Ride_On
Level 1: Cadet

Best way to receive sms from australia while overseas?

Answered

I'm currently overseas and need to have access to sms sent from australia for my banking accounts. If a friend purchases the $30 prepaid mobile casual sim (6 months expiry) and sends it to me

1. Am I able to simply activate it overseas?

2. Once activated will I actually receive sms from australia and how is this charged .i.e no sms charge or does it come from the 300MB data limit?

I have been told that for now prepaid plans whilst overseas receive sms etc via a WIFI connection. Is this correct? If so will the $30 plan last me 6 months of receiving sms? Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Renee
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Best way to receive sms from australia while overseas?

Hey Ride_On,

Following on from RyanH's response, the activation doesn't cost you anything. To use the service will need to be recharged; yes, you are given a data allowance.

It is worth noting that International Roaming is not available on Pre Paid services at this time as it is getting ready to be re-launched mid-2021 - which isn't that far away! 

I'm guessing this is why you were advised SMS is being received over wi-fi - which is not the case. You will be able to access wi-fi; however, you won't be able to make or receive calls or texts with your Telstra Pre-Paid service.

The only way to get around such a dilemma is to look into moving to one of our month-to-month mobile plans.

I hope this helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Renee
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hey Jupiter,

I do remember those interim options being mentioned; however, they don't appear to have stuck. So now being advised, calls and SMS will not work.

Ref: https://tel.st/yrupf

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
jayonaise
Support Team
Support Team

If you just get a local SIM while overseas and use that number to receive the SMS, you won't have to do all the extra running around getting one over from Australia.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Except most banks won't send an SMS to a foreign number. So that's not a very good suggestion.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
RyanH
Support Team
Support Team

I understand. If your bank does not send to international numbers than going Pre Paid and receiving over the WiFi is a good idea. 

That is correct, you can activate this from overseas here https://tel.st/859ck.

- Ryan

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Please post back here if the suggestions work.

By the way, do you have an Android or iPhone?.

Ride_On

Its an Android phone

Ride_On

@RyanH wrote:

I understand. If your bank does not send to international numbers than going Pre Paid and receiving over the WiFi is a good idea. 

That is correct, you can activate this from overseas here https://tel.st/859ck.

- Ryan

Yes unfortunately not all banks allow international numbers for 2FA.

Do you know if overseas activation costs anything as its on another carrier other than Telstra?

Also, can you confirm that sms are received over WIFI and how is it charged?

cheers

Renee
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hey Ride_On,

Following on from RyanH's response, the activation doesn't cost you anything. To use the service will need to be recharged; yes, you are given a data allowance.

It is worth noting that International Roaming is not available on Pre Paid services at this time as it is getting ready to be re-launched mid-2021 - which isn't that far away! 

I'm guessing this is why you were advised SMS is being received over wi-fi - which is not the case. You will be able to access wi-fi; however, you won't be able to make or receive calls or texts with your Telstra Pre-Paid service.

The only way to get around such a dilemma is to look into moving to one of our month-to-month mobile plans.

I hope this helps.

Jupiter

When it was announced the International Roaming would not be available from October 2020 to mid-2021, one of the interim solutions in the initial announcement was to use VoWiFi and SMSoWiFi.

Was that information incorrect?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Renee
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hey Jupiter,

I do remember those interim options being mentioned; however, they don't appear to have stuck. So now being advised, calls and SMS will not work.

Ref: https://tel.st/yrupf

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more