Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

wifi modem network lock code

Answered

I just bought a usb wifi modem and I tried to run the setup on the m.home website and the password did not work and now I am locked out. It is asking for a network lock code which I need to obtain from Telstra. What is the code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: wifi modem network lock code

16 digits? that has to be something to do with the SIM ID number..

At least you have the PUK if it all goes pear shaped..  something has changed in that setup since I last used it then - 16 digits..  hmmm  SIM ID's are only 13.. is there anything on the packaging or carrier card for the SIM that is 16 digits long?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

Can you recall what the message said - was it from your new device, or from the SIM?

An unlock code (PUK) is for the device itself but sometimes SIM's have a lock code as well, so it is important to know which one it was.

Is it a Telstra pre paid or post paid device and does the SIM/Number appear in you list of services in your My Account or the My Telstra app?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

It is pre paid. It is on my list of services on My Account and telstra app. But the website it takes you to once plugged into the computer has locked me out so I cannot complete the set up or manage my settings on the m.home website

Highlighted

What sort of device is it? Does it have WI-Fi capability? Can you give the Telstra product name, or look on the device for a bit more detail as a model number - you might have to take the cover off..

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Highlighted

If you click on the service in My Account, is a PUK code displayed - probably not with pre-paid I think.  But that is for the SIM, not the device.

Did you you get any documentation with the device that showed the code you needed?

Did you buy the device online or in a store?

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Yes I can see a PUK code..but see screenshot above. I just need a network lock code because the password I tried from the documentation inside the device did not work. I bought it in store today.

Highlighted

I need a 16 digit code to unlock the device now

Highlighted

Thanks for the snapshot, that helps..

OK, that is a SIM lock code..  unless something is set differently or things have changed recently, if I remember correctly, it is the last 4 digits of the number of the SIM card itself. That is printed on the SIM card (or on the outer card that the SIM is packaged in)  as 13 digits and one alpha..  or I also seem to recall  4 zeros can work in some cases..

Be careful here, you have 10 goes at getting it right, then the device gets locked down harder!

Did you get the SIM and the Device at the same time?

I am a bit puzzled with this situation, but then I don't use prepaid much nor angle single user USB devices (mine are all wi-fi enabled) so I haven't seen the m.home webpage for quite a while now..

Stevo 52
Highlighted

I tried typing in the SIM card number but the lock code needs 16 digits...

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

16 digits? that has to be something to do with the SIM ID number..

At least you have the PUK if it all goes pear shaped..  something has changed in that setup since I last used it then - 16 digits..  hmmm  SIM ID's are only 13.. is there anything on the packaging or carrier card for the SIM that is 16 digits long?

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Highlighted

It was the S/N number on the box...thanks for your help!

Highlighted

I have looked at all the SIM card packaging I have, nothing is 16 digits..  IMEI numbers are 15 digits so probably not that..  It could it be a 'recharge' code maybe, if the SIM is prepaid? Was there anything printed on the receipt/invoice that would fit the length code?

You might have to sit an wait to see if someone here can help you further, but I can't figure out where that comes from.. that requirement doesn't ring any bells for me at all.. so I am stumped on this one, you will need to take it up with Telstra..

While you could try using the My Telstra app chat service, I am thinking that your issue might be beyond them..  so your best bet might be another trip to the store, with your invoice/receipt and the device in hand so they can sort it out for you?

Stevo 52
Highlighted

On the box for the USB dongle? how odd to use that!

Stevo 52
Highlighted

It was the S/N number on the box of the device...thanks for your help!

Highlighted

All good that the issue is fixed for you then..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more