Custer17
Level 1: Cadet

I need to recieve a SMS in Europe, but can't connect to the networks here

Answered

Hello community,

I have a problem.

I was in Australia for a year and had a Telstra pre-paid SIM card. Now that I am back in Europe I have a new phone contract. 

Yesterday I wanted to log-in on a website with 2 factor authentication and realised, that I was using my Australian phone number for it.

My situation now is like this:

- The support on this website is garbage

- I need to recieve a security code which is sent to my Australian number

- I haven't recharged my Telstra account in mounths

- I can't connect to any network where i live

Is there a way to get into one of the networks here? Do I have to recharge my account in order to recieve SMS? Can I somehow see my SMS online?

Thx guys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: I need to recieve a SMS in Europe, but can't connect to the networks here

Is there a way to get into one of the networks here?
as long as there is a partner carrier in that country. It varies from country to country. You can check at https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/availability-pricing/post-paid#prepaidplans

Do I have to recharge my account in order to recieve SMS?
No you don't however, if you have not recharged for over 6 months the SIM card will become deactivated and the number goes into quarantine. Once this has happened it generally cannot be recovered.

Can I somehow see my SMS online?
No
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
DrQ
Accepted Solution

Is there a way to get into one of the networks here?
as long as there is a partner carrier in that country. It varies from country to country. You can check at https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/availability-pricing/post-paid#prepaidplans

Do I have to recharge my account in order to recieve SMS?
No you don't however, if you have not recharged for over 6 months the SIM card will become deactivated and the number goes into quarantine. Once this has happened it generally cannot be recovered.

Can I somehow see my SMS online?
No
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Not sure if the SMS would go through whilst on International Roaming if the phone has no credit as the phone may not connect to the network anyway.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jupiter

Go to the website that you want to access and contact their customer support. They should be able to change where your code gets sent to. If they are a half decent website, they will have a procedure in place for customers who have lost access to their mobile or email address that they used to sign up with.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You're not charged to receive SMS while roaming.
The Prepaid Service should connect internationally as long as the SIM and associated account is active.

I also agree with contacting the support for the site you're attempting to access. In most instances, there is a recovery process that can either temporarily turn off 2 factor authentication so this can be adjusted, or a reset process to obtain your verification code via another method.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more