Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

VPN for V7610 not passing information through to LAN

Answered

We have a (Netgear) V7610 for our NBN and are trying to use it to allow clients to VPN into the LAN.

Have setup the VPN as per instructions, configured client, and can connect to the device via VPN. However, the device does not appear to be letting the VPN traffic then pass through to the LAN.

For example, if I tracert to a LAN ip from my externally located VPN client PC, it will hop to the address of the public IP of the 7610 as expected, but after that the 7610 allows no further hops to the internal LAN. Pings to a LAN address from the VPN client PC of course do not work either if tracert doesnt work.

I have spoken with techincal support on the phone and they are clueless of the issue to the point that 'they are not responsible for the configuration of speciality areas like that'. I won't go in to how professionally dismaying it is to hear that when you have moved from another provider to Telstra and suddenly find there is no technical expertise / experience within this area.

So, in summary, the actual VPN setup looks fine (I can connect and authenticate to it fine), the problem is it is not passing traffic through to the LAN after that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: VPN for V7610 not passing information through to LAN

For anyone else who encounters this, here is why I had the issue and the fix: Setting up the VPN per documentation all went fine. I could connect to the VPN from my remote client. The issue was I couldn't then access any of the LAN addresses from my VPN client. Long story short, the V7610 needs to be configured to assign IP's to VPN clients on the same address range as the internal LAN network Normally you would configure a VPN to assign VPN IP leases on a separate IP range to the LAN to avoid IP conflicts and conflicts with the LAN DHCP address assignement, and then have the VPN bridge between the VPN clients and the LAN. e.g. LAN network 192.168.100.x, VPN address range 192.168.200.x . Then on the VPN clients you would add some static routes back for key addresses within the LAN That's not how the 7610 works - it must be assigning VPN client IP address on the same network range as the LAN if you want your VPN client to 'see' the LAN

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I just want to confirm that you used this guide when configuring the V7610 for VPN. 

If you require further assistance with VPN, you can contact Telstra Platinum on 137 587 to see if they can assist you further

[edited to remove outdated number]

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

HI, the link you have provided is an invalid one (you have included a space in the URL). However, using the correct address, yes that is the guide I followed.

The setup of the VPN is straight forward and I have completed that and I successfully establish a VPN connection to the V7610. The issue is that once the VPN connection is successful the device does not appear to pass any traffic to the internal LAN.

I'll try the Platinum service - the 30 day trial will come in handy.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

For anyone else who encounters this, here is why I had the issue and the fix: Setting up the VPN per documentation all went fine. I could connect to the VPN from my remote client. The issue was I couldn't then access any of the LAN addresses from my VPN client. Long story short, the V7610 needs to be configured to assign IP's to VPN clients on the same address range as the internal LAN network Normally you would configure a VPN to assign VPN IP leases on a separate IP range to the LAN to avoid IP conflicts and conflicts with the LAN DHCP address assignement, and then have the VPN bridge between the VPN clients and the LAN. e.g. LAN network 192.168.100.x, VPN address range 192.168.200.x . Then on the VPN clients you would add some static routes back for key addresses within the LAN That's not how the 7610 works - it must be assigning VPN client IP address on the same network range as the LAN if you want your VPN client to 'see' the LAN

View solution in original post

Highlighted

We followed the instruction as per PDF document.

We haven't an issue to connect. We checked the log on the Gateway Pro V7610 and we found this error:

[strongSwan, connection fail] 120.18.56.XXX: deleting half open IKE_SA after timeout Tuesday, December 05, 2017 15:14:08

Under Platforms Supported, we selected the Win 7 (Ikev2), Android, iOS, OS X.

We just wondering what is your configuration to make this work. Do you still has to generate certificate and installed on the client machine? BTW, we are using Windows 10 and I'm not sure this is compatible or not.

I'm appreciated your feedback.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more