gcuenca
Level 1: Cadet

Help with connection issue

I moved in to a rental property located in Northmead, NSW in May of this year. I was with Optus prior to the move but Optus for some reason cannot provide any service to my new address even if it was literally 500 metres away from my previous address which I really found odd! Anyway, I checked with Telstra and they can provide a phone service to the address. When I had a look at the plans and how much they cost, I was a bit discouraged as they are quite expensive compared to the other providers sharing the Telstra infrastructure, so I had to go with TPG which is way cheaper for a Phone Line + ADSL bundle.

I signed up with TPG on the 31st of May. TPG completed their bit on the 10th of June, and got my account and phone number sorted out. Problem is, when I connected the phone to the main socket, there was no dial tone. This is when all the drama started.

I called TPG to tell them that the phone service is not active yet as I couldn't get a dial tone. They did some diagnostics on their end but wasn't able to detect where the issue lies. They then advised that they will send a technician to have a look. While waiting for the technician to come by, I did my own investigation and found the Telstra grey box on the wall outside the property. When I opened it up, I saw that the cable sticking out from the ground was not connected at all to the bunch of wires sticking out from the wall of the property. No wonder there is no dial tone!

I then got a visit from a couple of technicians who basically confirmed what I have already found. Then I got a call from TPG and they told me that there could be an issue with the 'lead-in cable' but the only way to ascertain this is to send a contractor in to have a better look. They then advised that they have requested for a lead-in cable contractor to have a look to ascertain what the real issue is and if there's work to be done, I will have to bear the cost. So I waited.

I got a text message from TPG on the 21st of June saying that they are still waiting from the lead in contractor for feedback. 2 weeks later, I got another SMS message form TPG saying exactly the same thing. So I got on the phone with TPG only to be told the same thing. At this point I was so frustrated already. At the end of it, lo and behold, it turned out that they have forwarded the request to Telstra!

I was given these details: ISGM through the number 1800 895 319 and reference Request ID 277 7243.

So I decided to follow it up myself and called the Telstra number last Monday, 10th of July. I spoke to a certain Britney and explained to her my situation but she didn't seem to find the request ID I provided, so she forwarded my call to the Faults department. I then spoke to a certain Elle who I believe is based out of a call centre from Manila as she was trying her best American twang which made the conversation so uncomfortable as I couldn't understand what she was saying most of the time. She asked for my phone number so I gave her the number TPG provided me, so obviously she wouldn't find any account! That was useless. I then got forwarded to the Residential Faults department and I spoke to a certain Roxy. She couldn't understand what I was talking about. By this time I was so frustrated I just hung up.

TPG can't do anything further as they have apparently forwarded the request to Telstra, but I can't follow it up either as I don't have an account with Telstra. I just want my phone and ADSL service up and running, and either TPG or Telstra seem to be sitting on it!

Can someone please help. I don't exactly know yet what the real issue as TPG or Telstra just couldn't give me a definitive response. I am actually contemplating calling the ACMA TIO about this as it is just unacceptable. But if it's just a matter of pulling in a new lead-in to replace the old faulty one, how do I go about doing this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
JesseS
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Help with connection issue

I do appreciate the frustration and based on what you're saying here it does sound like there is no lead-in or it has been damaged/cut for whatever reason. Do you know if there has been a line connected previously?

The ISGM number you have been provided is normally to organise a contractor (through Telstra or otherwise) to complete the lead-in/cabling work that needs to be done. However this can be complete by an AusTel licensed electrician (you can find one in the Yellow Pages.)

From here I think your best bet will be to organise this a contractor to complete/repair your line.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

gcuenca

Thanks for the prompt feedback. Finally, something that makes sense.

The thing is, I'm not really sure exactly what the issue is, but all I was told is that there may be some issues with the lead-in cable. I know there is an existing lead-in cable as I was able to confirm with one of the Telstra Customer Service reps that there was a Telstra phone service in the property sometime in 2008. He also did a check of which other addresses in the compound had Telstra phone lines and there were a few. The property, by the way, is a townhouse within a compound of about 12 townhomes. 

Another question: TPG was able to assign me a phone number so does this mean that they were able to allocate a node for me at the exchange, and that if I get the lead-in to the property fixed that I will get the phone service right up to my phone socket? Or can there possibly be some other reason aside from a faulty lead-in cable?

I am contemplating cancelling the account with TPG altogether.

If I sign-up with Telstra and they actually confirm that the lead-in cable needs to be fixed, can Telstra facilitate this and will this be included in the $299 fee as part of the new connection fee? 

Renee
Support Team
Support Team

Heya gcuenca,

In regard to being assigned a number, not knowing the processes of other providers, I cannot confirm nor deny that they have been able to secure a node, but usually in most cases this is the case; I guess you'll find out as the process continues.

If you do choose to go with Telstra, we will identify if there is work that needs to be done and also advise as to whether this is work that can be undertaken by us, or another contractor.

The $299 is for a new in-place connection, (ie. a lead-in that has never been connected to the exchange) therefore would be in addition to any other fees for further work, if applicable of course.

If you would like to discuss this further, you are of course, more than welcome to have a chat with one of our 24x7 Live Chat Consultants.

Hope this helps. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

gcuenca

Thanks Renee.

Just as an FYI, I have just cancelled my application with TPG and will apply with Telstra once I get my refund. Hopefully the experience with Telstra will be a lot better and the turnaround as quick as the responses in this forum. :-)

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more