BC210
Level 2: Rookie

VPN Modem/Router

Answered

Hi there,

1. I would like to use a Linksys WRT3200 ACM MU-MIMO Router, so as to be able to configure a VPN client on my home network within the router.

I presently have the Telstra Smart Gen2 which doesn't support VPN set-up .....

Is there a way I can connect my Linksys WRT3200 (to achieve my VPN setup) to my Telstra Smart Gen2 and not loose my Landline Phone connection which is plugged into the Smart Gen2.

2. Or is there a replacement Modem/Router which will handle VPN, available for a Direct Replacement of my Smart Gen2 that will also give me Landline Phone connections.

Any help would be most apprechiated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BC210
Accepted Solution

Re: VPN Modem/Router

Thanks cf4 & very happy that you replied! having read many of your posts, your knowledge on modem/routers are to be applauded and hopefully be able to give me a solution to my problem .... but ...... I forgot to say in my post that my connection is FTTN and really would like to connect my Linksys WRT3200 ACM MU-MIMO to the Smart Gen2 somehow, and then configure my WRT3200 to use NordVPN (within the Router). But as previously said I don't want to loose my landline phone which is plugged into the gen2.

At the moment I'm using NordVPN installed on my PC running Win10 & likewise on my other networked PC's (4), but reading up all the info re:VPN's have come to the belief that it would be better installed on a compatible router which will run them all .... hence the WRT3200. So if there is anyway of achieving this .... I'd be a happy chappy ....

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

If your connection is not a FTTN or FTTB connection (Smart modem's DSL port is connected to a phone) you could connect the Linksys WRT3200 ACM MU-MIMO Router directly to the NBN NTD and connect the smart modem's WAN port to a LAN port on the Linksys WRT3200 ACM MU-MIMO Router. Set the Linksys WRT3200 ACM MU-MIMO Router for an IPOE connection type (ISP does not require a login). If phone doesn't work check SIP ALG is disabled in Linksys WRT3200 ACM MU-MIMO Router. 

BC210
Accepted Solution

Thanks cf4 & very happy that you replied! having read many of your posts, your knowledge on modem/routers are to be applauded and hopefully be able to give me a solution to my problem .... but ...... I forgot to say in my post that my connection is FTTN and really would like to connect my Linksys WRT3200 ACM MU-MIMO to the Smart Gen2 somehow, and then configure my WRT3200 to use NordVPN (within the Router). But as previously said I don't want to loose my landline phone which is plugged into the gen2.

At the moment I'm using NordVPN installed on my PC running Win10 & likewise on my other networked PC's (4), but reading up all the info re:VPN's have come to the belief that it would be better installed on a compatible router which will run them all .... hence the WRT3200. So if there is anyway of achieving this .... I'd be a happy chappy ....

View solution in original post

cf4

You could connect the Linksys WRT3200 ACM MU-MIMO Router's WAN to a LAN port off the Smart modem. You should have internet access but will have double NAT. Most of the problems of double NAT can be avoided by setting up Linksys WRT3200 ACM MU-MIMO Router in DMZ of Smart modem.

BC210

Many thanks ... I'll get back as soon as I've set it up and tried it

BC210

Hi cf4, .... Finally got got there albeit, changed the Linksys for an Asus RT-AX58U having been rather put off by all the flashing required for the WRT3200. The Asus worked fine ..... but as you've already advised me, I now have a double NAT!!

Not knowing anything about DMZ and how to setup it up in the smart modem, ......  it requires a "Destination IP" ???..... could you please give me a clue as to What would be my "Destination IP" ..... the only other requirement is to turn the DMZ ON !.

All in all, it's been an interesting exercise and a good learning curve for me ..... again thanks for your help.

cf4

The destination IP address is the WAN IP address of the Asus RT-AX58U router. To stop the IP address changing you could either set the Asus RT-AX58U to use a static IP address or set up a static lease for the Asus RT-AX58U in the Smart modem  (Advanced > Local Network). You will need to know the Asus RT-AX58U router's WAN MAC address to set up a static lease. This information as well as Asus RT-AX58U current IP address is displayed in the Smart modem at Advance > Devices  (Technicolor modem) or Advanced > Local Network > Devices (Arcadyan modem).

BC210

Excellent .... thank you so much, ..... have taken all your advice onboard and DMZ all set-up now and working great.

PS. thank heavens for guy's like you with the knowledge & expertise willing to help us mere novices on forums such as this. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more