Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Using Dj0320 as access point

Hi, I’m trying to change the IP address of my Telstra smart modem from 192.168,0.1 to 192.158.1.2 to use it as an access point for my internet(not with telstra). I can’t seem to do that and the dchp stuff isn’t allowing me to, I can’t seem to turn the off successfully either. Any help is appreciated thank youSmiley Happy)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Using Dj0320 as access point

There are instructions in section 34 of document linked at bottom of this post for how to configure the modem as an access point.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-DJA0230-manual-Unofficial...

Highlighted

Hi, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I followed those steps with no success at all. Even trying it in bridge mode doesn’t workSmiley Sad

Highlighted

Why are you using 192.158.1.2? Don't know of any modems that use 192.158.1.xx as the there IP subset. If 192.158.1.xx is correct subset is 192.158.1.2 used by any other devices?

If you change the IP address to 192.158.1.2 the DHCP Start IP address has to be 192.158.1.3 or higher.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Anything in the 192.158.xxx.xxx range can't be used for a private network. That range is owned by the American Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Unit and is a publicly addressable (is web accessible) range.

192.168.xxx.xxx range is the only subset available in the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx range for a private network.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

My apologies, a typo, I meant 192.168.....

I have then changed the dchp start to 192.168.1.3 as well as it being toggled off. However still no luck

Highlighted

Is the modem failing to save the settings or not working as an access point when the settings are saved and one of its LAN ports is connected to main router.

Highlighted

It’s not working when the settings have successfully saved, wifi says on and running however cannot browse or connect properly, and the Ethernet connection to my computer will bring up the GUI however won’t give a good connection either, 3mbps at MAX. Also yes the lan port is connected to the main router.

Highlighted

Is IPv6 disabled in the DJA0230?

Have you tried using another IP address for the DJA0230 or setting static lease in the main router for 192.168.1.2?

I have used the DJA0230 as an access point with several different modems and everything works. Devices can connect to WiFi and speed is good.

Highlighted

Yeh I disabled ipv6 along with dchp. I don’t think a can use another ip for the dja0320 because my main routers one is 192.168.1.1? I have not touched ‘static lease’ or anything. What should I do there?

Highlighted

What is the model of your main router?

Highlighted

It is a ubiquit Aircube AC

Highlighted

I can't find any manuals for the ubiquit Aircube AC so can't help you in how to configure a static lease for the DJA0230 in the ubiquit Aircube AC.

You can change the IP address of the DJA0230 to 192.168.1.50 by changing the DHCP start address to 192.168.1.51.

Highlighted

Ubiquiti*. Would there be any difference in change it to 192.168.1.50 as opposed to 192.168.1.2??

Highlighted

192.168.1.2 might already bein use by another device connected to the Ubiquiti

Highlighted

There isn’t. Would I have to update the start of the dchp server on my main router as well? As it starts at 192.168.1.2 currently?

Highlighted

You shouldn't need to but it want do any harm to change the start DHCP IP address to 192.168.1.3.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - is there a reason why you wish to use the Ubiquiti Air Cube AC Access Point in Router mode instead of its default Bridge mode? According to this clip by a reputable presenter who knows Ubiquiti equipment really well, its default installation configuration is set to Bridge mode so that it can integrate easily into the customer's provided carrier's modem. He doesn't recommend putting the Air Cube AC into Router mode as he thinks it's Firewall is light weight. 

Given the DJA0230 (192.168.0.1) and AirCube AC (192.168.1.1) have different default IP address schemes, did you try placing the DJA0230 as the primary modem and adding the Air Cube to as an Access Point rather than a Router - per the video clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnYRT7wI-Vs

Highlighted

We we’re given the Aircube AC by our ISP to use as a primary router. We used to be with telstra which is why I’ve dug out our old router to see if I can improve connection because I agree the Aircube is light and not strong. How do I put it into bridge mode while still having wifi and Ethernet accessible, and then be able to connect another router as an access point also? 

much appreciated

Highlighted

Hi - I think you would be better off leaving your AirCube AC as the primary Router so that you get full support from your ISP if you have NBN Network issues. Programming the AirCube AC into Bridge mode would only be done if it being used as an Access Point to another Primary Router. The AirCube AC may also have pre-programmed customised settings or firmware from your ISP. I would expect the DJA0230 should link to another Router without issue, so just to summarise the above steps.

Firstly Factory Reset the DJA0230 - insert paperclip into Front Reset hole whilst modem is powered up for at least 10-15 seconds - this will clear out any previous customised programming. 

1. Connect PC direct to AirCube AC:  192.168.1.1 with default range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. Change it to start at 192.168.1.3 and SAVE and just to make sure Restart the AirCube. This allows you to manually allocate 192.168.1.2 to the DJA0230. You can always increase the number of manually assigned IP addresses in the future by starting the range at a higher number like 192.168.1.10, but leave it to start at 192.168.1.3 for now. 

2. Connect PC direct to DJA0230: 192.168.0.1 with default range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254. Disable DHCP and change these entries to 192.168.1.2 and the range  to 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254. SAVE, then ensure to Restart the DJA0230 so that these settings are used for fresh connection to the AirCube AC, otherwise it won't link.

3. Connect Ethernet cable from DJA0230 LAN port to AirCube LAN port - try one of the bottom two ports. From your PC connected to the DJA0230, you should have Internet access through the AirCube and be able to access the Admin Screens of both devices using their respective IP addresses. I have used this procedure to make a DJA0230 an Access Point off a ZTE H268A modem on Exetel for a neighbour and both wired and wireless devices can access the Internet without issue.

4. If you wish to have the same Wi-Fi SSIDs for both units and if the AirCube broadcasts both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands separately, log-into the DJA0230 and edit the SSID and Network keys on the 2.4Ghz page and the 5 Ghz page to match and also Disable BandSteering on the 2.4 Ghz screen so that both bands are broadcasted instead of one common one and SAVE. If the AirCube is only broadcasting a common SSID for both bands and you wish to retain that, don't Disable BandSteering in the DJA0230.

5. If you have any connection issues with Wireless devices roaming or failing to connect, you could try to Disable IPV6 and Firewall in the DJA0230 per @cf4 's User Manual. I haven't had to do that on my test DJA0230 connected to an Arcadyan Primary modem, but other users have had connection issues.  

Let us know how you go. Its a solid little Cube and the 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi coverage capabilities as shown in the video clip were very impressive, would expect same from Ubiquiti for the 5 GHz. 

Highlighted

Thank you for your help. Currently I do have the dja0230 as an access point, by following your steps exactly, I finally worked it out a few days ago. What if I was to be able to port forward? Mucking around with NAT and stuff I don’t even know where to start.

Highlighted

Glad you got it working and worked it out yourself - its a good feeling when that happens! Hopefully the post may help others in the future.

The Ubiquiti product range is a challenge to come to grips with as it has been designed for small business networks and each product fits into what I think is a complex Ubiquiti umbrella Cloud Controller ecosystem.

I have viewed many presentations, reviews and How To Set Ups on Ubiquity equipment this year on YouTube and I think it is designed for advanced users. The best three presenters I have seen are Quik Tech Solutions L.L.C. ( best full screen view and explanations), the pfsense guy who did the AirCube AC test video and Crosstalk Solutions. It's a good learning source and plenty of presenters. All the best.  

Highlighted

Thank you very very muchSmiley Happy))

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more