Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

ZTE M910Z Want to use it as a WIFI range extender which connects to my laptop

Answered

I have this Telstra Pre-Paid 4GX WiFi modem ZTE M910Z which I want to use it as a WIFI range extender as mentioned in the ZTE manual (link mentioned below)

I have tried to connect my ZTE device with my home Bigpond WIFI router so that I can get internet on my laptop.

*I was able to successfully connect  my ZTE device to Bigpond WIFI router .

*The laptop also connects to the ZTE device via usb cable or WIFI.

*BUT I am unable to access internet on my laptop.

Is the internet access locked if I try to connect ZTE device to my home Bigpond router? Any ideas on how I can internet on my laptop via ZTE device (which connects to home router)   Link for ZTE manual:-

(http://www.ztemobiles.com.au/downloads/User_guides/MF910_Help1.0.pdf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: ZTE M910Z Want to use it as a WIFI range extender which connects to my laptop

Some of the Telstra modems especially the latest ones use 192.168.0.xx as the LAN IP address range which is the same as the ZTE. Suggest you change the ZTE to 192.168.8.xx.

To do this go to router Settings.

Change IP Address to 192.168.8.1

Change DHCP IP Pool 192.168.8.100 - 192.168.8.200

Apply Setting.

You might have to disconnect and reconnect PC after the changes.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Re: ZTE M910Z Want to use it as a WIFI range extender which connects to my laptop

It does not look like the zte is connected correctly to the modem.

If you log into the bigpond modems does the zte appear in the list of connected devices and does it have s valid IP address.

Highlighted

@cf4 wrote:

It does not look like the zte is connected correctly to the modem-----> That is a symbol of a secure connection padlock (not an error) on the WIFI icon in the screenshot if you are concerned about that. If I look at the WIFI connection icon, it looks fine.

If you log into the bigpond modems does the zte appear in the list of connected devices and does it have s valid IP address. ------> Unfortunately I do not have admin access or password to the Bigpond router as I live in a shared place where the landlord is not staying with us. Is there a way to check the IP address obtained from the ZTE modem management page?

Highlighted

If you check the Information Tab the WAN IP address and the IP address will be displayed. The first three group off digits in those two address should not be the same. 

Example

IP Address: 192.168.0.1

WAN IP Address 10.0.0.xx OK

IP Address: 192.168.0.1

WAN IP Address 92.168.0..xx no Internet.

Highlighted

Yeah, not getting a WAN IP, it does show it is connected icon-wise.

Device Information
USIM Card Number— —
IMEI8665130302XXXX
IMSI50501351059XXX
Signal Strength-103 dBm
Wi-Fi Name (SSID)TPW4G_08B8XX Change
Max Access Number5
LAN Domainm.home
IP Address192.168.0.1
WAN IP Address— —
WAN IPv6 Address— —
Software VersionMF910Z_M02

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Some of the Telstra modems especially the latest ones use 192.168.0.xx as the LAN IP address range which is the same as the ZTE. Suggest you change the ZTE to 192.168.8.xx.

To do this go to router Settings.

Apply Setting.

You might have to disconnect and reconnect PC after the changes.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Added following router Settings.

I also disconnected and reconnected PC after the changes, rebooted ZTE device

I can now connect to ZTE modem management via http://192.168.8.1/

Tried to connect to BigPond2955 (my home WIFI router SSID), status changed to connected but in the information tab I cannot find WAN IP, same as before

Highlighted

I can get internet via ZTE ( through Bigpond WIFI router) and 4G WAN disabled, but still cannot see a WAN IP in the information TAB. It works anyway :-)  THANKS

Max Access Number5
LAN Domainm.home
IP Address192.168.8.1
WAN IP Address— —
WAN IPv6 Address— —
Highlighted

I can see WAN IP now after connecting and disconnecting usb cable of ZTE...all good now THANKS VERY MUCH :-)

Device Information

Signal Strength-99 dBm
Wi-Fi Name (SSID)TPW4G_08B8XX
Max Access Number5
LAN Domainm.home
IP Address192.168.8.1
WAN IP Address10.100.0.XX
WAN IPv6 Address— —

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Congratulations to both of you in getting this to work. That wireless bridge is a hidden gem of a feature in this Mobile Hotspot. Initially, I thought that you would be challenged to get any Wi-Fi WAN connection from the ZTE to the host with such very low Signal Strength indications. Anything less than -90 dBm is considered by some as unusable, so with results of -99 and -103, I was surprised, but that good old 2.4Ghz doesn't give up easily.

The WAN IP address from the host modem is interesting as it doesn't appear to conflict with the two identities that used on the ZTE LAN. Maybe it is an alias for the Wireless WAN? The main thing is that it works. Good diagnosis and fix cf4. 

Highlighted

"Anything less than -90 dBm is considered by some as unusable, so with results of -99 and -103, I was surprised, but that good old 2.4Ghz doesn't give up easily."-------->>>>>>Getting 33.28 MBPS on my laptop if I connect ZTE device and laptop via usb ( and ZTE connects to  BIGPOND modem via WIFI )...so I think -103dBm reading on ZTE modem doesn't seem right. My Samsung phone shows -42 to 50dBm at that exact same location. My actual problem was that my WIFI adapter on my laptop had become unstable due to dodgy driver, it was shutting down and dropping connection a lot during daytime and there is no legacy driver support from Intel or Lenovo. The ZTE device has come in handy in this scenario. 

Highlighted

I think it is fantastic that you have finished up with such a good working solution. As I go further down the road to enlightenment in matters relating to data and radio connectivity, some mysteries remain unexplained - I will add this one to my collection but will gladly refer people to your post as a 'try this' solution to their problem.

ZTE has many versions of the Telstra MF910 - their web site showed the Z model as 802.11 b/g/n 2.4Ghz only. Some other models supported the dual band 802.11ac 2.4/5Ghz - maybe the firmware is now common between models and it favours displaying the 5Ghz band of your landlord's modem. 

I must have re-read Page 29 of the V1.0 2014 User Guide in your URL,  which would trip up most people many times due to its poor translation. I came away with the conclusion that the Internet (WAN) to Wi-Fi Switch setting would not take if you were still in 4G mode as ZTE 4G auto locks in on start up, and a Restart allows the Switch Wi-Fi to activate - still in the dark on that part. 

Unfortunately, the V2.0 2017 User Guide, Page 26+27 didn't provide any more clarity.

Both versions displayed two additional entries under Internet Wi-Fi Switch that don't appear on yours possibly reflecting different firmware between versions. All the best. 

Highlighted

@Mkrtich 

The Signal strength is the stregth of the LTE signal and not the WiFi. 

Radio Signal Quality 4G/LTE (RSRP)
• -70dBm to -90dBm is a strong signal with fast data speeds. Stronger signals are possible. 
• -91dBm to -105dBm is a good signal with fast data speeds
• -106dBm to -112dBm is fair but useful and fast and reliable data speeds may be attained 
• -113dBm to -125dBm reliable data, but performance may be slower and latency increased 
• -126dBm to -136dBm performance will drop dramatically
• -136dBm to -140dBm disconnection

Highlighted

Yes, I had a bit of a challenge understanding Page 29 and not 100% on its intention. I made the assumption that once the Internet (WAN) Switch function was Enabled, then after the IP Addressing changes were SAVED and later confirmed by the ZTE reset , it then disconnected the 4G LTE WAN, made the Wireless Bridge to the Host modem and the Wi-Fi Adaptor information shown on the final post for the ZTE displayed Signal Strength dBm related to  Wi-Fi SSID name, maximum 5 users and WAN IP data. Thinking that if the 4G LTE WAN must be off for Wi-Fi Bridging, it would not need to monitor the 4G LTE signals and instead show Wi-Fi signals strength of the WAN in current use.  

I have learnt with matters relating to open source coded platforms that things are not always logical. Thank you for the reference on 4G LTE signal strength, it may come in handy one day. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more