Level 1: Cadet

Upgraded NBN modem - must connect directly to NBN connection box?

Answered

I received an upgraded NBN smart modem from Telstra - instructions appear to state the modem must be connected directly to the NBN connector box, which happens to be in our garage (FTTP). My current, and previous, modem was able to live in our lounge room, plugged into an outlet that connected with the NBN connection box. I called Telstra who were adamant that this new modem must be directly connected to the NBN connection box, using a long WAN cable if needed, otherwise I would have to call NBN to move the infrastructure. Surely this is not the case and I can plug the new modemit into my lounge outlet as per usual?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Upgraded NBN modem - must connect directly to NBN connection box?

Yes you can connect the modem to the same outlet in the lounge that is connected to NBN connection box in Garage.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4

If you have a LAN cable between the garage and lounge room then the modem can be situated in the lounge room. The statement that it must be connected directly to NBN connection box means that you can connect a modem or router to the connection box and connect the smart modem to a LAN port on the other router or modem. But even that is not strictly correct as it only prevents phone working and phone can be made to work providing the other router or modem is set up correctly.

Ok

NBN NTD Garage  ------------------------------------ Lounge Telstra Modem 

Not Ok

NBN NTD Garage------Other Router or Modem------------Lounge Telstra Modem.

Level 1: Cadet

Thank you - so I can plug my new modem in the same outlet on my lounge wall as it is already connected to my NBN Connection Box in the garage?  I don't need it to use phone at all ...

Accepted Solution

Yes you can connect the modem to the same outlet in the lounge that is connected to NBN connection box in Garage.

View solution in original post

Level 21: Augmented

Your phone would probably now connect to a Green Phone port on the modem.. 

the modem, now in the lounge will need a long ethernet cable  from the modem WAN port (red) to the NBN NTD in the garage - Note that you cannot use a 'telephone/adsl' cable for that!

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more