Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

WAN cable V's LAN cable for NBN modem

Answered

I want to move my Telstra modem to the other side of the room. It would be a max length of 10 meters, but I am unsure if there is a difference between the WAN cable and the LAN cable that comes with the modem, and where would be the best place to source a longer WAN cable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector
Accepted Solution

Re: WAN cable V's LAN cable for NBN modem

If you read the information on the cables you will notice they both say Cat 5e 568B.

They are the same so you can go purchase any straight through ethernet cable to your required length. Make sure its Cat 5e or Cat 6.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The cables are electrically identical. A LAN cable can be used on the WAN port of the modem. Cables can be purchased at Office works, Bunnings and most electrical/electronic stores. There are crossover ethernet cables but most cables are straight through. You need a straight through cable. All cables called LAN cables are straight through cables.

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector
Accepted Solution

If you read the information on the cables you will notice they both say Cat 5e 568B.

They are the same so you can go purchase any straight through ethernet cable to your required length. Make sure its Cat 5e or Cat 6.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more