Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Getting a line connected to a new property

Answered

Hi there,

I've just moved into a newly built house and am looking to get internet connected. I contacted my service provider and they informed me that there has to be a line installed and that I would have to contact Telstra directly to have this done. I contacted the call centre who told me I need to be sign up to a Telstra plan to have a line installed. I'm wanting to stay with my current provider and have a Telstra technician install / activate a line. I'm aware of the $299 charge and am happy to pay just need to know who to contact to make this happen.

Thanks, Indigo 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Getting a line connected to a new property

Telstra Retail are only able to place an order for a new connection if it is attached to a plan. It can be a voice only plan, and you can have your internet with your current ISP, but they are unable to do it without a voice service order. (You can also disconnect it straight after it is activated however if you do it in the first three months you will also have a temporary connection fee of $100 (well $100 last I saw).

Otherwise if you were going to have a voice service with your other provider (a full voice service not a voip service), they should be able to arrange it for you though, if they aren't willing it is more to do with them.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Telstra Retail are only able to place an order for a new connection if it is attached to a plan. It can be a voice only plan, and you can have your internet with your current ISP, but they are unable to do it without a voice service order. (You can also disconnect it straight after it is activated however if you do it in the first three months you will also have a temporary connection fee of $100 (well $100 last I saw).

Otherwise if you were going to have a voice service with your other provider (a full voice service not a voip service), they should be able to arrange it for you though, if they aren't willing it is more to do with them.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

The above is correct and the 3 month charge is still $100 so all up you would be paying $399 for the line.

My guess of your current provider has referres you to Telstra as they either dont want to deal with it, or dont want to pay Telstra to complete the work through there wholesale arrangement.

If you dont want to connect services with Telstra conntact your preferred/current service provider to arrange connection. If they refuse i would probably take my business elsewhere. As they would have the arrangement with Telstra Wholesale to provide these services (same way they would use the line once installed)

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more