Level 1: Cadet

Wifi and mobile signal

Hi there, so we have had the nbn if that's what you would call it for 6 months plus now, and every single bill states no usage. That's because we never ever have wifi signals. It is there and it is so so slow and faint that even when you do use it, it drops put 400 times a minute. Most of the time we all turn the Wi-Fi off and use hotspot. Telstra has refused to send us signal boosters for the modem insisting there is no problem, despite me paying $75 a month for literally less than 1 gb usage of internet. The mobile 4g signals also in our area are attrpucious you can not even speak on the phone it cuts out every 15 seconds. What can I do to get telstra to fix this issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Wifi and mobile signal

What model modem do you have and what is its firmware version? If you have a Gen 2 modem the firmware is displayed on the LHS of modem's log in page (http://192.168.0.1)

Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Wifi and mobile signal

Hi - as a matter of interest, what type of NBN service does your subscription cover? Are you referring actually to Wi-Fi coverage in your home or NBN Fixed Wireless dropping out regularly? If Mobile 4G phone coverage is marginal in your area and you have a modern smart phone that supports Wi-Fi Calling, once your Internet service becomes stable, it is possible for you to make and receive voice calls on the phone  via the NBN network when you are in home.

Telstra NBN services have a generous 500 GB or unlimited data download allowances, so may be a glitch in recording usage - they stopped showing consumption on my cable service before I migrated to NBN, even though I had at that stage something like a 200 GB a month allowance.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more