Level 1: Cadet

Wireless internet

I am sick 2 death with Telstra. I’m paying for nbn and home phone. My current download speed goes from, according to my Netflix speed testing.0002Kbps to 2Mbps nightly.

I have sent the Tele Ombudsman a formal complaint via email as telsta can’t/won’t/ respond to me.

i have complained about this b4.

this system of not being able to speak to a real person in a timely fashion is just not good enough. The app the messaging the waiting for them to get back when their ready...enough!!!

im paying for a product and a service that I’m not receiving in return. ACCC is on my list of things to do as well as Redît Facebook Twitter and any other platform that’s available.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Wireless internet

Now that you have lodged a complaint with the TIO, you will need to let that process play out as there are formal procedures that have to be followed as part of that. The ACCC does not have jurisdiction, that is the TIO's area.

As far as the other platforms, knock yourself out. It won't do much.

What type of NBN connection are you on, and which model modem do you have?

If you use speedtest.net what speeds do you see there? Is it the similar to the Netflix report?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - I can feel the frustration in your words. Some questions which may assist you with dealing the authorities.

1. Is your NBN service provided by a Fixed Wireless or a landline wired connection.

2. If landline, do you have a NBN modem in addition to the Telstra modem? What are the model numbers?

3. When speed degradation occurs, what is the colour of the Telstra Gen 2 Modem front panel LED - Blue (4G BackUp) or Green (Normal) ; if Gen 1.1 Modem - on top face - what is colour of Backup LED. 

4. When you connect a PC directly to the Telstra modem LAN port, what is the speed result using speedtest.net. Netflix own fast.com which operates their own speed test on Netflix Content Servers and a TV depending on how it is connected may give you differing results. The Windows or Apple speedtest.net App or web site allows you to select a test server near to you. Apps give you the best result. If you have an additional NBN modem, remove the Telstra modem from it and then directly connect to it with your PC and repeat the speedtest.net test through it.  

5. How is your TV or viewing device connected to the modem - LAN cable, Power over Ethernet Adaptor, WiFi direct to modem or via a Repeater or Booster - 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz - how far away from the modem is it?

6. Do quoted speeds occur during the day or peak load night time periods only.

7. Is the NBN and Telstra equipment well ventilated - at night, when you place your hand on it, is lukewarm or uncomfortable to leave your hand on it for 30 seconds i.e. over 40 degrees.   

Level 1: Cadet

Hi I have a fixed wireless setup as I’m on a regional property. Today it was around 30mbps so Telstra are as confused as I am.

It sounds like a congestion issue on the NBN Tower (the big giveaway is that it happens regularly around the same peak period). There isn't anything that Telstra can do about it directly as it will require NBN Co to upgrade the backhaul from the tower to the rest of the network (which can take a long time, as it usually involves equipment upgrades).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more