olram
Level 2: Rookie

WiFi issue with Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2.

I think my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 has WiFi issue and needs replacing.

I had this modem for a week now with WiFi dropping in & out intermittently. Yesterday the modem SSID was not showing up at all. I connected my laptop via ethernet port, logged in to the modem gateway and saw a warning that WiFi was disabled. After enabling WiFi, the SSID was showing up but I could not connect to it. Also, the laptop connected via ethernet port was having very slow response. It took quite a while to log in to modem gateway and after disabling WiFi, the laptop response was restored to normal.

Today, I tried to fix again by pushing the WiFi button at the back of the modem. After it turned green, the laptop connected to the ethernet port lost internet connection and there was no WiFi connection as well. After disabling WiFi via the WiFi button, the laptop WiFi connection was restored.

Does anyone else has this same issue ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Sue19591

Re: WiFi issue with Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2.

Yes I'm having issues as well, started about 4 days ago.Can't connect via WiFi to TV or Printer, WiFi adapter on computer won't connect and WiFi is not recognized in Internet connections, have tried everything that google has thrown at me to repair and still no success. I've done uninstalls - resets - restarts - Recovery and restore points to earlier dates - pinged and command prompts you name it and I have done it. Still no joy, spent so many hours on it now. My modem I got in Nov 19 so it is not that old, was working fine up till 4 days ago. I'm thinking may have to get a Mobile IT person in to have a look, but this issue seems to point to DUD Modem. Please help. Going out of mind trying to repapir.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Do any devices connect to the WiFi? Is the WiFi SSID appear in the list of available WiFi networks on the devices that can't connect? There has been a few cases were some modems stop transmitting WiFi on the 2.4 GHz band and devices that only support 2.4 GHz WiFi will no longer see the WiFi SSID. This seems to occur more often on the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 modem. Which version of the modem do you have? See image below for difference between the two.

Sue19591

Yes Technicolor DJA0231 I have and no the SSID is not appearing, click on the Adapter in computer as says needs to connect and doesn't show or connect from there either.

cf4

Is WiFi light on back off modem green? Do any off your WiFi devices connect? 

Sue19591

Yes it is green only devices connecting are mobile phone's.

Samsung Smart TV wont'connect and doesn't recognize the WiFi SSid - Printer the same. 

cf4

Could you log into the modem http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra and go to Advanced > Devices. There is list off all connected devices and how they are connected. If they are all connected to the 5GHz WiFi then the 2.4 GHz WiFi band is faulty and modem should be replaced.

Sue19591

Yes all that are connected are on the 5 GHz WiFi and NO 2.4 GHz connected. Thanks for your help, now I suppose will have to wait on phone for ages to ask for new Modem grrrr and then they will probably want to know the ins and outs of everything.

Sue19591

Just tried to phone and that went terrible due to no option on phone to take query due to Corvid 19 - grrrr. If i go and buy a new router from a retail store what would you suggest Brand etc wise.

cf4

If I was buying a new modem I would buy a TP link. I have used TP link in the past with no problems and they are good value.

I would try phoning Telstra again there should be an option for reporting a fault.

olram

I have the white smart modem gen 2 which was sent to me last Feb 2020.

I found that if the WiFi button at the back of the modem is green, internet connection via ethernet port and WiFi connection are both not working. If WiFi is switched off, internet connection via ethernet port is restored. There is definitely WiFi issue with this modem.

To have WiFi available from this modem, I have a Vonets WiFi repeater device which I bought from eBay last year for use in my Foxtel IQ box (which does not have WiFi) to download free movies from Foxtel store. I reconfigured the device to the new modem and connected it to the ethernet port so I have WiFi now around the house. This is a temporary solution until I get a new modem as WiFi speed is quite slow. As you mentioned, it is very hard to get to talk to tech support these days due to COVID19.

Hope this helps.

cf4

There might be a WiFi device in your premises that is not compatible with the modem. Have you tried turning of all WiFi devices including the Vonets WiFi repeater before turning WiFi on on the modem and then gradually turning your WiFi devices on.

olram

All our devices (laptop, repeater, mobile phones) are compatible with the modem. The modem itself is running both 2.4GHz & 5GHz radio signals and band steering is ON (Band steering actively guides the client to the most suitable Wi-Fi band, by detecting the client's capabilities and monitoring the interfaces). 

As I was saying before, there was no WiFi issue with this modem for a week and then suddenly WiFi got turned off. Fortunately, internet connection via ethernet ports are not affected.

Sue19591

Well all my issues have gone as I bought new Modem yesterday and installed and now have WiFi back for TV, Printer and Doorbell Camera etc. (2.4 GHz Fault in Telstra Gen 2 Modem)

. This is the second Modem of Telstra that has failed me in the past 4 years - 4 Years ago Telstra Modem was 8 months old and got issues - Bought a DLink Modem and fixed worked till we joined NBN and had to get a Telstra Compatible Modem for NBN received NOV 19 and 6 months later got issues. Bought a new Dlink DSL 2888A yesterday at Harvey Norman $279 worth every penny no more issues. Never will I be getting anymore of the Inferior Telstra Modem's. 

olram

Well done Sue19591 on fixing your WiFi issue.

To cf4, I noticed you are appearing in lots of threads about Telstra smart modem so it made me think that you are working for Telstra. Don't you really think there is some problem with Telstra smart modems as I have read plenty of complaints about the WiFi issue ? Today I configured my old Telstra Gateway Max modem to 192.168.0.2 (Telstra smart modem Gen 2 is 192.168.0.1) and after connecting the two modems by LAN, I am getting very good WiFi connection from the Gateway Max modem.

cf4

I am not an current employ of Telstra. I was employed by Telstra until 2000.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the smart modems WiFi. There are a few cases were the modem is not compatible with some devices. There is also a problem with some of the Technicolor modems developing faults with the 2.4 GHz WiFi.

There are plenty off post complaining about the WiFi but there are a lot of these modems in use. People only post when there is a problem.

If you look at Whirploo you will find there are post complaing about other Brands of modem.

I have been using these modems for over two years and apart from one developing a fault on the 2.4 GHz WiFi have not experienced any WiFi issues.

olram

Thanks cf4 for your most recent post.

I currently have the white smart modem (Gen 2) which I think is Telstra's latest. Tonight I will disable the 2.4GHz WiFi to see if it will fix the issue. Hopefully turning WiFi on will not cut off the internet connection via the ethernet port.

Cheers.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Yes, I am in agreement with cf4 in regards to the number of 2.4 Ghz problems as to the comparatively small percentage of modems in the field that operate without connection issues. I have done recent research into this topic and was surprised to learn about this issue. The URLs are somewhat dated and how the industry has responded to the problems varies based on the price vs quality balance of the product

If you have any devices located near to the modem that are using USB3.0, USB-C or Thunderbolt interfaces in active communication with your PC e.g. USB powered Hub, a USB 3 printer or if devices are directly connected to the modem's USB3.0 port e.g. printer or Media Server HDD, there may be a possibility that the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi band is getting interference from these devices. Also if you have a budget USB cable that is not heavily shielded, it may also contribute to interference.  

USB3.0/3.1/3.2 and Thunderbolt communications operates at speeds from 5Gbps to 40 Gbps, using Encrypted data that utilises spread spectrum technology operating at 2.4Ghz frequency from its port to destination. Both ends need to have a shielding design implemented on their interfaces to minimise any potential interference to the Wi-Fi's 2.4 Ghz band. The baseband noise emitted from the USB3.0 device introduces a high noise floor which compromises the Signal to Noise Ratio thereby limiting the sensitivity of the modem's Wi-Fi receiver.  

Looking inside the Arcadyan modem, the USB has a shield cover plate and extended cap on top of the complete connector - you can't see any wires that leave it to connect to the tracks on the logic board; good protection. 

The Technicolor version I had seven months ago had no protection at all on its wires leaving the USB controller, you can see them exposed and where they go onto the logic board's tracks; non existent shielding. Inside there are three 2.4Ghz antennae receiving and transmitting. Maybe they are getting hammered when any USB 3.0 and higher devices are in use. 

I am not sure if we are seeing more problems with the Technicolor vs Arcadyan. If you have any of these devices, experiment by moving them away from the modem or consider turning them off when not in use to see if improvement occurs or use USB 2.0 if an available option. If this does not apply to  your setup, its good to know in case you are helping friends or family.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interfe...

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/wireless-witch-the-truth-about-usb-30-and-wi-fi-interference

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more