Bluenage
Level 4: Private Eye

View connected devices

Hi

in the current version of the my Telstra app you can view the modem and the devices connected to it.  When I try and do this, the display says our Telstra modem is not a smart modem. I was under the impression it was?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: View connected devices

What is the make and model of the modem? (Label on the bottom will have it if you can't see that information in the GUI or app)..

If you have the Telstra Home Dashboard app, does that show the devices and modem?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@Bluenage wrote:

Hi

in the current version of the my Telstra app you can view the modem and the devices connected to it.  When I try and do this, the display says our Telstra modem is not a smart modem. I was under the impression it was?

Could you please provide a screenshot of what you are referring to?.

Bluenage

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

That gateway looks like the Sagemcom F@st5355. It is not a Telstra smart modem but was the predecessor to the original Telstra Smart modem DJA0230.

Bluenage

Ok and thank you, does my modem compare the current telstra smart modem?

cf4

The main differences between the two modems are.

The F@st 5355 only has two LAN ports rated at 10/100 Mbps compared to the four 10/100/1000 Mbps ports on the Smart modems.

There is no 4G backup on the F@st5355

The WiFi on the smart modems is almost twice as fast rated at 2100AC compared to 1100 AC on the F@st5355. 

Thr 5G WiFi signal also has better coverage.

The Telstra Smart modem costs $216 ($12 per month) new from Telstra) or can be bought second hand for as little as $30.

Bluenage

Ok, so a much better modem then, as soon as my current one fails...

Thank you very much

Bluenage

If I purchase a second hand telstra smart modem, which should come with the SIM card, how is the ownership transferred to me?

SteveW_52

You pay for the internet service, so it isn't an issue to connect any modem you choose to it. The 4G service should tack off your internet service and not be a problem. I have replaced several faulty Smart Modem 2's with ones bought secondhand, and it has never been a problem to set them up and get them working - NBN and 4G wise.

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Something to consider though, is your home phone if you have one..  is it on a seperate connection point or from the existing modem? 

Stevo 52
cf4

When the modem is first connected to your internet link the modem sends information about itself to the Telstra server including the SIM ID. The SIM is then attached to your account. The server sends the VOIP SIP details for your connection to the modem so that the modem can configure your phone service. There are two versions of the Gen 2 Smart modem one made by Technicolor (DJA0231) and the other by Arcadian (LH1000). All the Gen 1 Smart modems (DJA0230) are made by Technicolor   In my opinion the Technicolor is modem is better modem particularly if you have a DSL connection (FTTN, FTTB or ADSL). The Arcadyan has slightly better WiFi performance, but the Technicolor has a better GUI interface and is more likely to be compatible with all types of home network configurations.

Bluenage

No its the one port.

Thank you for helping

Bluenage

Thank you very much for helping me

Bluenage

Hi all

I have just acquired a DJA0231 Telstra Smart Modem, plugged it in, all lights were on and no internet.  Due to being in lockdown, having no internet in the house would have created a few issues, what is the best way to work out why there is no internet?   I imagine it needs to be on and connected?

iPat91
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @Bluenage, the 4G back up should automatically kick in if there's an outage. Check our outages page here: https://tel.st/6wemgt to see if there are any listed for your area. If there aren't any outages, you'll need to have a chat with our tech support team here: https://tel.st/fwqgtn. If your mobile service is with us, our tech support team can also assist with adding some interim data for you to use if they can't resolve the issue straight away.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more