morthernangler
Level 2: Rookie

wifi from new modem

I am having trouble with my Latest modem.

Telstra gen with voice backup (a sim card). The wifi is extremely weak most of the time. I could once get wifi in my shed now it barely gets to the back door of my home. My television is only about 8 metres from the modem and the wifi signal often drops out due to low signal strength. Make viewing on line programmes very haphazard. The modem is about a metre off the ground.

Is there any way I can get it to work as well as previous modems. I have been with Telstra dial up, adsl, nbn, since day 1.

I worked as a technician in Telstra for 40 years through several different company names.

There are devices that extend wifi however I would prefer a telstra provided device that will work well with the modem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: wifi from new modem

You might have a modem with faulty WiFi. On both models of the Gen 2 modem have good WiFi coverage but both of the models can have faulty WiFi.

With the DJA0231 when WiFi is faulty the 2.4 GHz WiFi stops transmitting. The faulty LH1000 models usualy have a very weak 2.4 GHz WiFi signal. Suggest you install a WiFi app on a PC or Android device and measure the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal level close to modem. If below -30 db or non existant then the modem's WiFi is faulty.

Dowser
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Have you done a speed test on a computer connected via Ethernet?. You can do this at https://speedtest.telstra.com/

This will tell you the download and upload speeds of the NBN connection.

morthernangler

Not a speed problem. it is a signal strength problem.

morthernangler

It is a DJA0231 model modem si I guess I am stuck with it. I installed a wifi app and so far it only show speed. Wrong app so I will try again. (Iphone not android.)

Signal strength is a bit hard to use. It seems to vary from one extreme to another.

I am sure it is the modem that is crook. I may try for a wifi extender/booster of some sort. Certainly mot as good as the older modem I had. No problems at all then.

cf4

There are no WiFi analyzer apps for the iPhone. Another way you can check if the 2.4 GHz WiFi is working is to disable band steering in the modem. This will add -5G to the name of modem's 5 GHz WiFi signal. If you can now only see a ignal from the modem with -5G added to its name then the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and Telstra should replace the modem.

To disable band steering open a web browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra. Go to WiFi and in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings remove tick next to Band steering then save settings.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more