Level 3: Gumshoe

Using second Telstra Smart Modem in Bridge Mode

Answered

I have set up a second Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Technicolor) in Bridge Mode to extend my home network coverage, with a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan) as the primary Modem. I used the instructions from a previous post to set up my second Telstra Smart Modem in Bridge Mode: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/setting-and-configure-telstra-smart-modem-gen...

I have, however, let the SSID and password unchanged so that I can distinguish between the two devices.

I am able to connect to the Bridged Modem using my mobile phone, however, when prompted to sign in to the network and I tap to provide the password, I get a message that the "Web page is not available" and I have the option to either "Do not use this network", or to "Use this network as is"... If I take the second option (to "Use the network as is"), I am connected to the Bridged Modem and I am able to access the internet without entering the required password... perhaps the password is stored on my phone from when this Bridged Modem was our primary modem? The Bridged Modem appears to still be secure as I can see on my mobile phone that the Security for the Bridged Modem is listed as "WPA/WPA2-Personal".

Should I be concerned with this situation?... Is there anything I can do to avoid the "Web page is not available" and enable the input of the password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Using second Telstra Smart Modem in Bridge Mode

Thank you cf4.  I was initially influenced by a post that the Bridge was a simpler solution, but given the problems I experienced, I was thinking I might try the alternative solution, so you providing the reference to section 34 in the linked document was very helpful.  I have now completed the steps as per section 34 and the second Smart Modem is up and running as an Access Point.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

There is no security problem. The WiFi password is stored on your phone from when the modem was your primary modem.

Before bridging the modem did you disable IPv6 state in the DJA0231 (Advanced > Local Network)?

Did you change the LAN IPv4 address of the modem so that it was not the same as the LAN  IP address of the LH1000 or any devices connected to the LH1000?

Thanks cf4 for the prompt reply.

No, I did not do either of this items.  

Since my initial post, I no longer have internet connection via the Bridged modem, with the Bridged modem now listed as "Connected without internet" on my mobile phone and not able to connect to internet sites over my phone.  This has occurred without me making any other changes to the network.  I have also since realised that the Bridged modem password would not have already been on my mobile phone as I acquired the phone after the Bridged modem was replaced with the current primary modem.

I will now proceed with the items you've suggested in your reply.  Thank you for your assistance. 

If I was using the DJA0231 as an Access point I would not Bridge the modem but configure it as per section 34 of document linked in this post. If you use this method you still have access to all the settings in the DJA0231. The only disadvantage is the LH1000 see itself as a slave booster of the DJA0231. That will result in the WiFi SSID and password changing so that it matches the settings in the DJA0231. 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Accepted Solution

Thank you cf4.  I was initially influenced by a post that the Bridge was a simpler solution, but given the problems I experienced, I was thinking I might try the alternative solution, so you providing the reference to section 34 in the linked document was very helpful.  I have now completed the steps as per section 34 and the second Smart Modem is up and running as an Access Point.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more