CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Why are no ports are shown as open - smart modem gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000 (0.08.06r)

Answered

My smart modem gen 2 is an Arcadyan LH1000. Firmware Version = 0.08.06r. Hardware Version = .01. It's FIREWALL is "ON" Defensive Strength = "Normal". The modem works well and download speeds are as advertised. Upload speeds are WOEFUL (single digit Kbps) even though www.speedtest.net shows about 38Mbps. No ports are shown as open at canyouseeme.org using my external ip address. Why Not? Do I have to make any changes in the Arcadyan settings? I am trying to set up port forwarding for p2p bittorent. Default Values are automatically entered for WAN & LAN settings. What value should I enter for "Destination IP"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Why are no ports are shown as open - smart modem gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000 (0.08.06r)

Enter the LAN IP address of the device you want to port forward to. The modem does not support NAT loopback so you want be able to access a device connected to the modem from another device  connected to modem using modem's public IP address.

How are you testing upload speed? 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Accepted Solution

Re: Why are no ports are shown as open - smart modem gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000 (0.08.06r)

Enter the LAN IP address of the device you want to port forward to. The modem does not support NAT loopback so you want be able to access a device connected to the modem from another device  connected to modem using modem's public IP address.

How are you testing upload speed? 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for your help, but ... You still haven't answered why my ports are not seen (are cIosed) when I use canyouseeme.   I am totally confused as to how I find my modem's public IP address. Using "ipconfig/all" is the answer for IPv4 Address my public ip address [IPv4 Address. . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)]? If so why do I get a different address when I use https://whatismyipaddress.com/? [IPv4:144.134.63.184]?

Do I need to turn on "Network Discovery" in Network and Sharing Center?
If so, wouldn't my computer become insecure?
Highlighted

The firewall on the modem blocks all incoming ports. To open a port you have to manually set up port forwarding rules. In some cases apps and devices use UPNP to automatically set up port forwarding rules to open ports that the device needs to work properly. For a port to be shown as open at a site as canyousee, a port forwarding rule has to be set up in the modem pointing to the LAN IP address of the device and the port must be open on the device.

When you do an IP config it shows the LAN IP addresses (Private addresses of modem). A site such as https://whatismyipaddress.com/ displays the WAN IP address of modem (public IP address of the modem) that is why the IP addresses are different.

Internet ====WAN IP (Public IP address) Modem LAN IP (Private IP)===(Private IP) Device

144.134.xx.xx                                192.168.0.1                         192.168.0.2

Suggest you reboot your modem so that you get a new WAN IP address. A hacker reading this post can use your WAN IP address to lodge a attack.

Turning on Network and sharing will not result in your computer becoming insecure as it is protected by the modems firewall. Its only if network and sharing is turned on while connected to a public network will make your computer insecure.

Highlighted

Thank you for the advice about getting a new WAN IP.  I have done that and will not disclose WAN IP again.

Now, getting back to configuring port forwarding for bittorrent. When I input WAN IP into the "Destination IP" box and try to save it, message states that the value is "NOT A VALID IP ADDRESS".  That problem is what prompted me to seek CrowdSupport help.  Adding to my confusion is that it accepted the LAN IP.  Totally confused.Smiley Frustrated  What is the correct value that I should enter?

OK, let's talk CANYOUSEEME. Obviously, I guess I need to set up port forwarding for that kind of thing as well. What option in port forwarding do I choose and how do I configure if properly.

Using "bulletin boards" in the old days, prior to WWW, was a lot simpler.Smiley Wink

You must go mad trying to help the bewildered!Robot LOL

Highlighted

You enter the LAN IP address. If port forwarding is working correctly then a packet of data arriving at the WAN port of the modem with the WAN port's IP address and port number gets sent to the Destination IP address of the port forwarding rule.

Canyousee uses the WAN ports IP address port is open by sending a packet to the modem's WAN'S IP address and port. The modem then sends the packet to the port forwarding rule's Destination IP address. If the port on the device is also open an acknowledgement packet is then sent back to canyouseeme indicating port is open. 

Highlighted

OK. Thanx!

But CANYOUSEE doesn't see any port as being open. Is there anything I can do because I know ports are open otherwise I wouldn't be able to use the internet?

Highlighted

You can use the internet because all outgoing ports are open. All incoming ports are closed so incoming traffic cannot initiate a connection. The connection can only be initiated by devices on the local network making an outgoing connection.

If you are trying to open a port to fix low upload speed it will not work. The Arcadyan modem as well as not supporting NAT loop back has another bug that limits file transfer traffic on the WiFi network. You can prove If this is what is causing the low upload speed by temporarily turning the modem's firewall off.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more