YZStorm
Level 2: Rookie

Wifi connection limited

We have a smart modem, once the WIFI is turned on on the devices that we want to use the internet on the WIFI name/ID doesn't come up to choose. And we have had really low signal on our phone with the WIFI as well. 

I have reset the modem, unplugged it and even had a tv stand right next to it to pick up the signal but still wont come up as a wifi option. 

I have done the troubleshoot on the telstra website which says is working fine but still i can not connect my Smart TV's to the wifi. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Wifi connection limited

What make/model of Telstra Modem do you have?

There are some things you can try in the modem settings.. log into it using a browser and 192.168.0.1 as the address..  when the modem page comes up, the username admin and password of Telstra (those are the defaults for a Smart Modem 2)will allow you to log in..

Once you are logged in, go to the Advance Screen and on the Wi-Fi page there are some things to try''

1. Turn off Band Steering by unchecking it then saving..  that will give you two Wi-Fi networks. one being 2.4GHz with the usual name and password, the other is 5G  and will ha=ve the same name but with -5G tacked on the end.. (password is still the same). once saved, try connecting to Wi-Fi..  if you can't see the two Wi-Fi networks then your modem might be faulty (it is usually the 2.4 GHz band that fails - only solution is to get a replacement modem)..

If you can see both 2.4 and 5 GHz wi-fi networks but still can't connect..  go back to the Wi-Fi page in the modem and turn of Protect Mode Frames or PMF. Again, make sure you save and then try to reconnect again.

Drop back here and let us know how you got on?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
YZStorm

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. I have done all what you have suggested. I did not get any one of the two WIFI names anywhere. So i think it must be my modem then... 

None of my devices is picking up the wifi, only our mobile phones and our apple tv. Nothing else... 

SteveW_52

The ones that are working are probably on 5GHz, but unfortunately older devices tend to be 2.4Ghz and it sounds like that has failed. I'd guess your modem is a Technicolor DJA0231..  you'll need to lodge a fault and get a replacement unit

or you could get one through an online service like Gumtree, FB Marketplace or eBay..  they are readily available so quite cheap...  ret for a new one if you can - you may need to swap the 4G SIM over but that's not hard - try the new one before you bother with all that, without having to deal with Telstra support..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
YZStorm

we have a telstra smart modem Gen 2with voice backup. Model number : DJA0231

YZStorm

Our modem is only one year old. i am busy talking to Telstra about what we can do to mend the problem. Hopefully they can just send me a new one so it can work haha

SteveW_52

I guessed you might have..  it's a fairly common fault reported here in CrowdSupport..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

In the meantime, you can run a few cables between the devices and the router to get them working?? If you need more port a small unmanaged gigabit switch can do that - avoid the real cheap ones though..  

Stevo 52
YZStorm

That is what we are thinking. It is a pain tho... 

do have an idea what i should do to get the process going to get a new modem? 

YZStorm

Do you know what their outcome was dealing with Telstra?? 

SteveW_52

In most cases the modem was replaced I believe...

Stevo 52
YZStorm

Thanks again for your help. 

SteveW_52

Use the My Telstra app, open it, log in, go to the Get Help tab, click on the blue chat icon..  Codi will ask some questions but you can bypass that by typing 'Consultant' or 'Speak to a consultant' - click on the 3 dots at the top right and send the message marked as urgent..  it might take a while, but you will be contacted back by message - it could take a few hour..  as long as you stall logged in and have Notifications activated, you can close the app and do other things until you get notified of the message - you will then be in a chat with some..

Good luck..  Codi can be a bit tiresome, so keep messages short and simple..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

That's what CrowdSupport is for - we are users just like you..  but there is a lot of accumulated knowledge here..

Stevo 52
YZStorm

Awesome, now i know where to get all my details from when i am struggling. Thanks. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more