Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Upgrading NBN MODEM - Compatability

Answered

Hi,

I want to upgrade the modem NBN supplied (Arris CM8200 Modem).

Which Modems are compatible with Telstra NBN?

In particular these modems:

- Netgear CM1100

- Netgear CM1200

- Arris Surfboard SB8200 

If not, what other modems can I upgrade to with Telstra ISP?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Upgrading NBN MODEM - Compatability

Hi - the NBN provided Arris CM8200B belongs to NBN as it is part of their network service - it is not customer owned. It's MAC address is coded into equipment in NBN network, is reserved for your premises and then those ports are exclusively allocated to your current RSP for connection of their modem equipment to you. The Arris 8200B stays on premises should you ever shift to another location. You are not able to remove it or replace it.  The Arris CM8200B is a very good, highly reliable HFC DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem and capable of supporting much higher speeds than currently offered. 

The Netgear CM1100 and Arris SB8200 are also DOCSIS 3.1 compliant - under current arrangements they could only be introduced to Australia through NBN if they change to a dual supplier arrangement or think the SB8200 should replace the CM8200B. The white SB8200 looks like the twin of the black CM8200B. The Netgear CM1200 is a Combo HFC DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem/Router, so it doesn't fit into Australia's NBN Model where the RSP is responsible for all on site customer equipment. 

May I ask why you are interested in replacing your Arris CM8200B?

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - the NBN provided Arris CM8200B belongs to NBN as it is part of their network service - it is not customer owned. It's MAC address is coded into equipment in NBN network, is reserved for your premises and then those ports are exclusively allocated to your current RSP for connection of their modem equipment to you. The Arris 8200B stays on premises should you ever shift to another location. You are not able to remove it or replace it.  The Arris CM8200B is a very good, highly reliable HFC DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem and capable of supporting much higher speeds than currently offered. 

The Netgear CM1100 and Arris SB8200 are also DOCSIS 3.1 compliant - under current arrangements they could only be introduced to Australia through NBN if they change to a dual supplier arrangement or think the SB8200 should replace the CM8200B. The white SB8200 looks like the twin of the black CM8200B. The Netgear CM1200 is a Combo HFC DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem/Router, so it doesn't fit into Australia's NBN Model where the RSP is responsible for all on site customer equipment. 

May I ask why you are interested in replacing your Arris CM8200B?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I just wanted to know if I could upgraded and OWN my own modem instead of renting it from ISP.

That is all

Highlighted

I see . The NBN provide HFC Arris Modem has no separate or visible charge component in your monthly subscription charge from Telstra or any other NBN HFC RSP provider. It may be hidden within the wholesale arrangement that carriers pay NBN for provisioning the service to your home.

In regards to the accompanying Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modem, which you can replace with your own , from memory, depending on what plan you subscribed to, for new 24 month contracted customers, the cost of the modem was embedded in the monthly charge, and provided for free by waiving the $99 provisioning fee. I think cost of the modem was amortised at $9 a month and if you terminated the 24 month contract you had to pay out the balance of the total unpaid contract charges. I saw a Telstra ad on TV last night saying there now is no penalty for early termination of the contract other than the equipment payout which I assume is the number of applicable months by $9. 

I am not sure what happens when you reach the 25th month i.e. if your Telstra monthly charge drops by $9 a month or not - maybe other readers who are in that position will comment, I am only 10 months into my contract with Telstra.  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more