V8Mate
Level 1: Cadet

What do I do now? Still no internet on NBN and Telstra support advises my case has been closed

10 Jan, 6:30am we found our internet was down and no dial tone on the home phone. The modem was showing 2 red lights, the rest green. Did the usual restart on the NBN modem, also restarted the computer, still nothing. We had to go to work so my wife lodged the issue with 24/7 chat and got a reference no INC00611792, was advised there was no outage and we would need to contact support from home so they could troubleshoot the modem.

Used the mobile to call support that evening, Telstra team member attempted to restart our modem remotely but couldn't. Asked if we had a Telstra phone, advised it is a Panasonic. She then said that our phone is faulty and we would have to replace it and must buy a Telstra phone or we could not be helped. Went to the local Telstra store told them the story which they found unbelievable and suggested we call back and speak to someone else. We bought a phone anyway just in case, of course it made no difference.

Called back Support, someone else said he had no idea why the previous operator would say it was our phone causing the issue as it was definitely the modem. He then discovered our case had been closed and was updating me with this information when the system switched me through to the post call survey, selected the option to speak to someone else, and after being on hold for around an hour received a recorded message saying Telstra was sorry they couldn't help and disconnected the call.

So almost 3 hours wasted, money spent on another phone which didn't resolve the issue and then disconnected. Really not impressed, very negative customer experience, no wonder there are so many detractors. Now tonight we have to call again and start the whole process again, unfortunately neither of us has the luxury of being able to stay home and make calls during the day as we both work fulltime. Does anyone have any idea on the best way to approach this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: What do I do now? Still no internet on NBN and Telstra support advises my case has been closed

Did they get you to factory reset the modem? This can sometimes help.

Also, (assuming an FTTN connection) if you log in to the modems homepage and go to advanced->Internet->statistics and see what the xDSL status is. If it is up, it means that the modem is seeing the VDSL signal and it is most likely a configuration issue in either the NBN or Telstra networks. If it is down, it means that it is not seeing the VDSL signal from the node and that there is most likely a problem on the NBN side of things (cable come loose or faulty port).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
V8Mate
Level 1: Cadet

Re: What do I do now? Still no internet on NBN and Telstra support advises my case has been closed

Thank you, I will try and get into the Gateway log and check that tonight.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more