Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

internet connection to new house

I have placed an order for the home broadband bundle for my new property.

I told the sales representative that there was telephone socket inside the house. But there is no grey telstra box. I said I needed a new telephone line.

Situation of the house:

New property. Telephone socket inside the house. There are cables come out of the house from a hole. The builder told me that he has already put a draw cable in place (orange string) which could significantly reduce the technician's work.

The sales representative was very nice, she created account for me, advised about the fees and explained what needs to be done.

She gave me the number for lead-in team and an order number.

I have called the lead-in team to organise a lead in installation (physical connection from outside house to the exchange) and was given a job number. I was told that a third party contractor will contact me on my mobile within 3 business days.

Things need to be clarified:

1. is that the external contractor's job to connect the line outside my house to the exchange?

2. who is going to install the grey box outside the house for me?

3. Have I gone through the correct procedures?  as I have been calling different departments in telstra in the last 5 days to organise a brand new connection and internet service, I have been so confused. I need to make sure what I have done is correct.

Can somebody help me out.

Thanks a lot.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: internet connection to new house

Hi jiajiajing, 

Just to clarify, is there any trench work that needs to be done from the boundary point of your properly up to the house? 

Generally the builder will take care of this. 

If not, this would be why you need a contractor so that work can be performed. 

However if all that needs to be done is a line run from the boundary point into the house, and everything is in place for a line to be run through, then all that should be needed is a Telstra technician to complete the new line install. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

There's no trench work needs to be done. As I said in my post, the builder has already put a tube underground. The tube has been installed between the house and the electricity pole in front my house. There is pull cable at both ends of the tube. The builder told me that what telstra techinician needs to do is to pull the actual cable from the house end to the electricity pole end, then connect it to the exchange (I believe this job is called lead in installation).

I actually engaged a private contractor to come to my house. He told me that what he could do was to put the cable in place. However, the final connection to exchange has to be done by Telstra staff. Then I called telstra and has been advised that "putting the cable and connecting to exchange" is lead in, as such I cancelled the private contractor's job as I had to call telstra lead in team anyway.

So the situation for my house now is:

1. there is a tube in place for the cable to be installed

2. connection to exchange needs to be carried out by telstra staff, don't know how much it will cost

3. phone line installation (telstra calls it professional installation) needs to be done after the line has been connected to the exchange (i was advised $240 will be charged)

4. delivery of modem and internet activation after the phone line installation (i was advised $89 will be charged for activation).

5. a job number for lead in has been created and i was told a technician will contact me in 3 business days, today is the second day and I am still waiting.

Can you please let me know if I have done anything wrong so far? what else I need to follow up?

Thank you very much!

Highlighted

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

There's no trench work needs to be done. As I said in my post, the builder has already put a tube underground. The tube has been installed between the house and the electricity pole in front my house. There is pull cable at both ends of the tube. The builder told me that what telstra techinician needs to do is to pull the actual cable from the house end to the electricity pole end, then connect it to the exchange (I believe this job is called lead in installation).

I actually engaged a private contractor to come to my house. He told me that what he could do was to put the cable in place. However, the final connection to exchange has to be done by Telstra staff. Then I called telstra and has been advised that "putting the cable and connecting to exchange" is lead in, as such I cancelled the private contractor's job as I had to call telstra lead in team anyway.

So the situation for my house now is:

1. there is a tube in place for the cable to be installed

2. connection to exchange needs to be carried out by telstra staff, don't know how much it will cost

3. phone line installation (telstra calls it professional installation) needs to be done after the line has been connected to the exchange (i was advised $240 will be charged)

4. delivery of modem and internet activation after the phone line installation (i was advised $89 will be charged for activation).

5. a job number for lead in has been created and i was told a technician will contact me in 3 business days, today is the second day and I am still waiting.

Can you please let me know if I have done anything wrong so far? what else I need to follow up?

Thank you very much!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for clarifying that jiajiajing.

If this is a brand new add property, the charge applicable for connecting a Telephone Line Service from the Network Connection Point (usually the pit out of the front of your home or in the street) through the conduit and right up to the first socket in your house is $299. Additional charges for any non-standard works such as an additional socket if you request this or if the tech determines that further prep-work is required - difficult for us to confirm via CrowdSupport and would be best to wait for the technician visit.

Detailed descriptions including diagrams can be found at: https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf-b/017153a02-lead-in-cabling.pdf

Sounds like you've done all you can for now and commend you on being so organized! If you have an order or job number, you can contact our LiveChat Team at http://tel.st/hsc3 or via 13 22 00 who can follow this up with our 'Pre-Provisioning Team' as they are known, on your behalf

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hi, thanks for the link.

I have called the lead in department this morning to follow up the job no. I was told that I wlll be contacted by a technician anytime before 3.30PM Monday 26 June 2017 to schedule a time to come to my house.

You mentioned the $299 fee. Could you explain in details what service is included in the $299?

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hello, check out this link for details on this cost https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones-Services/299-connection-fee-to-a-rental-apartment...

Someone from call centre told me that a technician would call me today by 3.30PM. I know it's not 3.30PM yet, but seriously? Do I really need to wait until the last minute for the phone call.....?

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more