Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Wifi Issues - Intermittent Connection and No internet

Hi All...

Similar to a bunch of issues I have found on here. 

Telstra T-Gateway Modem that seems to have having intermittent WiFi connectivity issues. Located it Hobart Tas sounds pretty similar to the issues being had in Qld though that have popped up a bit here

I can connect Laptop,  Media Player, Network HDD and Smart TV via cables but Wirelessly on Samsung Phone and Tablet and Laptop WITHOUT cable there is either "No internet Connection" on the wireless icon in the System Bar on the laptop and "No Connection" messages on the Tablet and Phone - I cannot even access the Modem Admin panel - makes me think it is something WiFi related. I have a pair T-Voice 502 Wireless phones and they are functioning fine, and interestingly the kids Ipod 5's are too. I can sometimes get connections for up to 5 mins - normally after a rebot of the laptop or phone, but it will then just drop out.  If I do have the chance to do a speed test while I have a connection my DL speeds are REALLY Slow... I have 100M plan, wireless best I can do down IF it stays up long enough is 3-4M, UP I can get high teens. With the cable connected to the laptop I can get 90+ down most of the time, slows a bit occasionally. 

I have also had a period where the Telstra Air and FON signals were gone - that lasted a day? didn't really notice when they came and went exactly. 

I have rebooted everything multiple times, all lights seem to be doing what they are supposed to. 

Issue started out of the blue, no changes, device additions or the likes occured at the time. 

I am going to guess this is a firmware update issue??  maybe 5 vs 2.4GHz Wireless?? I haven't looked at what all the devices connect via - I have seen a couple of posts around that. 

Any assistance appreciated! Getting pretty frustrated at having to use my Phone data up at home.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Wifi Issues - Intermittent Connection and No internet

Just a thought,

I had a wireless issue where my mobile would connect via wireless but my old laptop would not.

So I went into my Gateway/modem (10.0.0.138 in my browser) and found 5Ghz was enabled but 2.4Ghz was not. I enabled it and the problem was solved. 

Apparently my laptop wireless card was an old version and couldn't connect to 5Ghz but could connect to 2.4Ghz.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Highlighted

Thanks for the tip...

Just looking at the Gateway page... I have a Tab for 2.4 and then one "Guest" (going to assume that is Telstra Air??) I am going to guess that that means I don't have 5G?

Have also confirmed that the Ipods use 2.4 - they are connecting and have Net Access

The home page shows all the wifi divices as connected - there is just no internet connectivity available on the Laptop or Phone or tablet after about 5 mins of connection.

I have tried "Forgetting" the Connection on the devices - no joy

I have also just been seeing what else is "broken"...

I have an app that allows me to browse my Network HDD and play music to an DLNA device - I cannot see the HDD OR any DLNA devices in that APP - ie I don't have any home network connectivity either. Seems to be I can CONNECT to the Wifi but the WiFi is disconnected from everything?

Just a few more details from the gateway page if its of any use to anyone

2.4G Wi-Fi Name: TelstraBAXXXX
2.4G Wi-Fi Key: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
2.4G Wi-Fi Status: On
2.4G Wi-Fi Link Speed: 130 Mbps

Product Vendor
Technicolor
Product Name
Technicolor TG797n v3
Software Version
Firmware Version
15.53.6469-510-RA

Cheers
Rod

Level 20: Director

Rod,

when you say phone are you talking about a mobile?

If so when you go into wifi settings in the phone it will show you what channels are available.

Highlighted

yeah Mobile Phone - Galaxy S7 Also same with Galaxy Tablet.

Have been reading on few issues with the s7 similar issues - tried a bunch of those fixes too (everything from disabling bluetooth, reseting caches etc - no luck) , but doesn't explain laptop or tablet issues. Could be related though I suspect.

Cheers

Rod

Highlighted

OK... in a further twist...

Dug out an OLD modem, still the same model - I just got sent an extra one. Fired up same issue, all same, Tablet, Mobile and Laptop all wont connect on WiFi for more than 2 mins.

Going mildly insane now...

Highlighted

Just an update fo anyone who is suffering similar.

I don't believe this issue is resloved but I have sort of go things to a state that they are working - most of the time.

These are ALL suggestions I followed based on little bits an pieces I picked up in various post around the place

Factory Reset Modem

Then selected to  manually select the channel - I read somewhere that fixing the channel could help, particularly channel 11 - NO idea why. I did also read somewhere that if it autoranged to channel 13 some devices designed for the Australian market would not work properly - fact/fiction - I have no idea.

On each device I forgot my wireless connection.

I added each wireless device one at a time.

End result - the laptop STILL wont connect.

The mobile seems happy MOST of the time

Tablet - can be a bit flakely.

I can now see all the other network devices from all devices.

Would still love to hear any suggestions!

Cheers

Rod

Highlighted

Continues to be an issue, the stability I had seems to have evaporated, it's pot luck now, even things connected by cable have become flakey, my Network harddrive is nearly permanently unavailble now.

I can get stuff back for a short period by restarting stuff but it doesn't stay connected very long. 

I also have the situation now where in the modem Advance >  Connections  view now that displays current connections, I can have things attached and working but they aren't showing as attached, either just not in the list at all or without the "Connected" green dot. 

Thinking of buying my own non Telstra Modem....

Cheers

Rod

Highlighted

Just thought I would keep this going a bit, there seems to be a heap of people experiencing the same issue.... I am now convinced it isn'y "Me", and that it isn't just my devices.

I am now pretty much convinced that this is a Telstra Issue, I think most likely modem related. 

Over the weekendI had  a whole day where everything (except the network hard drive - that's not accessable at all now) was actually connecting and doing what it was supposed to be, was short lived though. I still have issues that devices will connect to the WIFI but wont have any internet connectivity, or will for brief periods. The only way I notice is when for example I get  an hours worth of notifications from apps on my phone in a 2 minute burst when it briefly has a connection.

Can ANYONE give me any hints on what's going on here? Are Telstra pushing updates to Modems? Are the modems dead/dying? Is it a Network thing?? Is it security related??

I am getting pretty frustrated with this one,  had intended on a new modem on the weekend but ran out of time, and when things were all working I though it might have resolved. 

Cheers

Rod

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, 

We had the same modem as you and our internt seemed to be working but the wifi kept dropping out.

After spending a lot of tme on the line talking to tech support and being excalated to level 3. We were sent Telstra newer modem Telstra Max or similar all for free. This has fixed our wifi issue. Although ever since the big telstra outage a couple of months ago our actual internet keeps dropping out which is frustrating, we have been told that there are works happening at our exchange will will be happening for several days and we will be compensated for this. So fingers crossed for you and me. 

I have found the support people to be very helpful even when I am grumpy.

Highlighted

So... just as a follow up - after a very LONG amount of time (one 2 hour plus call as we went through every fix I had already tried - reboot everything, factory reset, change Wifi channel, forget connections on devices etc etc) on the phone to tech support, and having to try and convince them that no, you don't need to send a technician to check the cabling, the internet connection is FINE while I am connected to the device via a cable, and they NO it's not just an issue of speed, and that is ISN'T just an outage at the exchange.... and a host of other scenarios that equally no sense.... They are sending a new modem.... will see what happens when that arrives in a few days. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Just installed a Gateway Max modem that I got with new bundle 6 weeks ago. Randomly shuts down every hour or so. Shuts down if I try to access anything on iPad or laptop. I have cable connection. Spent about 3 hours on the phone to tech support without resolution. Have Telstra tech coming Monday so hopefully he can resolve. From what I read on this forum this issue dates back some way and still not resolved
Highlighted

Well... perhaps somewhat unsurprisingly - no modem yet - nearly 4 weeks and a couple of calls later... not to impressed. 

Debrob - did your issue get resolved by the Tech?

Cheers

Rod

Highlighted

OK... further and probably final update....

The new Modem Arrived today... finally!!!

Plugged it all in and enjoyed a whole 5-6 mins of EVERYTHING working as it should.... then.... the modem rebooted automatically - and when it came back up I was back to exactly where I was with the old one.

So... my guess instantly was it was a Firmware upgrade issue....

After FOUR hours on the phone FINALLY getting referred to platinum support (after being told by one consultant there was nothing more he could do, I was on my own)  - on the basis if they didn't fix it, I didn't pay....( I was pretty confident I was,'t going to be paying) The platinum guy decided "Firmware upgrade incompatibility" was the solution, and said we will send you a new modem Smiley Mad - and bumped me back to NBN who after having to go through the WHOLE story again said, "yeah, we,ll send you a new modem BUT the new 799"  Have just been poking around here at some of the not so favorable comments about that device too, seems it is known ro suffer pretty much the same issues!!.... not so hopeful on a result - but we will see!

Cheers

Rod

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more