tonygad
Level 5: Eagle Eye

What if any are the differences between Telstra Smart Modem and Technicolor TG800vac

Need some guru advice as to whether to update our Technicolor TG800vac to Telstra Smart Modem.

That said my wife and I are not on the Telstra Mobile network which I've seem to have concluded that should our internet connection goes belly up the Smart Modem would automatically switch our connection to Telstra Mobile network???

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: What if any are the differences between Telstra Smart Modem and Technicolor TG800vac

If you are in a Telstra Mobile 4G reception area, then the Smart Modem will switch over to that should the landline connection drop out. The SIM card is preloaded and the fee for the service is included in your monthly internet service plan.

The speed on the backup is limited to 6/1Mbps.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
tonygad

Re: What if any are the differences between Telstra Smart Modem and Technicolor TG800vac

Thanks Jupiter (largest planet in our solar systemSmiley Happy for your prompt reply.
I figured as much and thus no need for us to switch to Telstra Smart Modem unless of course my wife and I decide to go with Telstra mobile network
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I just wanted to clarify that there is no additional monthly charges for the 4G mobile broadband back-up that is part of the Telstra Smart Modem. It utilises the data allowance of your home internet service. 

Speeds when using the 4G back-up on the Telstra Smart Gateway are limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter

@tonygad, just to clarify, it has nothing at all to do with who your mobile phone accounts are with. It is a totally separate service. It is purely part of your landline internet connection.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
tonygad

hmmm...Hey Jupiter, FYI my wife and I have been very long term Telstra customers and are currently on an unlimited data plan with our NBN internet connection however both our mobile phones are connected to the Optus 4G network mainly for economic reasons.
Thus I assume the Telstra Smart Modem would be of no use to us unless we joined Telstra's 4G mobile network?
And yes, I get the 4G back up issue regarding limitation of download/upload speeds.
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Because the 4G back-up utilises your home internet data allowance, it doesn't require that you have any mobile services with Telstra. It is part of your internet service and the only additional charge associated with it is purchasing the modem itself. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more