David_D1
Level 1: Cadet

Use Spare Smart Modem Gen 2 as Wifi Router (2nd network, no bridge)

Answered

Hi, I have a smart gen 2 modem (Arcadyan) connected to the NBN box. I have a spare gen 2 modem (Technicolor) I would like to use as a second wifi network. I have connected the primary modem LAN to the 2nd modem WAN. The 2nd modem boots up and the light turns green but I get no internet from it.

Could you please advise on the settings to use.

I want to have wifi on the first and second units. I am happy with having 2 different networks (assuming that using the bridge function disables the wifi on the primary unit?).

Thank a lot for your help, apologies about the rookie questions.

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Use Spare Smart Modem Gen 2 as Wifi Router (2nd network, no bridge)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4

Bridging does not disable WiFi. WiFi has to be disabled manualy.

There is a section in the document linked in the post below that shows how to use a Technicolor smart modem as an access point.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

David_D1

Hi cf4, 

thanks for that - I suppose that these are the settings for the primary router so I will look for the Arcadyan version. Can I ask another dumb question - what are the settings to apply to the secondary router?

Thanks again

Kind regards

Dave

cf4

Those are the settings for the secondary router. Should not have to change anything in primary router.  In the document I was using the Technicolor modem as an access point for another modem. If setting up as an access point connected to Arcadyan modem, were you see 192.168.178.xx in document change to 192.168.0.xx

The instruction for Arcadyan modem as a secondary router can be found in section 34 of document linked in this post.

cf4
Accepted Solution

David_D1

Thank you so much for your help cf4, I actually followed the previous link and adjusted for parameters.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more