Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Wake on Lan not working from wan - Arcadyan LH1000

I am not able to get WOL working from an external IP, it works on the internal network, I can wake it up from another computer on the lan. I know the feature works as I originally set the PC up at my house and had it working perfectly with an ASUS router on Optus NBN. Since moving the computer to my father's house with Telstra NBN and Arcadyan LH1000 modem, the WOL from WAN does not work. I have disabled the firewall and tried all the usual port forwarding for port 9 and 7, and various other ports, all with no success. I usually use a powershell script, however I have tried 3rd party WOL apps including teamviewer, again with no success for the WOL. Just to add teamviewer and VNC both work for remote access when the PC is on. 

I've spent a lot of time trying to get this working and I'm just spinning my wheels, any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Wake on Lan not working from wan - Arcadyan LH1000

Have you tried port forwarding ports 9 and 10 UDP to 192.168.0.255?

Highlighted

I already have port forwarding setup as you suggest on port 9, I hadn't tried port 10. I just added port forwarding on port 10 as well and tried, but it also doesn't work. I've read several references to "open port 9 and then setup port forwarding on port 9". I haven't been able to find out how to "open a port". I turned off the router firewall, so wouldn't that essentially mean all ports are open or am I missing something?

One thing I haven't investigated yet is my ASUS router has NAT passthrough, I don't see that option in the Arcadyan router, in saying that my understanding is NAT shouldn't come into it, don't know if I am correct.

Highlighted

Turning off firewall want open all the ports. For the port to be open there has to be port forwarding rule set up in the modem manually or by UPNP and a port open on the device that has the LAN IP address set in the port forwarding rule.

The NAT passthrough setting on the ASUS router is for VPN connections and should not effect Wake on LAN.

I haven't tried Wake on LAN using the Arcadyan modem. When I get home I will check if it works.

Highlighted

Thanks.

For interest sake below is a copy of the powershell script I'm using. The last line is the call to the send-wol function that is written. I set the mac to be the mac of the pc I want to wakeup. I set the ip to be 192.168.0.255 for internal or I use the router's public ip for external. Using this script or the wol feature in teamviewer I can wake up the pc from within the network, but neither work from a public address.

function Send-WOL

{

<#

.SYNOPSIS

Send a WOL packet to a broadcast address

.PARAMETER mac

The MAC address of the device that need to wake up

.PARAMETER ip

The IP address where the WOL packet will be sent to

.EXAMPLE

Send-WOL -mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 -ip 192.168.2.100

#>

[CmdletBinding()]

param(

[Parameter(Mandatory=$True,Position=1)]

[string]$mac,

[string]$ip="255.255.255.255",

[int]$port=10

)

$broadcast = [Net.IPAddress]:Smiley Tonguearse($ip)

$mac=(($mac.replace(":","")).replace("-","")).replace(".","")

$target=0,2,4,6,8,10 | % {[convert]::ToByte($mac.substring($_,2),16)}

$packet = (,[byte]255 * 6) + ($target * 16)

$UDPclient = new-Object System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient

$UDPclient.Connect($broadcast,$port)

[void]$UDPclient.Send($packet, 102)

}

send-WOL -mac xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx -ip 192.168.0.255

Highlighted

I haven't tried WOL via IPV6, I haven't been able to find anything in relation to whether this may work when IPV4 isn't. Do you know if the way IPV6 is processed will make any difference? My networking knowledge is limited, I was thinking by the time the magic packet finds the router, it's all the same after that.

Highlighted

Managed to get WOL working by port forwarding port 9 UDP to 192.168.0.255 and using an Android app called WOLON.

The app has two different settings templates one for a wake when connected to LAN and the other for Wake over the internet. Used the WAN device template.

I use a dynamic DNS service so entered the Dynamic URL in the Router IP Host name.

Set port to 9

Entered 255.255.255.0 in the Status check/Hostname.

Highlighted

@Cliff006 

Made a mistake in my previous reply. Instead of port forwarding UDP port 9 to 192.168.0.255 forwarded it to 192.168.0.xx where 192.168.0.xx is the LAN address of the PC.

Highlighted

Thx, WOLON didn't work, I bought my father the exact same computer as myself, and testing tonight wake on lan via wan isn't working on mine either, so I'm very confused, I spent the night chasing bios settings and win10 ethernet settings. Just saw your latest message which was actually the exact way I was doing it previously. I adjusted the port forwarding for the exact lan address and the weird thing is it worked once. I have not been able to make it work a second time. I definitely have the latest bios and drivers. What are your settings? I find it very odd it would work once after changing the port forwarding and then not work again. I am sure when I had my father's computer here I did start it via wan many times, but now I'm starting to doubt myself.

Highlighted

Did you reserve the PCs IP address in the LH1000 (Go to Advanced > Local Network > Local Network > Static Leases.

On my PC I just set the Device Manager > Ethernet Adapter > Properties > Power Management to "Allow this device to wake the computer" and "Only allow magic packet to wake the computer"

Highlighted

yes I have static leases set. Weirdly after sending my message last night, without changing anything it started working on wan for wake up from sleep and hibernate, but not shutdown. And this morning it is now working for shutdown. I'm going to shut it down for a few hours to see if it still works after being shutdown for a while. This has all been on my PC, so I need to now also test on my father's pc.

Highlighted

I think I understand what's going on. I originally had the port forwarding to the pc IP address, but later changed it to be 192.168.1.255, which broke it for WAN wake up. It now works consistently via wan for hibernate and sleep, but not shutdown. In all cases the pc ethernet port lights are on. However I've noticed in the router the PC ip address disappears from the list of online devices about 15 secs after shutdown. If I issue the wol via wan before this occurs it will turn on, but doesn't work after the ip disappears. 

I assume even though there's a static address and port forwarding, if it doesn't see the IP as active then it mustn't be forwarding the magic packet.

Question, is there a way to make the router send the packet even though it can't see the IP as active, OR as it works via lan using 255 broadcast, is there a way to somehow create a trusted source IP so the router will send the 255 broadcast, OR lastly and outside my level of knowledge am I able to log into the router via SSH to issue the magic packet to the 255 broadcast?

Highlighted

While I have my home PC working again, WOL over WAN still not working on my fathers computers. I can remote log into his Arcadyan modem and I've noticed that both devices stop showing as being connected when in sleep mode. Opposite to my PC at home, so I'm guessing this is why it is not working.

Does your computer show as connected to your arcadyan modem when in sleep?

I have the ethernet controllers both setup the same as my home PC, so hoping it's not a bios setting as that means a long drive, I can't see any settings in the router that may do this, any ideas?

Highlighted

When in sleep mode my PC appears in the list off connected device with a IPv4 and IPv6 address (Home > Devices Tab). When PC is turned off it does not show in list of connected devices and WOL does not work either remotely or when issued from a device on local network.

I can't see any settings in the modem that could effect this. Does the modem have the same firmware as yours?

Highlighted

I use an ASUS router, so different. His Arcardyan modem has v0.12.09r. Interesting that it behaves different in sleep to your Arcadyan. Makes me think I missed something in his BIOS, but I did have it working off my router before I gave it to him.

To get the WOL working on LAN when shutdown I needed to disable Deep Sleep in the BIOS and send the magic packet to the broadcast IP 192.168.x.255, not the device IP. My PC disappears from connection on the ASUS router, but the PC ethernet port lights are still on. This works for me using both WOLON and the PowerShell script.

In my research I discovered when it disconnects it gets pruned from the arp table 30-60 seconds later. After which the port forwarding doesn't work and port forwarding won't forward the 255 broadcast IP. It also explains why sometimes it worked, because if I was quick with my testing I would send the magic packet before the arp was pruned. All starting to make sense.

I just need to figure out why his PC is disconnecting in sleep.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more