Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Moving house

Answered

Hey,

We have just moved back into my parents to get for a month before moving interstate. We have a broadband contract connected at our apartment I'm just wondering what needs to happen with it in the mean time, as silly as this sounds am I able to just unplug it from the apartment and just reconnect it all when we're settled at our new address or are we going to have to pay for it to be cancelled here and reconnected later?

If we do need to cancel or reconnect what are the fees involved?

Cheers,

Mel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Moving house

If you already know your new address you should be able to organise a relocation with differing disconnection and reconnection dates.

If you don't know then it's generally a no-no to just leave your service connected. This is because any usage or charges incurred should new tenants plug a phone/modem in would be billed to you, and also because it can cause delays and messing around for a new tenant to connect their service in place of yours.

So, really unless you know the new address now, then you'll likely have to cancel and wear any early termination fees involved.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you already know your new address you should be able to organise a relocation with differing disconnection and reconnection dates.

If you don't know then it's generally a no-no to just leave your service connected. This is because any usage or charges incurred should new tenants plug a phone/modem in would be billed to you, and also because it can cause delays and messing around for a new tenant to connect their service in place of yours.

So, really unless you know the new address now, then you'll likely have to cancel and wear any early termination fees involved.

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Ok thank you Kalak.

We don't know our new address yet so looks like we'll be wearing the termination fee.

Thanks for you help

Smiley Happy

Highlighted

We have a home broadband bundle and have sold our house and will be moving in early Feb 16.  We will be living with relatives and for approx 3 months waiting for our new house to be built.  Our contract is due to expire in Feb 17.

We obviously know the address of where we wish to have our broadband connected. Can we suspend our contract for approx 3 months until our house is completed OR must we cancel our contract (and pay the early termination fee) and rejoin Telstra we we move in.

How are the early termination charges calculated.?????????

Highlighted

I'm not aware of any way to put a fixed line contract on hold in these circumstances.

Assuming no other contracted services, such as Foxtel, Telstra Platinum or the like the normal early termination fee works out to be $15/mth remaining on the contract.

Highlighted

I have put a move order on 28/2/2017 and still no progress. MOV-55555.   I have spent all up 6hours on the phone and no one from Telstra can offer a solution.   All I want is a lead in cable for Internet as I had before and Telstra tell me that they cannot connect copper cable anymore and that I need to connect with nbn. When I tell them that non will be available est end of 2017 early 2018 I was told that I would have to wait for nbn connection. 

Surely youre joking. I live in suburban Sydney and I have to wait that long

Although I have been loyal to Telstra for several years with a large account Iit seems that I will be left with no other option but to look for alternate provider that connect cable internet

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi NP52 

The Government stopped laying the Cable several years ago, so Cable services are only available to homes that have existing infrastructure available. 

Have you confirmed what internet services are actually available at your new address? Is ADSL an option? 

Our 24x7 Broadband Team  http://tel.st/83vp would be able to discuss your options in detail. 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more