Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Wireless internet drops out/signs out during A thunderstorm

Answered

Everytime there's a Thunderstorm at the first sign of lightning or thunder my wireless internet connection immediate drops out until the storm is over. sometimes my connection will drop out 10-20 seconds before I even here the Thunder. This is incredibly frustrating as no one else I know of in my complex has this problem during storms, only my house. this has been going on for about 2 years ever since our complex got NBN. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Wireless internet drops out/signs out during A thunderstorm

If it's only your service in the complex that is having a problem, then it sounds like a line fault (ie there is a bare piece of cable somewhere between your house and the Node). That would explain why it cuts out before you hear the thunder. The lighting strikes ground 3 to 6 km away (10-20 second delay to the thunder), causing a current to trip your service most likely through a uninsulated joint or worn cable.

It would require a visit from an NBN Co Technician (call 1800 834 273), but it will be difficult to get them to attend as it is not a fault that their remote testing would find.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

It sounds like there is interference being introduced. You may need to put in a filter on both your power supply and the connection to your modem.

What type of NBN Connection do you have? FTTP, FTTB, FTTN, FW, HFC?

If you're not sure, how is your modem connected to the internet? Is it plugged in using a phone cable (in to a phone socket) or an ethernet cable (in to an NBN NTD)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

The Modem is plugged into a filter which is plugged into a phone wall socket. and the power is plugged into a different wall socket. we've had Multiple people from Telstra say everything was fine only for it to shut off during the next storm.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If it's only your service in the complex that is having a problem, then it sounds like a line fault (ie there is a bare piece of cable somewhere between your house and the Node). That would explain why it cuts out before you hear the thunder. The lighting strikes ground 3 to 6 km away (10-20 second delay to the thunder), causing a current to trip your service most likely through a uninsulated joint or worn cable.

It would require a visit from an NBN Co Technician (call 1800 834 273), but it will be difficult to get them to attend as it is not a fault that their remote testing would find.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sounds good I'll get onto them about that thanks for your help

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

It would be wise to get a good power board with a surge  "trip" cut out.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more