Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Lead in connection - trenching

Answered

My family recently moved into a brand new house in November last year and it has currently been a painstakingly slow process to get our telephone line connected. The builder unfortunately did not bother to connect any lead in to the home and it has fallen to us to get it sorted.

We have contacted Telstra to get the line connected, and we have been told that it is going to be a fairly large undertaking as they will need to bore under the road from the other side of the street etc. That's fine - they have given us a deadline for the external work to be completed.

But what I am unsure about is the connection from the (newly installed) telstra pit in front of our house to phone cables that are currently dangling out of the wall at the front of our house (I beleive that is the network boundary access point). We were told that we needed to arrange a trench to be dug and a conduit laid and then filled back up again (it's a townhouse, so the distance between the pit and our house is only about 3 meters or so). So we contacted Telstra again on 1800 895 319 to arrange for that to happen in December last year.

After several phone calls and reassurances that a contractor would be in touch, until today no contractor has contacted us. What's worse is that we get a different story/excuse everytime, at one point we were told that the contractors don't even handle trenching. The last time I phone was this Monday and I was told (yet again) that someone would be in touch by Wednesday. Again, no one has called.

To say the least we are all getting seriously fed up. We have been given two job reference numbers - one for the external work (council property etc) and one for the trench in our front yard to be dug.

Should we just wait for the external work to be done before (attempting) to contact Telstra again about the work on our own land or does this need to be organised in conjunction with the external work?

Lost and confused.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Lead in connection - trenching

I just thought I'd close off my own thread since it's been resolved... for the most part at least.

Unfortunately Renee never got back to me Smiley Sad. A little dissappointing on that part.

But the contractor responsible for the lead in work finally contacted me last week and finished all the work yesterday, including digging the trench, laying the conduit and filling it back up again (this part was at my own expense as I had expected). I have noticed other posts from Telsta employees claiming that their contractors don't do trenching, which I think is misleading. It just depends on which contractor gets allocated to you and whether or not they are willing to do the work or not.

Anyway now I just have to wait for the 2nd part of the connection - which is for a Telstra technician to actually connect all the wires and what not. Called Telstra again yesterday and they said that they needed confirmation from the contractor first that the work had been completed, even though I had told them that the contractor had specifically told me that it had been done.

Hopefully it will all be over in a matter of days and I can put this behind me.

Fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Heya Asher22,

Welcome to CrowdSupport. Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that it has taken quite a frustrating situation to bring you here. :\

I'm keen to look into this further for you, if you could please send me a private message, we'll go from there.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Renee

I sent you a private message yesterday morning. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I just thought I'd close off my own thread since it's been resolved... for the most part at least.

Unfortunately Renee never got back to me Smiley Sad. A little dissappointing on that part.

But the contractor responsible for the lead in work finally contacted me last week and finished all the work yesterday, including digging the trench, laying the conduit and filling it back up again (this part was at my own expense as I had expected). I have noticed other posts from Telsta employees claiming that their contractors don't do trenching, which I think is misleading. It just depends on which contractor gets allocated to you and whether or not they are willing to do the work or not.

Anyway now I just have to wait for the 2nd part of the connection - which is for a Telstra technician to actually connect all the wires and what not. Called Telstra again yesterday and they said that they needed confirmation from the contractor first that the work had been completed, even though I had told them that the contractor had specifically told me that it had been done.

Hopefully it will all be over in a matter of days and I can put this behind me.

Fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Asher22,

It is good to hear that things are progressing for you. I am sorry about the confusion around the trenching. The message that we should be getting across is not that the contractor won't do the work, rather that the cost of the trenching is not included in the connection fee and that you have the option of having our contractor do the work and bill you separately for that or using your own contractor or even digging the trench yourself.

Let us know what happens with the technician appointment Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Well everything's finally done, dusted and working. When I picked up my phone and heard that sweet, sweet dialtone, it was as if a chorus of angels had begun to sing overhead!

I hope I never have to call customer support again in my life. Here's hoping.

Highlighted

Hi Renee, I got the same problem as Asher22. and called service centra many times, got different excuses. and Had no idea how to get the connection done. I moved in the new townhouse before Chrismas last. it's been a long time. very confused how to solve this problem.
Highlighted

Hi Ashley, I got the same problem as Asher22. and called service centra many times, got different excuses. and Had no idea how to get the connection done. I moved in the new townhouse before Chrismas last. it's been a long time. very confused how to solve this problem.
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

So you have contacted the Pre-provisioning Team on 1800 895 319 and they have not been able to organise a contractor to be sent out?

Can you tell me what information you have been given?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

The service centre just required us to call 1800 1300 15 then gave us the case manager's 4 digit pin number. That's it.

At first, they required us to provide the AFR number, then they kept telling us the request need to be approved by the builder, but the confirmation had already done two months ago. Then the case manager said he needed to wait for the investigation etc. and would contact us later. Another one month past , no reply at all, each time when i call the case manager, and it refer to the answer machine. If i call the initial help. it refers me back to the case manager again. It is an uncomfortable experience with the customer service at all.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Can you send me a private message with all the reference numbers you have and any additional detail that may help get a resolution for you?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

I sent a private message to you with ref.NO.
thanks
Highlighted
Community Manager

I will be in touch by COB tomorrow.

Highlighted

thanks, hope it can help. have a good night.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more