gt4boy
Level 2: Rookie

Using Tapo L510B smart bulbs

Anyone had any experience with these bulbs? I've got them working initially, but the kids have turned off the lights at the switch a few times. As a result, I can no longer use the 'Tapo' android app to sync my bulb wifi networks with my home Telstra wifi network? Any clues?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Using Tapo L510B smart bulbs

Yeah, not the best device for the kids to have access to the switch for. They have probably turned them on and off 5 times in succession, which has factory reset the bulbs.

You need to set them up again.

See the manual for information.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
gt4boy

Thanks Jupiter, I suspected as much. I've done the factory reset, even removed the bulbs in the Tapo app. I can add them again, by seeing their own wifi network, can see my wifi network however the Tapo app is still not able to link the bulbs wifi network to my Telstra wifi. So still no joy. 😞

cf4

The modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi might be faulty. To check if 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you disable Band Steering in the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. Disabling Band Steering adds -5G to modems 5 GHz WiFi name. If both WiFi bands are working you should now see two modem WiFi networks, one with normal name and one with -5G added. If you only see the name with -5G added then modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and modem should be replaced.

gt4boy

Thanks cf4, I've given this a try and can confirm that my 2.4ghz wifi is still functional.

cf4

Try changing the bandwidth of the 2.4 GHz WiFi from auto to 20 MHz. If that doesn't work try changing the security mode from WPA2 PSK to WPA + WPA2 PSK.

gt4boy

Thanks for your persistence, but this made no difference.

Jupiter

Make sure that your mobile is connected to the 2.4GHz wifi network before starting the app.

That helped me set up my Mirabella lights. If my phone was connected to the 5GHz network or to the mobile network only, then the setup failed. The TP-Link lights may have the same quirk.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
gt4boy

I have a Samsung S8. I've taken band steering off, then I can see my 2.4 and 5 wifi network on the phone. Interestingly, I cannot connect the phone to the 2.4 network? Strange as my initial setup would have been when my phone was on the 5mhz wifi.

cf4

If the Samsung can't connect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi the 2.4 GHz WiFi might be faulty. Suggest you install a WiFi scanner app on the phone and measure the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal from the modem.

What model modem do you have (DJA0231, DJA0230, LH1000.....)? The model number is printed on a Label attached to modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more