Derek123
Level 1: Cadet

WPA2 password not working

The WPA2 password on our Netgear Telstra Gateway Pro modem is no longer working.

The network appears in the list of Wi-Fi options to connect to, ostensibly with full signal, but can't connect to it, at either of the 2.4GHz or 5GHz levels.

We have reset the router multiple times, but it continues to insist, across multiple devices using differing OSs, that the WPA2 password is suddenly incorrect. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: WPA2 password not working

A full factory reset should reset the password to its original form.

Derek123

We've done the reset multiple times (pushing the reset button for 10 seconds with the tip of a pen) with the same result. And the password hadn't been changed from its original form to begin with...

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

I had that happen on a Sagemcom modem a few months ago. It took a few days and a number of factory resets before it came good again. Never did figure out what had gone wrong with it.

***Stupid question follows - don't take it the wrong way*** did you have the modem turned on when you pushed the reset button (I only ask as some people have done it with the power off - which doesn't work)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Derek123

Hah, I have indeed had the modem on while resetting. I have however taken the option of stabbing thew reset buttons a few more times, and it seems to have given some results.. the router appears in my wi-fi options now, and I get through to this screen:

I've tried the "admin" / "telstra" option off the bottom of the modem, but other than that, I haven't got a clue about login details. We've inherited the connection/modem with the house. Would this username be tied directly to the account that is billed?

cf4

It looks like you are in the setup wizard and the modem is asking for the username and password attached to the internet account. You should be able to bypass the wizard and set up the modem manually. Try selecting the back button. If you have a NBN connection there is no need for a username or password. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more