Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Yellow Lan Cable FTTP

Hi I am moving house in a couple of weeks  to a FTTP NBN connection via Telstra Smart modem, I understand I need the Lan cable with two yellow ends which I have somehow lost. I have found an old Lan type cable which happens to be yellow but I have noticed that only 4 pins have wires connected to them, any ideas if this will work?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Yellow Lan Cable FTTP

Depending on which pins are wired it should work but if only four pins are it is a very old cable and would not meet the current cat 6 specifications. You can get LAN cables at office works and electronic stores for as little as $5.

Highlighted

I'm also assuming the Telstra Smart modem and the NBN box I have already will be plug and play at the new premises with the same Wi Fi name and password?

Highlighted

Yes it is plug and play. The modem will automatically configure to the new NBN link. You should leave your existing NBN box at your old address. There should be a new FTTP NBN box at the new premises.

Highlighted

Hi my order for NBN at my new house is stating that my connection will start on the 21st July, I really need it from 17th July when I move into the new house. I already have a Telstra Smart modem which I will take with me, so as the installation is plug and play, will it still take 4 days for the NBN connection to be live. I don't think I will need a technician visit. Thanks in advance.

Highlighted

The 4G backup on modem can be used while waiting for connection. If the FTTP equipment is already installed in the house it should only requires Telstra and NBN CO to program the connection, in theory this should only take a few days. If the FTTP equipment has not been installed it could take weeks for NBN CO to install the equipments. Even though its plug and play the NBN connection want work until it has been programmed, there might be some reason it can't be programmed until the 21st.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more