jaseee96
Level 1: Cadet

Which Modem for Wireless Broadband? Need help ASAP please

Answered

Hi All,

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the matter. So I am about to move into a place upstairs. I rent currently, The landlords will not pay for a line to run into the unit upstairs & I'm not going to pay for it either and currently a phone line is not installed either. So what are my options? What Wireless Router or Wireless Modem could I use? I know it's not the best option but for now I just want to get my internet going? Apparently the real estate told me I have to get a connection wireless through a router previous tenants did this also. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Which Modem for Wireless Broadband? Need help ASAP please

There are several modems out there that will do what you want....

4G Devices like the Telstra Smart Modem 2 devices will run off a standard mobile data SIM (but no voice)

Same goes for the Huawei E5186 and B525e models will work with both a standard mobile data SIM, or if you use a voice/data SIM you can get a standard corded telephone handset to work as well.. these have capability for multiple LAN ports..

Mobile broadband dongles are also an option if you can get away with purely Wi-Fi connections.

These 'older' modems can be purchased from the second hand market quite cheaply..

There are 5G options also, including a modem, including on a plan, from Telstra and other providers.. some of these will allow an unmanaged switch to be connected to provide LAN ports as well as the modem Wi-Fi..

A couple of things.. 

1. Mobile data and voice/data plans are not usually unlimited and depending on what you intend to do over the service, might need to be carefully managed to avoid running out of data..  So check out that aspect when considering options.. look at prepaid as well which might allow 'top-ups'.. or consider using multiple SIM's and/or 'shared' data plans to build up the data quota.

2. 5G is nice and quick when the service is good, but there are plenty of user experiences here that 5G can be a bit unreliable at times, sometimes the 4G LTE option is a better choice for consistency and reliability. The disadvantage of 5G (from my own point of view) is that data gets used up faster..

You need to figure out your expected use and then research what is available that will deliver a service to suit that requirement..

There a quite a lot of options available, but the way you intend to use the internet is key to which solution is best for you.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

There are several modems out there that will do what you want....

4G Devices like the Telstra Smart Modem 2 devices will run off a standard mobile data SIM (but no voice)

Same goes for the Huawei E5186 and B525e models will work with both a standard mobile data SIM, or if you use a voice/data SIM you can get a standard corded telephone handset to work as well.. these have capability for multiple LAN ports..

Mobile broadband dongles are also an option if you can get away with purely Wi-Fi connections.

These 'older' modems can be purchased from the second hand market quite cheaply..

There are 5G options also, including a modem, including on a plan, from Telstra and other providers.. some of these will allow an unmanaged switch to be connected to provide LAN ports as well as the modem Wi-Fi..

A couple of things.. 

1. Mobile data and voice/data plans are not usually unlimited and depending on what you intend to do over the service, might need to be carefully managed to avoid running out of data..  So check out that aspect when considering options.. look at prepaid as well which might allow 'top-ups'.. or consider using multiple SIM's and/or 'shared' data plans to build up the data quota.

2. 5G is nice and quick when the service is good, but there are plenty of user experiences here that 5G can be a bit unreliable at times, sometimes the 4G LTE option is a better choice for consistency and reliability. The disadvantage of 5G (from my own point of view) is that data gets used up faster..

You need to figure out your expected use and then research what is available that will deliver a service to suit that requirement..

There a quite a lot of options available, but the way you intend to use the internet is key to which solution is best for you.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

jayonaise
Support Team
Support Team

The options listed on the Mobile Broadband page (https://tel.st/vmjq88) work from a mobile signal and can be taken with you when you move.

Better options will become available in more areas as the rollout and upgrades of the 5G network continue.

(https://tel.st/u9rzpu).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more