Archie23
Level 2: Rookie

Using an Old Netgear Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD as a WIFI EXTENDER/ACCESS POINT/REPEATER

Hi,

We have the NBN connected, and we have the Telstra Smart Moden GEN 2 as the main modem, but down the back of the house, we are using these poweline adapters, and the ethernet coverage is ordinary, but the ethernet coverage via the powerline adapters is better than the wifi coverage out the back of the house. 

Can i use my old Netgear Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD-1TLAUS, as n access point/wifi extender or repeater?

Can someone help me about doing that?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Using an Old Netgear Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD as a WIFI EXTENDER/ACCESS POINT/REPEATER

To use Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD as a WiFi access point 

1. On a device connected to the Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD open a web browser and log into modem (http://192.168.0.1, admin / password)
  2. Go to Advanced > Local Area Network > LAN
  3. Change LAN IP address to one that is different from main modem and also different from any device connected to main modem (Example 192.168.0.20)
  4. Set DHCP server to No
  5. Apply settings.
  6. Connect LAN port of Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD to LAN port of main modem via power line adapters.

For best results also change WiFi SSID and password to match that of main modem. (Basic View > WiFi). There are two WiFi bands to change which can be selected WiFi Interface drop down menu. The settings for the 2.4 GHz WiFi band are displayed by default.

Archie23
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Using an Old Netgear Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD as a WIFI EXTENDER/ACCESS POINT/REPEATER

Thank you for the prompt reply cf4

I'm a bit naive, but do i connect ethernet cable from main modem to Telstra Gateway Max to get to the Gateway Modem? As i tried ethernet from PC to Gateway Modem and it says..."internet connection is down, check your link and internet connection settings.

TELSTRA GATEWAY MAX
Logo
Your WAN connection is down.
Check your link and Internet connection settings...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more