Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Wemo switches won't connect to Telstra ADSL modem

Answered

Hi there

I recently had Telstra broadband connected (previously with iiNet) and suddenly none of my Wemo smart power switches work with the new modem. 

I have factory reset all the switches and run through the pairing process with the new wifi modem, but they don't show up in the Wemo app on my iPhone (even though they do show up as connected to wifi in the Telstra Home Dashboard app). 

I wondered if it might be the modem doing something weird, so I tried re-pairing them to my old iinet modem and they worked again (but obviously can't really use that modem any more).

I'm wondering if there's some setting I need to change in the Telstra modem to get them to work? I have disabled band steering and am connecting the wemo to the 2.4ghz specifically.

Thanks

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Wemo switches won't connect to Telstra ADSL modem

You should be able to use the iiNet modem. on a Telstra ADSL connection. Just enter your Telstra user name and password.

To get the switches connected to Telstra Modem you could try changing its LAN IP address and LAN IP address range to match the iiNet modem. To do this log into modem and go to Advanced > Local Network. See section 27 of this document

Could also try changing WiFi SSID and password to match iiNet modem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You should be able to use the iiNet modem. on a Telstra ADSL connection. Just enter your Telstra user name and password.

To get the switches connected to Telstra Modem you could try changing its LAN IP address and LAN IP address range to match the iiNet modem. To do this log into modem and go to Advanced > Local Network. See section 27 of this document

Could also try changing WiFi SSID and password to match iiNet modem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 19: Deputy Director

While I commend you on trying to save the planet, but I wonder if people into the internet connection of devices are not totally bonkers!  How hard is it to turn off a light or turn on a kettle? 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/12/english-man-spends-11-hours-trying-to-make-cup-of...

I have an extreme dislike of all wireless communication due to neighbours who believe they have a divine right to hack via wifi and bluetooth, I don't use any device with these in my home anymore, although the bluetooth hacking appears to have ceased, I've disabled the 4G network on my "Smart" modem.  I even use a VPN on my desktop!  I have developed a strong interest in IT security.  So consider wifi hacking when setting this up and please use a VPN. 

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Not a particularly helpful response, but I understand your "hacking" concern. It isn't hard to turn off a light or kettle when you're in the house, but I use the Wemo's to remotely turn on and off a NAS drive so I can remote access data when I'm at my office or travelling. That way I don't have the NAS drive unnecessarily running 24/7 when i only use it every few days. I do use a VPN.
Highlighted

Good to know re the VPN.  I'm a bit "under the pump" where I live.  I know I have had neighbours who work in IT ie: engineers, IT graduates. 

Given my experience I'm loath to attach a USB drive to a modem here, much less a NAS device.  Did you know that a modem with WPS, though it is disabled can be used as an entry point for example. 

If I was in your situation I would use a Cloud drive instead and backup this on a home or another Cloud account. 

Sorry but there is at least one really determined ba....d where I live.  Currently using a bridged modem only with a VPN.

Highlighted

Good to know re the VPN.  I'm a bit "under the pump" where I live.  I know I have had neighbours who work in IT ie: engineers, IT graduates. 

Given my experience I'm loath to attach a USB drive to a modem here, much less a NAS device.  Did you know that a modem with WPS, though it is disabled can be used as an entry point for example?

If I was in your situation I would use a Cloud drive instead and backup this on a home or another Cloud account. 

Sorry but there is at least one really determined ba....d where I live.  Currently using a bridged modem only with a VPN.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more