MVP2
Level 1: Cadet

WOL from WAN on Arcadyan LH1000 - Smart Modem Gen 2

Answered

I've followed the advice in the now-archived article: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/wake-on-lan-not-working-from-wan-arcadyan-lh1..., but cannot make any progress in getting WOL to work from WAN using my Gen 2 modem. Is it possible to do this?

I have two WOL devices I am attempting to wake, both of which work fine locally, but do not work remotely. I am forwarding UDP 9 to 192.168.0.255 in the router's Port Forwarding settings. I have tried sending the magic packet MAC address for each device (which both over LAN) to both the direct IP address, as well as the address from my DynDNS provider, which I can also successfully ping externally. It seems the router just will not forward the port to the broadcast address. What am I doing wrong?

Router firmware is 0.12.15r.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: WOL from WAN on Arcadyan LH1000 - Smart Modem Gen 2

It appears that method is no longer working.

As a work around you could assign each of your devices a static LAN address. (Go to Advanced > Local Network > Static Leases)

Set up a port forwarding rule fpr each device (Go to Advanced > Firewall > Port forwarding). One device with the LAN and WAN UDP ports set to 9. The other devices with LAN port set to UDP port 9 but WAN port set to UDP port 10.

The first device can be waken remotely by using port 9. The second device by using port 10

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Accepted Solution

It appears that method is no longer working.

As a work around you could assign each of your devices a static LAN address. (Go to Advanced > Local Network > Static Leases)

Set up a port forwarding rule fpr each device (Go to Advanced > Firewall > Port forwarding). One device with the LAN and WAN UDP ports set to 9. The other devices with LAN port set to UDP port 9 but WAN port set to UDP port 10.

The first device can be waken remotely by using port 9. The second device by using port 10

View solution in original post

MVP2

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realise that I could forward directly to the IP addresses. It's working now -- this will get the job done.

It's a shame the hardware appears to not support forwarding to the broadcast address though. Would be great if this can be patched into the firmware some day in the future, if anyone from Telstra is reading..

MVP2

The router apparently doesn't let me add multiple rules with the same number of the LAN port though, so I can't get the second device to work. Oh well.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more