BradW2
Level 2: Rookie

What Gateway to use?

I have a Samsung TV that suddenly stopped connecting to my Telstra Smart Modem, both wifi and via ethernet. I have assigned a static IP address to the MAC address for the TV and have entered that IP address into the TV network settings along with the standard Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0. However, it is also asking for a Gateway which by default is 0.0.0.0. I can't figure out what it should be. Any advice? Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: What Gateway to use?

192.168.0.1 is the IP address of the gateway.

BradW2

Thanks for your response. I entered the Gateway as you suggested but then it said I had to enter the DNS server. So I entered the same value but the connection failed.

Not sure what to do as this wired connection used to work without any issue. It also cannot see the wifi signals in our house.

Any suggestions?

cf4

Your  modem probably has a faulty 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band and your TV can't see the modem's 5 GHz Wi-Fi because it only supports 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. Your other devices are probably dual band and are connecting to the modem's 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

To check if modem's 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi is faulty suggest you disable band steering in modem's 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi setting. This will add -5G to the name of modem's 5GHz Wi-Fi. If you now only see the modem's name with the -5G added on your other devices then modem's 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi is faulty. It is not uncommon for the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi to develop a fault and modem should be replaced under warranty by contacting Telstra support.

If modem's Wi-Fi is not faulty.

Set up Tv to use DHCP.

Factory reset modem by pressing the button on back near LAN port 2 for at least 10 seconds.

Try connecting TV. 

sadatvid
Level 1: Cadet

i was also looking for the same. vidmate save insta

BradW2

Thanks. What is troubling is that I have an ethernet connection to the TV which stopped working. I was only trying to switch to wifi to troubleshoot. 

Given that both ethernet and wifi is not working, does this mean a component in the TV is faulty?

cf4

It is unlikely that both the ethernet and Wi-Fi go faulty on the PC. Can the TV see your phones hotspot and connect to it?

BradW2

No. Can't see any wifi signal. Not even the neighbours which the other devices see. 

cf4

It looks like the TV could be faulty.

Jupiter

I have a Samsung TV that had the same problem.

Try unplugging the TV from the power for at least 30 seconds and then turn it back on.

If that doesn't work, go into the settings on the TV and restore to factory settings.

If those two steps don't work, it sounds like the networking card in your TV has died.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
BradW2

Thanks for the info.

I have tried this and neither works. 

Would a dead networking card impact both wifi and ethernet?

Thanks

Jupiter

If it is the network controller portion that has died, then yes.

If it was just the wifi board, then the ethernet port would still work. If it was the ethernet port (ie a physical problem with the socket), then the wifi would still work. Both failing would indicate the network controller itself has died.

You should contact Samsung on 1300 362 603 (8am-8pm 7 days) and they will be able to assist on repair options.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
BradW2

Thanks for your help. Cheers.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more