ring on an incoming call even if the 3rd phone is out of range?

Highlighted

Hi - That's a significant finding which may suggest an issue with the modem or Handset 3. If the same outcome occurs when you swap locations of Handset 3 with Handset 2 or Handset 1, it points to the modem. If the problem goes away after the swap, with either Handset 1 or 2 remotely located, it points to Handset 3.

The modem has to generate a physical ring current on its Phone Port only, so its not a matter of having too many handsets. The DECT phones receive their ring instruction independent of the Phone Port through wireless data signals in unison which can be annoying to some homes. This should not turn off the ring signal after two rings and provide a busy signal.

I have an Arcadyan LH:1000 modem with three CATiq 2.0 phones from different manufacturers working in parallel with an external Panasonic cordless phone system with answering machine connected on the Phone Port - they all ring in parallel. It is possible to lower the Ring volume on each handset.

I think the Signal Strength display function in the T-Voice 503 may be suspect and not reflecting true status or it must be on Steroids!  It appears static on my T-Voice 503 - I just walked 40 steps (30 metres) away from my modem to the footpath, line of sight direction on footpath goes through two internal walls and external cavity brick walls. It stayed at full 3 bar all the way which is not an expected outcome. Tested - received incoming call and made an outgoing call successfully. I then walked another 20 steps down the road and the signal strength stayed at 3 bars and called my mobile. The Panasonic DECT struggles to stay connected at 40 steps and is unworkable on the footpath - crackling and speech interference.

To eliminate the modem as the cause, suggest you report to Telstra so that they can diagnose and rectify. 

Highlighted

I have two 503's, one at each end of the house, connected to an Arcadyan LH1000. One is near the modem the other is a lot further away. I have not experienced an of the issue you describe but as Mkrtich says, that is a good bit of troublesluething (<-not a spelling mistake there) on your part!

The only difference in my set-up is I have a WiFi booster towards the far end of the house but I am not sure if it has any affect on the DECT handsets.. I will have to experiment, but the handsets worked OK before the booster was installed (which was only to solve an issue with eBooks with weak Wi-Fi capability).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Thanks for the tips. I'll try and swap the phones around and see what happens. I doubt there will be any difference.

The only reason I am aware of this is because I have these installed at a friend's house and I am the person calling them and occasionally get the busy signal.

I wonder how many people might have the same problem but aren't aware of it because the outbound calls always work and callers don't say anything because they assume the phone is engaged or the kids accidentally hang up etc

Highlighted

Hi - The technical specifications on the Telstra Wi-Fi Booster 2 show no DECT CATiq 2.0 Repeater function - subject to environment, at 60 steps, it is obviously not needed. Generically DECT can operate at longer distances in open spaces.

My understanding is that, apart from a common supervision by the modem's CPU, both wireless networks work independently of each other. The Boosters are made by Arcdayan, who also make the previous disc shape Telstra Booster (1) models. With the case being the only difference - I think they have the same hardware inside, the cut outs for all functions on the rear are identical between units and they have same the references for part number and software. 

The Arcadyan LH:1000 uses a DSP Group chip, DCX81A, for its DECT network. Not sure of what the Technicolor modem versions use. 

Highlighted

yes, I knew there was no mention in the specs..  but hadn't really tested it hands on. I have now done that, I get about a 90 metres in any direction of travel with the 503's, regardless of whether the Booster is active or not, so it obviously plays no part. So I agree - Booster doesn't impact DECT in anyway.

DECT is a funny thing - widely used and found everywhere, and good range in nice open spaces but sometimes adjacent frequencies impact it badly, particularly if the base/handset 'channel hop'. Currently investigating a case of that in an operations centre with DECT headsets deployed. The culprits for interference are some generic WIFi adapters and AP's and in one case a microwave oven (showed very noisy wide band harmonics interference. Can't see any of that in my home environment Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

DECT GAP (Euro) and its Gateway version DECT CATiq 2.0 use 1800 Mhz frequencies, so there should be immunity between any 2.4 Ghz devices. Maybe the interference is caused between the devices within the 2.4 Ghz network or Bluetooth enabled devices which also share the 2.4Ghz band. 

If the Operations Centre is using a roaming multi-cell DECT network, drop outs can occur if the system is not dimensioned to cater for the number of users - each cell has a trunk and line side with the trunk being used for backhaul or to adjacent cells to cater for roaming.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more