Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Wifi sharing

Answered

So Telstra's answer for our wifi dropouts is to have no more than 5 devices attached to our smartmodem at any one time.  But we dont seem to be able to have more than two before the TelstraTV stops.  Is this normal?  They continually say to reboot the TelstraTV but that seems to be a stop gap solution.  Any advice?  I've asked for a new modem but they insist we have to reduce the number of devices connected.  It just doesnt seem right to me.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi sharing

The number of devices you can connect to the modem without resulting in the TV buffering depends on the speed of your connection and what the other devices are doing (Streaming media, downloading/uploading files or just browsing the web).

If the other devices are just browsing the web and the speed of your connection is above 10 Mbps you should be able to connect more than five device.

If the speed of the connection is above 50 Mbps you should be able to stream video on 5 or more devices connected to modem.

Another factor is distance from the modem if the modem is located over 10 meters from the WiFi device the number of devices you can stream video to without buffering is reduced.

What is the speed of your internet connection?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you are only getting 2Mbps down and 3.5 MBS up there is something wrong. What is the model number of the modem (there is a label on bottom or side of modem with model no, some examples are LH1000 and DJA0231) and what type of connection do you have (FTTN, FTTC, NBN HFC , NBN Fixed wireless or Telstra cable)?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The number of devices you can connect to the modem without resulting in the TV buffering depends on the speed of your connection and what the other devices are doing (Streaming media, downloading/uploading files or just browsing the web).

If the other devices are just browsing the web and the speed of your connection is above 10 Mbps you should be able to connect more than five device.

If the speed of the connection is above 50 Mbps you should be able to stream video on 5 or more devices connected to modem.

Another factor is distance from the modem if the modem is located over 10 meters from the WiFi device the number of devices you can stream video to without buffering is reduced.

What is the speed of your internet connection?

Highlighted

This is our problem.  Our download averages about 2mb and upload about 3.5mb.  Depending on the time of day it can sometimes be higher but its rare. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you are only getting 2Mbps down and 3.5 MBS up there is something wrong. What is the model number of the modem (there is a label on bottom or side of modem with model no, some examples are LH1000 and DJA0231) and what type of connection do you have (FTTN, FTTC, NBN HFC , NBN Fixed wireless or Telstra cable)?

Highlighted

Its a F@st 5355 model and we only have telstra cabling.  No choices in rural nsw. I believe NBN cables got to the corner.  We're five houses down  the block.

Highlighted

Could you post the modem's Line stats.

To access the modem's line stats open a web browser and go to http:/10.0.0.138 password is admin. Once logged into modem go to Advanced, then go to Gateway settings > Devices > Info. Scroll down to the bottom you will see link speed and maximum link speed. These will indicate what speed your link is capable off.

Highlighted

Sorry for sounding stupid, but do you mean the Bitrate?  On the enabled 2.4GHz its 300mbps and on the 5.0 GHz its 800mbps   Ethernet WAN bitrate is AUTO

Highlighted

Below is an example.

Highlighted

My screen looks different.  In Gateway Settings I only get

Device Info

Network

WiFi

Telephone 

Ethernet WAN

Highlighted

I incorrectly assumed you had Telstra ADSL because I thought Telstra cable wasn't available in rural areas. There could be a line fault in street cabling. Could you post the line stats of the cable adapter.These will give an indication if there is a fault.

To view the line stats open a web browser and go to http://192.168.100.1 (Username/password: admin/password).

Go to  Broadband Connection > Connection Settings.

You're looking for Frequencies, Power Levels, SNR, etc

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more