Level 3: Gumshoe

why did my DAP-1522 wireless bridge stopped recognising my DJA0231 Gen2 modem wifi signal 2 days ago

Answered

DID A RECENT (It's 17/12/20) TELSTRA FIRMWARE UPDATE to DJA0231 BREAK COMPATIBILITY WITH OLDER DUAL FREQUENCY WIFI BRIDGES/APs (noticed problem on 15/12/20)?

I got my Telstra-NBN set up 51days ago according to its logs. Transition from cable was easy. The DJA0231 even allowed me to remove an internal DWRT router as its own dual frequency wifi with Band Steering on easily inter-connected all my devices including a dual frequency DAP-1522. I had 3 desktops upstairs connected to a DAP-1522 running in wireless bridge mode (i.e., being bridged to the DJA0231). The DJA0231 firmware is now 18.1.c.0543-950-RA. Three laptops, two tablets and 2 phones still connect fine to the DJA0231, however, the DAP-1522 connected desktops have NO internet access with a little yellow triangle in the lower right corner for 2 days or so. The DAP-1522 set-up shows a bunch of SSIDs from neighbours but none from my own DJA0231.

1. I disabled the band steering in DJA0231. No change. Everything except the desktops connected DAP-1522 still connected fine.

2. Factory re-set the DAP-1522. No Change.

3. Back in 2009 I bought  2 DAP-1522s. One was catching dust in its shrink-wrap as I downsized my original plan. I pugged in the unused "new" one and like the one used for over 10 years it saw the neighbours' but not  my SSIDs.

4. I have a HUAWEI 4G B525 mobile modem-router for backup that I have not been using since before I was switched to Telstra NBN. Both of my DAP-1522s recognise and connect to HUAWEI like they did to the Telstra DJA0231 before the 15th of December. In fact, I am using it to  write this.

The situation could be explained by Telstra recently upgrading the DJA0231 firmware online and thereby breaking compatibility with older dual frequency wifi devices. If so, will they remedy the problem? If not, any ideas on another explanation\resolution?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: why did my DAP-1522 wireless bridge stopped recognising my DJA0231 Gen2 modem wifi signal 2 days

The firmware updated added Protected management Frame WiFi security to the modem. Your DAP 1522 probably does not support PMF. Suggest you disable PMF in modems advancedvWiFi settings for both wifi bands or look for a firmware update for DAP 1522 that adds PMF support.

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

Re: why did my DAP-1522 wireless bridge stopped recognising my DJA0231 Gen2 modem wifi signal 2 days

Thank you for the suggestions: Disabling PMF as on its own made no difference. Updating the DAP-1522 firmware to the latest from 2014 together with disabled PMF resulted in no change either.

The following partially solved the issue: Disabling Band Steering in addition to disabling PMF brought back  recognition of the 2.4GHz signal of the DJA0231 but the, now separate, 5GHz SSID is still not visible. At least the DAP1522 is now working on 2.4GHz. BTW both DAPs are the same, so its has next to nothing probability both  5GHz radio just died in the same specific way. There must have been some tinkering with the band frequency steering broadcasting/negotiating algorithms not  just the PMF in the firmware. I accepted your solution because without it the DAPs did not work at all.

Accepted Solution

There s a couple of things I would try in the Smart modem's WiFi settings.:

1. Change the 5GHz WiFi channel. Select a non DFS channel.
  2. Change 5 GHz channel Width to 20/40

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Accepted Solution

The firmware updated added Protected management Frame WiFi security to the modem. Your DAP 1522 probably does not support PMF. Suggest you disable PMF in modems advancedvWiFi settings for both wifi bands or look for a firmware update for DAP 1522 that adds PMF support.

Accepted Solution

Thank you for the suggestions: Disabling PMF as on its own made no difference. Updating the DAP-1522 firmware to the latest from 2014 together with disabled PMF resulted in no change either.

The following partially solved the issue: Disabling Band Steering in addition to disabling PMF brought back  recognition of the 2.4GHz signal of the DJA0231 but the, now separate, 5GHz SSID is still not visible. At least the DAP1522 is now working on 2.4GHz. BTW both DAPs are the same, so its has next to nothing probability both  5GHz radio just died in the same specific way. There must have been some tinkering with the band frequency steering broadcasting/negotiating algorithms not  just the PMF in the firmware. I accepted your solution because without it the DAPs did not work at all.

Did you disable PMF in the 5 GHz band of the smart modem?

Yes, I have disabled PMF on both the 2.4 and the 5 GHZ channels on the smart modem. Also restarted both the smart-modem and the DAPs after doing so. Still, only the 2.4 channel's SSID is seen by the DAPs. This is a satisfactory result as yesterday DAPs could connect to either. All my laptops tablets and phones see and can connect to both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz channels of the smart-modem (obviously I had to re-enter the network key" for the 5G channel).

The 5GHZ channel's SSID got a -5G suffix once I disabled Band Steering. Both the original network name and the 5G suffixed one are visible/connectible to all my devices except the DAPs, which only see the 2.4 GHz network name. If you have an idea how to get back the 5GHz channels for the DAPs, I am open to suggestions.

My educated guess is that firmware update on the smart modem possibly introduced a bug that breaks compatibility for older 5GHz channel protocols in the Band Steering. What's weird, however, is that up until 2-3 days ago everything worked and the smart-modem indicated that it was up for 50 days. Assuming that an on-line firmware update would have restarted the smart-modem I should have started to experience the problem a long ago.

Level 21: Augmented

Hi - as a matter of interest, may I ask - in the DLink DAP1522,  2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz bands, what are the defaults shown and which ones have you selected for activation -  2.4 Ghz - n/g/b, n only, g+b  and for the 5Ghz - a, n or a+n (5Ghz) settings.

Have you edited the settings to be set to 802.11n only for both 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz bands as I would expect the Access Point to operate better on that the 'n' settings as it would be then focusing on one standard only . Do you have any very old devices that still use 802.11 b/g or a? The Telstra Gen 2 Modems work well with Telstra Wi-Fi Booster and other 802.11ac Access Points.

Hi Mkritch here is my WiFi setting in the DAP. I dont seem to be able to change it as it configures itself from the devices it recognises when the site survey button is clicked during setup and an SSID is selected. The site survey does NOT show the 5GHz SSID of the smart-modem only the 2.4 GHz. If PMF and/or Band Steering switched on it does not show anything. Happy to try what you suggest. Let me know how to manually change the Band and I'll give it a go. As shown below all settings you mentioned are inaccessible (greyed).

Firstly, apologies for my original suggestion as I was looking at the Access Point Page 20 of the User Manual and not the Wireless Bridge Page 60. Has the DAP firmware on both units been updated from their original 2009 release. Some observations and confirmations. 

1. DAP1522 A/P mode is either 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz mode, not both - switch setting positions on rear of unit. Yours is in Wireless Bridge Mode switch setting which appears to only have one common setting for both bands. 

2. The current version of the DAP User Manual setting for Wireless Bridge Mode Page 60 is slightly different to your screen. Is the blackened out SSID the same as the Telstra Modem's single SSID common name e.g. Telstra123456 ( when Bandsteering ON = 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz has one common name, if OFF separate SSIDs).

3. Protected Management Frames was introduced to the DJA0231 with Version 18.1.c 0514-950 RB, so if your DJA0231 was working with the DAP prior to the recent upgrade, it may have been on an earlier version e.g. 18.1.c 0462-950RA/RB and leapfrogged up to current level 18.1.c 0543-950 RA. So it seems PMF may be the culprit or there is an issue with the Firewall preventing some internal connectivity for your configuration.

4. For Wireless Bridge Mode, it seems the DAP is using a DLink version of Band Steering focusing on a common setting. The Huawei B525 on default installation has Protected Management Frames Disabled. If Enabled - it says "will only be triggered if the connected device support it". In its program settings, it only shows one name for the modem's SSID Huawei-B525-123X, however if you enable both bands, for devices, it will broadcast Huawei-B525-123X and Huawei-B525-5G-123X allowing wireless devices to see both SSIDs for selection, so I assume when you select Survey , it will display both Huawei bands - is that the case or are you only seeing one Huawei-B525-123X in the DAP screen. If you are seeing only one Huawei SSID name, it suggests the DAP is limited to only bridging to one SSID name, the common one for the host modem.

5. From that basis, depending on (4), either Enable or  Disable Bandsteering and Disable PMF in the DJA0231 and power Restart the modem.   

6. You indicated that the desktop 3 PC's connected to the DAP can't connect to the Internet - are they using wired or wireless adapters - if wireless, can you Disconnect/Forget Networks and do a fresh Connect. Either way, are they getting any IP address from the DJA0231 when you do an [ ipconfig/all ] command in a CMD screen. If they are getting an IP address, verify that it is coming from the DJA0231 by looking at its Default Gateway Address, the IPV6 one will have the last 6 alphanumeric suffix digits of the DJA0231 SSID interspersed with an : and completed with a %4 as shown i.e. If SSID = Telstra123456, the IPV6 address, the ending 9 digits will be 12:3456%4 . I assume the DAP DHCP Server is auto Disabled in Wireless Bridge Mode to avoid conflict with the DJA0231. 

Hope this gives you some basis for experimentation. I can't think of anything else.  

Small follow up - Somewhat dated DLink 2009 post, which provided a workaround using WPS to encourage the 5Ghz SSID to link under the headline grabbing Topic: "You CAN NOT set the DAP1522 to wireless in the 5GHZ mode as a wireless bridge"?  (Read 9989 times). Hope the workaround works for you. 

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4660.0 . The issue may have been resolved in later firmware versions which included some corrections to Wireless Bridge Mode ( Firmware: v1.40b03 Hardware: A1 Date: 20, Jan, 2011)

The DLink Support web site has a document with 33 pages of configuration screen shots of Wireless Bridge Mode. In that mode the DLink DHCP Server is  Auto Disabled, however you can assign a Static IP address from the DJA0231 and its IP Gateway address input so that you can continue to access the DAP directly and not otherwise have a Dynamically assigned IP lease expire. This would be done after you reserve that address e.g. 192.168.0.50 into the DJA0231, SAVE and Reboot modem. 

Hi Mkritch, thank you, it  still bugs me but IT happens and learnt a long time ago that some problems are unsolvable some solve themselves Smiley Happy.

I updated the firmware in both of my DAPs to Firmware: v1.42b01 Hardware: A1 Date: 20, March, 2014 on cf4 suggestion. The one I have been using since 2009 had Firmware: v1.40b03 Hardware: A1 Date: 20, Jan, 2011 the other I have not used before had v1.21 from 2009. Both DAPs  and all 3 firmware versions had exactly the same behaviour (i.e., they did not see the SINGLE SSID on "site survey" when the smart modem's Band Steering and PMF were on and saw only the 2.4gHz SSID when those were off).

I have been using the DAP-1522 in BRIDGE MODE only since 2009 and never had any problems until a few day ago. Since disabling Band Steering and PMF the DAP works like before. The only mystery remaining is why this happened a few days ago only. When I set up the smart-modem all I did was putting my own SSID used in the Cable era without a -5G suffix into the wifi setting of the smart modem and it worked perfectly until a few days ago. Initially thought that the DAP. The 2nd one I never used before behaving the same made hardware fault implausible.

From the discussion URL you gave it is clear that the DAP-1522 had (and might still have) issues with connecting at 5GHz in bridge mode. Maybe it was automatically connecting at 2.4 GHz all along. There is nothing in the DAP's settings to indicate which channel it is connected to and options greyed cannot be changed . Few days ago the DAP and all 3 desktops connected to it, stopped connecting to the smart-modem. My non-suffixed SSID in the site survey page of the DAP's setup vanished. Disabling the PMF suggested by alone did not solve the issue. Disabling the Band Steering as well gave access back to my non-suffixed SSID and connection to it but the -5G suffixed SSID is not showing up in site DAP's site survey.

With my cable service before I used the Telstra cable modem in bridge mode to WAN and the internal LAN router was a Linksys WRT1900ACSV2. with a linux based DD-WRT firmware which always kept the channel broadcasts separated as SSID and SSID-5G but both showed up on the DAP's site survey.  I removed the Linksys as the Telstra NBN Smart-modem with band steering simplified my network.

Out of curiosity I'd love to solve the mystery of what exactly changed in the Telstra smart modem. My DAP bridge is working again so I don't really care if it is working only on the 2.4 channel. 

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, it is an unresolved mystery, but I think we all gave it our best shot.

New anomalies are always discovered whenever a firmware update occurs with Telstra modems which may not impact all users the same way; they seem to be released quarterly and sometimes even more regularly. The Technicolor DJA0231 is a forked 'open source' coded modem based on OpenWRT, so it patch levels are what one call in the 'reasonably active' category. Haven't discovered what the Arcadyan is based on - it's locked down firm.   

PS: If you get interested in refreshing your tech and not wishing to sound like an Info-commercial Smiley Happy, one Telstra Wi-Fi Booster costs $9 per month (two cups of coffee) over 24 months. If it doesn't cover your needs, Telstra will give you a second Booster for free to mesh all three devices. If you own a Mac Mansion and still have blackspots, Telstra will give you a third Wi-Fi Booster for free. I wish Telstra showed the same level of interest in staffing their call centres.   

All the best.

Accepted Solution

There s a couple of things I would try in the Smart modem's WiFi settings.:

1. Change the 5GHz WiFi channel. Select a non DFS channel.
  2. Change 5 GHz channel Width to 20/40

@QLDCable  and @cf4 This is interesting. There are a few 2009/2010 vintage clips on YouTube which show how to configure the DAP1522 as a Wireless Bridge. One uses the WPS method with two cables (one to Router and second to PC).

The second clip is done by an official DLink presenter connects the Router to the DAP1522 (defaults to 192.168.0.50 fixed IP address, so no conflict) with a LAN cable for programming and then completes the Install and Site Survey process before resetting the DAP1522 and then removing the LAN cable and repositioning the DAP1522 to a remote location - didn't pick that up my reading of the User Manual - maybe that makes sure both bands present in the Site Survey if distance is otherwise an issue and allows a user to select their preferred band for backhaul. 

In early days of the Telstra Wi-Boosters Gen 2 , they followed the same install process with a LAN cable for initial synchronisation. Telstra Boosters use a dedicated 5Ghz High Band for backhaul link to the host modem. Program elements transferred to the DAP1522 from the Router would include the shared Channel to be used by both devices in Wireless Bridge Mode  and for the backhaul, given the era of design, it may prefer 2.4Ghz only to make sure the bridge is at best operating penetration. It depends if you get the invitation to actually select two SSIDs shown in Site Survey screen or if you can only nominate one for back haul when the two units are initially connected with a LAN cable.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYJPGqtyFZU 

Thank you cf4 you're a genius, it is the definitive solution.

I guess you noticed from my WIFI setup screen that  the DAP-1522 is stuck (greyed) on channel 36 (non-DFS) and channel width 20/40MHz. I completely missed it the issue. I checked the Telstra Smart Modem settings as you recommended. The 5GHz channel was running on a DFS channel with Channel Width on auto (20/40/80MHz). I set the channel to 36 and the DAP immediately recognised both SSIDs from the Telstra modem including the 5GHz suffixed SSID. Changing the channel width forcing to 24/40 was not needed or changed anything.

Out of curiosity I put back the Band Steering option. It gave me two of the same SSIDs on the DAP's site survey one on Channel 3 (2.4GHz on modem) and another on Channel 36 (5GHz on modem) and the DAP auto-connected to Channel 36.

To up the ante I also put PMF back on both channels. DAP still connects to the modem perfectly at 5GHz even after rebooting both devices (just in case there were some caching issues).

The Telstra modem had to switch itself to the a 5GHz DFS channel. It is still a mystery how and why but  but who cares Smiley Happy.

Smiley Happy Great outcome. Well spotted @cf4 . 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more